Has anyone chosen not to buy insurance?

cards09

We have been traveling since the early l980s, have well over 30+ cruises all over the world, have never bought insurance. We generally buy our own air, book our own hotels and travel with extra time before and after a cruise. We are healthy and felt we could cancel in advance if we needed to so for years it really did not seem to make sense to buy insurance.

We are getting older so looked into buying insurance independently. Found for my husband's age over 75 yrs it really is impossible to do so. Especially medivac which is really the only insurance we would be interested in getting as we get older.

And if you have a pre existing condition and you have any change in medication within 3 months of a trip the insurance is not valid. With Medicare, medications are sometimes change based on cost containment which has nothing to do with health issues.

We have 3 trips booked at the moment thru 2011. Still no insurance.

Since my husband is getting older probably will start getting insurance thru the cruise line in the future. I will turn 65 in 2 years, then we will both be under Medicare. Then it makes more since for us to book with insurance. What we want is health and medivac given our age. Don't really care about trip cancellation insurance.

Wow! What trip insurance policies have you researched that do not cover over 75 years of age and pre-existing conditions which deny liability if you change your medications within three months? Medicare has nothing to do with cruising, as you are not covered on board or ashore. It sounds like you're comparing apples to star fruit. Have you even researched the many different trip insurance policies? I would NEVER purchase cruise line trip insurance. I can get a better deal with far better coverage elsewhere. Sounds to me like you've been really lucky so far!

I used to purchase various types of insurance until I learned from an insurance professor that we should not purchase insurance unless we cannot afford the loss.

His theory is do not buy extended warranty, travel insurance (except medical), and whole life insurance, because the risk is too low and premiun too high. If we lose, it won't ruin our life.

He said however eveyone should purchase term life insurance, long term disability, and mortgage insurance because if we die our family will be in financial jeopardy.

I like the way your professor thinks. We carry an annual travel medical and evacuation policy. I can afford to eat the cost if I must cancel, replace luggage, etc if need be.

I don't have "travel" insurance for our up coming cruise and did not have it when we went to Jamaica in 2008. I am not planning canceling our trip and would only cancel if a close relitive died right before we left. A risk I will take. Me and my wife are in our mid 20's and have no children. Our insurance will cover us just like if we were here in the in United States. Any other cost that might come up, if something does happen, I can eat adn am willing to take the chance. I am also the guy who never buys warrenties ect.

I do have car insurance (which is not required in WI yet) and renters insurance. But if something happened I could not eat the cost of replacing those items or the liabilty if someone was injured or killed. (car insurance coverage)

It all comes down to being comfertable with the risks. Obviously some people do use the insurance, but vast majority don't otherwise insurance companies would go broke and/or it would cost a heck of a lot more.

Wow! What trip insurance policies have you researched that do not cover over 75 years of age and pre-existing conditions which deny liability if you change your medications within three months? Medicare has nothing to do with cruising, as you are not covered on board or ashore. It sounds like you're comparing apples to star fruit. Have you even researched the many different trip insurance policies? I would NEVER purchase cruise line trip insurance. I can get a better deal with far better coverage elsewhere. Sounds to me like you've been really lucky so far!

Here is a statement from Medicare regarding medical coverage outside of the U.S.:

Medicare generally doesn’t cover health care while you’re traveling outside the United States. Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa, and the Northern Mariana Islands are considered part of the United States. There are some exceptions. In some cases, Medicare Part B may pay for services that you get while on board a ship within the territorial waters adjoining the land areas of the United States. In rare cases, Medicare Part A may pay for inpatient hospital services that you get in a foreign country under the following circumstances:• You’re in the United States when a medical emergency occurs, and the foreign hospital is closer than the nearest United States hospital that can treat the emergency.• You’re traveling through Canada without unreasonable delay by the most direct route between Alaska and another state when a medical emergency occurs, and the Canadian hospital is closer than the nearest United States hospital that can treat the emergency. • You live in the United States and the foreign hospital is closer to your home than the nearest United States hospital that can treat your medical condition, regardless of whether an emergency exists. Medicare also pays for doctor and ambulance services you get in a foreign country as part of a covered inpatient hospital stay. In 2010, YOU pay 100% of charges, in most cases. In the situations described above, you pay the part of the charge that you would normally pay for covered services.

