passport card vs. passport book

dsck4

Just looking to see what everyone else is doing. We have two stops in mexico on our 5 night cruise. We are driving to our mobile, AL port.

I am really considering getting the passport card instead of the book. We will only do cruises or will be staying in the US on our vacations.

Thanks!!

If you are injured or become ill on a cruise and need to fly back to the U.S. for treatment, you will be unable to do so until you get the necessary paperwork from the nearest consulate or embassy. A passport is like insurance: you don't need it until you need it, and then you really, really need it.

I think if you check with the State Department, you will find that the Passport Card is currently valid only for entry from Canada.
The card is only suitable for those who live along the border with Canada, and drive back and forth over the border regularly..NOT for flying anywhere. Get the passport book.
Actually, if you check the State Dept website it says:

The new wallet-size U.S. Passport Card is a travel document that can be used to enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry.

But I agree that the passport book is a far wiser investment, since the OP can technically travel with just a BC and ID, the passport card is a waste of money.

I think if you check with the State Department, you will find that the Passport Card is currently valid only for entry from Canada.

We just returned from a cruise last Sunday that started and ended in Ft Lauderdale and all we used when we went through US Immigration is our Passport Card. The Immigration officer was so amused and said it was the first time he'd seen anyone with the Card. He said he thought it was cool for US citizens to have the passport card for their closed loop cruises because they're much more practical for carrying in closed loop cruises than the passport.

It might be more practical in terms of a smaller item to carry. OTOH, it is FAR less versatile.

Get the regular passport. I am continually amazed at the great reluctance of someone to have a passport. It can NEVER hurt to have it, and can often be a great single document to prove citizenship and identity.

The card is perfect for cruise travel from the US to the Caribbean. One important thing the card cannot be used for is boarding an airplane. We have both the card & the passport; we prefer to use the card for our photo ID whenever we go on shore.

The card is perfect for cruise travel from the US to the Caribbean. One important thing the card cannot be used for is boarding an airplane. We have both the card & the passport; we prefer to use the card for our photo ID whenever we go on shore.

When we flew to our cruise port, we used the passport card as the photo ID to board the plane. Not a problem at all. I know you can't use it for international flights, but we've used the card on many domestic flights.

BTW, we have both the card and the full passport.

If there is an emergency at home, and you are in a port in mexico etc., you are stuck. You cannot fly home. Get a passport and have 10 years of piece of mind.;)

But the great thing about being stuck in Mexico is the people are friendly,the booze is cheap and you can always take the bus home if worse comes to worse.:D

Archived