Can't miss places

Thanks Len for starting this thread and also to TLCOhio for the great pics following:

THANKS for the nice and kind comments! Len and I enjoy sharing and giving folks a visual preview of the fun, history and excitement that is available in Europe by cruising. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

THANKS for the nice and kind comments! Len and I enjoy sharing and giving folks a visual preview of the fun, history and excitement that is available in Europe by cruising. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Len is nice enough to provide a link to his pictures so that those who CHOOSE to view them can simply click and view.

Len is nice enough to provide a link to his pictures so that those who CHOOSE to view them can simply click and view.

I only provided a link because some one asked for it. Like Terry, I enjoy putting a few pictures on the site for those that want to see them, can enjoy them. The link I provided has many pix of myself and my wife and I really didn't think that others wanted to see us in every other picture. Those that do put up pix here, try to do so, so others can have a general idea of what you will see when you go to these places. It should be no big deal. RIGHT??

Cheers

Len

That's a little harsh. I, personally, love seeing any photos of the places I'll be visiting this summer. Karen

THANKS much to Karen and Len! Most find the pictures very nice and helpful as either a "preview" for what they will see or to bring back fun memories. Len and I have gotten lots of great comments. People have all different types of opinions and needs. That's their right. Some like long and personal written reviews, others don't. It gives people lots of options to read, view or ignore. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

• 1 month later...

Hi Len, Terry and sbhdmh.

I have been checking these boards for a while now and found some brilliant information and photos to help us prepare ourselves for our Baltic cruise. (P and O Azura May 26th).

I almost feel I know you guys!

Anyway, my question is....from Len's list for Helsinki, the Church and square are mentioned but not much else. At the moment we have a 5 hour tour called "Highlights and Porvoo" booked as a ship's tour for the next day after all the excitement of the two day private tour in SPB. We will also have celebrated our anniversary while there and I am wondering whether a quiet day spent on the ship would be nice to help recover from it all! Also....I read on the board somewhere (I think it was Lairbear) that a day onboard ship while in port can be nice as the majority of people have gone ashore.

I know it would mean missing a few things in Helsinki but if it is easier to just spend a couple of hours in the morning or afternoon in the city then we might just enjoy being on board for the majority of the day.

As first time cruisers we don't want to make a mistake so to summarise...

Has anyone taken this tour and is it a good one?

Would it be nice to experience the ship with fewer passengers on board?

Is it easy to get to Helsinki city centre from the dock for a quick visit?

Would we ultimately regret not spending all day in Helsinki after a busy time in SPB?

So there we are. Terry, I have put aside my shyness, asked many questions and been quite specific!!! What do you think?

Many thanks, Sarah

Is the Suomenlinna Fortress a can't miss place in Helsinki?

For us, it was NOT. We loved the ferry ride there, but once there, we did not find it that interesting. Again, that was just us, many people have found it facinating. I guess it depends on your taste and what you enjoy. frankly, we were bored there. We walked around a bit, found nothing really interesting and caught the next ferry back to Helsinki proper.

But again, YOU may find it a facinating place, depending on your likes and dislikes

Cheers

Len

Hi Len, Terry and sbhdmh.

I have been checking these boards for a while now and found some brilliant information and photos to help us prepare ourselves for our Baltic cruise. (P and O Azura May 26th).

I almost feel I know you guys!

Anyway, my question is....from Len's list for Helsinki, the Church and square are mentioned but not much else. At the moment we have a 5 hour tour called "Highlights and Porvoo" booked as a ship's tour for the next day after all the excitement of the two day private tour in SPB. We will also have celebrated our anniversary while there and I am wondering whether a quiet day spent on the ship would be nice to help recover from it all! Also....I read on the board somewhere (I think it was Lairbear) that a day onboard ship while in port can be nice as the majority of people have gone ashore.

I know it would mean missing a few things in Helsinki but if it is easier to just spend a couple of hours in the morning or afternoon in the city then we might just enjoy being on board for the majority of the day.

Has anyone taken this tour and is it a good one?

Would it be nice to experience the ship with fewer passengers on board?

Is it easy to get to Helsinki city centre from the dock for a quick visit?

Would we ultimately regret not spending all day in Helsinki after a busy time in SPB?

So there we are. Terry, I have put aside my shyness, asked many questions and been quite specific!!! What do you think?

Many thanks, Sarah

Sarah

Don't get me wrong, Helsinki was a wonderful port and we are glad we got to see it. But, compared to some of the other ports, I just found this one to be the place with the least amount of great places to see and things to do. Again, that does not mean it is, or was, a flop. In my original list, I didn't include Senate Square with the magnificent Lutheran Church, I didn't include the Church in the Rock and even the Olympic Stadium. These are great things to see and experience, but I wouldn't call them can't miss things to do.

Before we went, many on this board listed Helsinki as a port where they wish the number of hours spent there were diminished a bit and some how be able to be added to Stockholm, and I agree with that 110%. Helsinki was great but Stockholm was fantastic.

Depending on the amount of time you will be in Helsinki, you could probably do or see most things in about 4 hours. You could also spend 2-3 hours just browsing around Market Square. But if you are looking for a respite from all the touring, and want some 'quiet time' this might be the place to catch up.

Cheers

Len

ukgirlie1,

One can indeed see most of helsinki by just doing a short promenade.

Little over 2 mile city promenade (Assuming your ship docks at West Harbour - Hernesaari LHB or LHC). Bus tickets: 2 x 2.50 Euro:

Bus #16 to Senate Square (Catedral/Council of State/University main building/University Library) - Alexander Street - Main Guard - Presidential Palace - Uspenski Cathedral - Market Square - Northern Esplanade (shopping) - Stockmann department store - Central Street - Railway Station - Sokos department store - Forum Shopping mall - Mannerheim Road - Contemporary Art Museum - Parlament (National Museum further on) - Northern Railroad Street - Museum of Natural History - Arkadia Street - Fredrik street - Rock Church - Bus #14B from corner Arkadia street/Runeberg street back to West Harbour.