I don't have "travel" insurance for our up coming cruise and did not have it when we went to Jamaica in 2008. I am not planning canceling our trip and would only cancel if a close relitive died right before we left. A risk I will take. Me and my wife are in our mid 20's and have no children. Our insurance will cover us just like if we were here in the in United States. Any other cost that might come up, if something does happen, I can eat adn am willing to take the chance. I am also the guy who never buys warrenties ect.

I do have car insurance (which is not required in WI yet) and renters insurance. But if something happened I could not eat the cost of replacing those items or the liabilty if someone was injured or killed. (car insurance coverage)

It all comes down to being comfertable with the risks. Obviously some people do use the insurance, but vast majority don't otherwise insurance companies would go broke and/or it would cost a heck of a lot more.

Wisconsin doesn't require car insurance? Or, are you just talking about COMPREHENSIVE (which would cover your actual car ) or LIABILITY, which, to my knowledge, is REQUIRED in all 50 US states. Sorry - having trouble comprehending your post. Your health insurance will cover you on a cruise ship or anywhere outside the US? Are you sure about this? No cruise ship's clinic will accept a US health card. You have to pay up front, and then submit the receipt to your health provider, who may or may not pay for part or all of your expenses. A good idea would be to check things out.

Don't you think you can get good health care in the counties you visit and at a very reasonable price compared to the US?

Not for less than the price of the insurance, no.

My retiree health insurance stopped paying coverage for "out of country" coverage this year. (Check your policies).

Less than $200 and everything is covered: lost luggage, missed ports, missed flights, medical evac--everything.

worth it.

:D

Glad to know that you are financially secure enough to "eat" the cost of medical evacuation which can approach six figures in some cases. Being young and healthy will not help if you get hit by a bus in a foreign country (yeah, yeah, I know you are careful crossing the street :D)

We travel over 3 months a year and have never purchased travel insurance. IMO it is a total waste of money. Have heard horror stories about folks who purchased travel insurance only to have their claim denied for some technicality.

We do have an out of country health insurance policy that we purchase on an annual basis for $349 total for the 2 of us. It includes emergency air evacuation for both of us if necessary. The policy covers all travel 365 24/7 whenever we leave the US. The only "catch" is you must already have regular health insurance that covers you full time in the US. This policy kicks in to cover anything your regular policy does not whenever you are out of the country.

There are many companies offering the same coverage. The one we use is HTH Worldwide. A simple Google search will bring it up online.

We have been traveling since the early l980s, have well over 30+ cruises all over the world, have never bought insurance. We generally buy our own air, book our own hotels and travel with extra time before and after a cruise. We are healthy and felt we could cancel in advance if we needed to so for years it really did not seem to make sense to buy insurance.

We are getting older so looked into buying insurance independently. Found for my husband's age over 75 yrs it really is impossible to do so. Especially medivac which is really the only insurance we would be interested in getting as we get older.

And if you have a pre existing condition and you have any change in medication within 3 months of a trip the insurance is not valid. With Medicare, medications are sometimes change based on cost containment which has nothing to do with health issues.

Since my husband is getting older probably will start getting insurance thru the cruise line in the future. I will turn 65 in 2 years, then we will both be under Medicare. Then it makes more since for us to book with insurance. What we want is health and medivac given our age. Don't really care about trip cancellation insurance.

My DH is 78 and I've had a hard time finding evac coverage too. I just purchased medical & evac coverage for our April cruise from USAA at a reasonable price. Our medical insurance will reimburse us when we're out of the country (before it comes up, I know medicare doesn't cover out of the US but we have other coverage that does) but they package them together, which is fine.

When you go to their website (usaa.com), don't let the "Become a Member" throw you off. There are no fees associated with membership..............

If you can afford to "eat" the cost of your vacation, should something go wrong...then you don't NEED to buy insurance. If you aren't willing to lose that money, or can't afford to, then insurance is a small price to pay.

We've done it both ways...have never needed the insurance, thankfully, but didn't mind paying the price for it the times we bought it.

only cruised once WITHOUT...ever since it is ALWAYs figured in with the cost of my cruise and i WONT travel without it...if i can CRUISE...i can AFFORD the INSURANCE and it is WORTH it...JUST IN CASE....i dont want to be ONE of the ONEs posting a SAD STORY starting out with IF ONLY WE HAD GOTTEN INSURANCE!!!

I don't care if I'm cruising for 2 days or 2 weeks......if my feet are leaving US soil I am going to make darn sure I have insurance.

It always bothers me to read people stating they are healthy so they don't need insurance.. I wonder how many "healthy" people have ever slipped and fallen or have gotten a virus or worse yet gotten a call that a family member back home has taken ill? Heck I have known "healthy" people in our community who have had a heart attack in their 40's.

If something happens I want to get the best care I can and if it's serious enough I want to be able to get back "home" as quickly as possible.

What about people who are covered by their medical insurance companies outside of the country?

I don't think you can ever say buying insurance (or not buying it) is a good or bad gamble without taking into account the particulars or the trip. My wife and I are both reasonably young (32 & 25), I've checked with my health insurance (i have a Blue Cross PPO) and they do in fact cover me outside of the US (including evacuation I was told by the operator I spoke to- but cannot verify if that is actually the case until I receive and read the documents they are sending me), and we are planning on flying into our departure port approx. 36 hours before departure, so for us it didn't seem worth it to purchase insurance. Sure, something could happen, but the trip wasn't that expensive (relatively speaking -a little over $2000 for a 7 day cruise), so we'll probably take our chances....

But if we were 40 years older, or flying in the day of departure, or taking a much more expensive trip, or any number of other contributing factors, than I would definitely have purchased insurance. (If for nothing else than just piece of mind)....

I agree with that in theory. It makes little sense to buy insurance (an extended warranty) on your refrigerator. It's not likely to break, and if it does, you can probably afford another without much trouble. The risk of something happening to your refrigerator is low, and you're very unlikely to collect any benefit from that insurance -- it's better to keep the premium money.

Continuing that train of thought, we have relatively high deductibles on our home owner's insurance and cars. Why? Because it lowers our premiums by almost half. I've owned a home for 20 years and have never filed a claim. I've been driving for 28 years and have never filed a claim. If tomorrow something awful happens and I need to use those insurance policies, I'll have to pay a high deductible . . . but it'll be worthwhile because I've saved a ton in premium payments over all those years. Also, I have the resources with which to pay a higher deductible; someone younger, just starting out might not be able to do that -- and it's important to consider that when making these choices.

We choose not to buy insurance for our trips. We figure if something that drastic happens the last thing we are going to be worried about is the money we lost. We also have high deductibles on our vehicles. As a matter of fact two of our vehicles (which we do not owe any payments on) are not insured against damage to the vehicle, only on the other person's vehicle or personal injury. Just last week our teenager wrecked one of the two vehicles, totalled it, although he was not injured. Having no insurance on that vehicle means it is a total loss. However, my husband prefers it that way because he figures in the higher cost of the insurance premiums outweighs the replacement cost over time.

Wisconsin doesn't require car insurance? Or, are you just talking about COMPREHENSIVE (which would cover your actual car ) or LIABILITY, which, to my knowledge, is REQUIRED in all 50 US states. Sorry - having trouble comprehending your post. Your health insurance will cover you on a cruise ship or anywhere outside the US? Are you sure about this? No cruise ship's clinic will accept a US health card. You have to pay up front, and then submit the receipt to your health provider, who may or may not pay for part or all of your expenses. A good idea would be to check things out.
This was true years ago; it may or may not still be true today: You don't actually HAVE TO buy liability insurance for your car, INSTEAD you can post a very large bond to be held in case you cause an accident. In the real world, however, anyone who could afford to post such a bond would want to invest that money -- car insurance isn't all that expensive.

Cruise ships won't "take" American health insurance, BUT since many of them reimburse you, that's not a bad deal.

:D

Glad to know that you are financially secure enough to "eat" the cost of medical evacuation which can approach six figures in some cases. Being young and healthy will not help if you get hit by a bus in a foreign country (yeah, yeah, I know you are careful crossing the street :D)

Keep in mind that you're talking about a worst, worst, worst case scenerio: You're talking about being injured, being injured badly enough that you can't be treated on the ship, badly enough that you can't be treated in a local hospital. While it could happen, it is a very, very remote possibility.

The real question is, "What's your tolerance for financial risk?"

How many people have even been on a ship where someone was evacuated for medical reasons? I don't think I have been.

We are in your age bracket and have no trouble whatsoever purchasing travel insurance that covers everything from pre-existing conditions to medical emergencies to medical evacuation.

There are NO stipulations in any of our policies at all about any change in medication 3 months in advance of a trip. :confused: My husband's blood pressure and diabetes medication is adjusted on an "as needed" basis, depending on his B/P readings and sugar levels. He has had, on several occasions, medications added/deleted just before our leaving on a cruise. I have not seen any such stipulation anywhere - can you tell me what company provides this clause as a part of it's issuance?

What type companies have you looked into? We have used Travel-Ex and Access America, as well as some cruise-line insurance (tho' not very often). No problems at all.

If what you say is true, there would not many elderly passengers traveling as most could not afford to lose their trip costs and airline costs, let alone pony up $25,000+ for a medical emergency or medical evacaution while traveling.

How many people have even been on a ship where someone was evacuated for medical reasons? I don't think I have been.

I have not been on as many cruises as most of you but I have seen someone medically evacuated on at least 3 different cruises. The first time the ship had to make an unscheduled stop at an island for a gentleman to be taken off on a stretcher. The second time a lady had a heart attack just before we reached Nassau. The ambulance was waiting on her when we docked and she was taken to a hospital there. And the third time a gentleman had a heart attack on the pool deck. He was rushed to the infirmary and I was "told" he was taken off the ship when we docked in St Thomas.

I don't know what happened to these good folks, but I always hope and pray they have insurance......

A passenger was med-evac'd off the Oosterdam on our November 2009 Panama Canal cruise by the US Coast Guard Med-Evac Helicopter and flown on to San Diego. I overheard one of the ship's officers remarking that he "..hoped the passenger had travel insurance." We later heard the cost could run more than $25,000.00.

My DH recorded the entire rescue from our balcony. It took nearly 45 minutes and some phenomenal "working together" by the ship's captain and the pilot of the helicopter, because the helicopter was not able to land. The entire rescue was done by raising and lowering the "basket" - first placing the USCG EMT on board, then getting the patient, one of the ship's nurses, and the EMT back in the chopper. Quite a feat of maneuverability, believe me, and quite costly as well.

So, yes - it does happen, as all the passengers on that particular cruise can tell you.

Well I have never heard of anyone travelling without insurance. We have adequate insurance with our bank account, not free as such, premium account charges include it. Most regular travellers have an annual policy multi trip.

My family and I have taken 16 cruises. Before our last cruise we had purchased insurance only once before. Before our last cruise I realized that we wouldn't just lose the cost of the cruise if we had an accident or health issue. I knew someone who had to be air evacuated and the price was unbelieveable. Even with good health there is always the possiblity you can have an accident or appendicitis attack or any other emergency and would need to be medvaced. To lose a few thousand dollars because you missed the ship would be manageable to many people but to lose $20,000 or more is another issue. We were lucky in the past but from now on I, personally, will go with the insurance.

There are NO stipulations in any of our policies at all about any change in medication 3 months in advance of a trip. I have not seen any such stipulation anywhere - can you tell me what company provides this clause as a part of it's issuance?

They just about all do. Here's from one Travel Guard plan:

In the General Exclusions:

"LIMITATIONS AND EXCLUSIONS

PRE-EXISTING MEDICAL condition exclusion:

The Insurer will not pay for any Loss or expense incurred as the result of an Injury, Sickness or other condition of an Insured, Traveling Companion, Business Partner, or Family Member which, within the 60 day period immediately preceding and including the Insured's coverage effective date:

(a) first manifested itself, worsened or became acute or had symptoms which would have prompted a reasonable person to seek diagnosis, care or treatment;

(b) for which care or treatment was given or recommended by a Physician;

© required taking prescription drugs or medicines, unless the condition for which the drugs or medicines are taken remains controlled without any change in the required prescription drugs or medicines."

So with this plan if your meds change in the 60 day period prior to the effective date of the coverage (for the medical coverage this means 60 days prior to your departure, for trip cancellation it means the 60 day period prior to purchasing the policy) whatever is being treated is now a pre-existing condition and is excluded from coverage. If your meds have not changed and the condition is stable then it's not excluded from coverage.

Every plan I'm aware of has similar wording. When in doubt, buy your policy in the time frame necessary to get the whole pre-existing condition exclusion waived.

They just about all do. Here's from one Travel Guard plan:

In the General Exclusions:

"LIMITATIONS AND EXCLUSIONS

PRE-EXISTING MEDICAL condition exclusion:

The Insurer will not pay for any Loss or expense incurred as the result of an Injury, Sickness or other condition of an Insured, Traveling Companion, Business Partner, or Family Member which, within the 60 day period immediately preceding and including the Insured's coverage effective date:

(a) first manifested itself, worsened or became acute or had symptoms which would have prompted a reasonable person to seek diagnosis, care or treatment;

(b) for which care or treatment was given or recommended by a Physician;

© required taking prescription drugs or medicines, unless the condition for which the drugs or medicines are taken remains controlled without any change in the required prescription drugs or medicines."

So with this plan if your meds change in the 60 day period prior to the effective date of the coverage (for the medical coverage this means 60 days prior to your departure, for trip cancellation it means the 60 day period prior to purchasing the policy) whatever is being treated is now a pre-existing condition and is excluded from coverage. If your meds have not changed and the condition is stable then it's not excluded from coverage.

Every plan I'm aware of has similar wording. When in doubt, buy your policy in the time frame necessary to get the whole pre-existing condition exclusion waived.

I understand what you are saying here. However, since my DH has had high blood pressure and diabetes for many years, and the dosage is merely adjusted to accomodate fluctuations in those conditions, the insurance company says that this is NOT considered a "new" pre-existing condition ( if that is even the correct terminology) - but a rather a medical adjustment for a previous condition. We always travel with a Dr's certification that he is physically fit to travel (have never had to produce it, but we have it all the same) and copies of all his prescription meds from the pharmacy for the preceding 12 months. The medications generally remain the same - it is only the dosage that is changed. I know that once, the Dr. did change his diabetes prescription, but that did not alter our coverage, either. He is a Type II diabetic.

We did have to get him a prescription for gout shortly before a cruise, and also one for gurd before another cruise. Neither of those affected our coverage. At least, that is what we were told. He, fortunately, has never been ill on any of our trips.

He does not have heart trouble, emphysema, cancer or anything of that type, and I cannot speak to what the insurance policies limitations would be on those type of conditions. I am only speaking from the point of view of what we have experienced. And yes - we do try to get all medications updated within 60 - 90 days of traveling.

I am fairly certain that if a passenger should develop a previously undiagnosed condition, or experience a drastic change in a pre-diagnosed condition, after purchasing travel insurance, that it would most certainly affect the coverage.

Thanks for the courteous reply and I wish you Smooth Sailing always!! :)

I've never bought trip insurance. I tend to be a very lucky person. One day I'm sure my luck will run out.

Ditto, I've been cruising since I was 19 and I'm 63 now. I've never bought insurance. Maybe someday if I'm in "iffy" health I might think about it. I too have been "lucky" so far.:D

Insurance in the UK isn't that expensive, even if not included £100 would cover it. Now one thing is we have to have travel insurance when we go to the US because all our healthcare is basically free at home & in the USA it costs a fortune. Even so if a person has an accident away from home it could be a false economy not to have insurance. It is virtually unheard of not to have insurance here.

I have never purchased insurance and have cruised four Springs in a row with my family of four. All have been to the Caribbean. Now, we have a summer Med cruise and I am considering it. It is not a strong consideration. Not insuring is really self-insurance, a concept that doesn't bother me. There's a good reason a large portion of the real estate in the US is owned by insurance companies. I guess I'm just getting in on the action. Much of this depends on one's own family situation, health, etc. Circumstances might dictate we buy insurance at some point.

Archived