But I notice you are on Azura (10th July) that will dock at LMA on the west side of the bay instead of the usual LHB/LHC on the east side of the bay. I assume P & O will arrange transport to the city and that it will stop near the Swedish Theater. In that case a similar promenade would be about 3 miles:

Swedish Theater - Northern Esplanade (shopping) - Market Square - Uspenski Cathedral - Presidential Palace - Main Guard - Alexander Street - Senate Square (Catedral/Council of State/University main building/University Library) - Alexander Street (Shopping) - Stockmann department store - Central Street - Railway Station - Sokos department store - Mannerheim Road - Contemporary Art Museum - Parlament (National Museum further on) - Northern Railroad Street - Museum of Natural History - Arkadia Street - Fredrik street - Rock Church - Fredrik Street - Kamppi shopping mall - Forum shopping mall - Mannerheim Road back to Swedish Theater.

Dear Ultima Thule and Len

Thank you so much for your reply! Very detailed and helpful. I have also been able to download a map of the tram routes around Helsinki from another link available on this thread and now feel better equipped to decide what to do. Thanks Len, we will probably feel able to leave out the ferry trip but will probably try to take ourselves over to the Rock Church and on the way back see how we feel about hanging around for shopping etc. or getting back to the ship and chilling.

I love this website! So helpful and friendly, thanks everyone.

Sarah

Dear Ultima Thule and Len

Thank you so much for your reply! Very detailed and helpful. I have also been able to download a map of the tram routes around Helsinki from another link available on this thread and now feel better equipped to decide what to do. Thanks Len, we will probably feel able to leave out the ferry trip but will probably try to take ourselves over to the Rock Church and on the way back see how we feel about hanging around for shopping etc. or getting back to the ship and chilling.

I love this website! So helpful and friendly, thanks everyone.

Sarah

Hi Len, Terry and sbhdmh. I have been checking these boards for a while now and found some brilliant information and photos to help us prepare ourselves for our Baltic cruise. I almost feel I know you guys!

Anyway, my question is....from Len's list for Helsinki, the Church and square are mentioned but not much else. I know it would mean missing a few things in Helsinki but if it is easier to just spend a couple of hours in the morning or afternoon in the city then we might just enjoy being on board for the majority of the day. As first time cruisers we don't want to make a mistake so to summarise... So there we are. Terry, I have put aside my shyness, asked many questions and been quite specific!!! What do you think? Many thanks, Sarah

Glad, Sarah, you're not shy and asking questions. I would definitely spend some time and see Helsinki. It's not Copenhagen, Stockholm or St. Petersburg. This Finland capital has not had the long, long history and glory of those three cities and their nation's power during the past 500 years. Assuming the weather is nice, seeing the Rock Church, Senate Square, the main market area, etc., is well worth the time and effort. Below are a few more visual samples for what is to experience there. These spots are very close together and within an easy walk of each different place. The Rock Church is a little farther away, but worth a visit there. I liked Helsinki and we had wonderful weather there that day.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Uspenski Cathedral, Helsinki’s traditional Orthodox Church is placed on a solid stone base overlooking the main market:

1A-Helsinki-ChurchRock.jpg

In Helsinki’s main downtown, this is the shopping area next to the main market:

1A-Helsinki-DowntownBldgs.jpg

Helsinki’s City Hall in the main downtown overlooking the market area:

1A-Helsinki-CityHall.jpg

Helsinki’s main market is right on the water with lots of goods and foods for sale:

1A-Helsinki-Mark-Dwt.jpg

This is the Senate building in Helsinki overlooking the Square and its main statute:

1A-Helsinki-Sen-Front.jpg

Overlooking Helsinki's Senate Square, this is the Lutheran Church with its dome that is a key local landmark:

1A-Helsinki-Sen.jpg

Thanks Terry,

Great photos and info as always, I think we may head out to Helsinki first thing in the morning and see the main sights you mentioned and then head back to the ship for some R and R in the afternoon. The next port I am going to research is Oslo so I may see you over on the Oslo based threads. So far I have Vigeland Sculpture park on my list....

Cheerio!

Sarah

Thanks Terry, Great photos and info as always, I think we may head out to Helsinki first thing in the morning and see the main sights you mentioned and then head back to the ship for some R and R in the afternoon. The next port I am going to research is Oslo so I may see you over on the Oslo based threads. So far I have Vigeland Sculpture park on my list....

Cheerio! Sarah

THANKS for the thanks! Sounds like you have a great plan for the Finland capital. Depending on the day, weather, your interests, etc., you can spend more time there, if needed, in Helsinki, or head back to the ship to relax there.

Yes, Vigeland Sculpture park is super wonderful in Oslo. Both Oslo and Helsinki "suffer" from the situation that their royal and national histories have not been as long and great as what has benefited Copenhagen, Stockholm and St. Petersburg during the past 500 years. BUT, Oslo has a wonderful setting on the water and is a nice-size, clear city. It has some other ship museum/folk area options, plus the famed artist Munch with his "Scream", City Hall with its art that hosts the Nobel Peace Prize ceremonies, etc. Below are a couple visual samples from Oslo's great park. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Vigeland Park has a wide variety of outdoor sculptures in a wonderful setting:

1A-Oslo-VigelandPk.jpg

1A-Oslo-VigParkStat7.jpg

Sarah,

Helsinki is a wonderful city. We certainly enjoyed our day there. We saw the Rock Church, Lutheran Church and Senate Square and Upenski Church and market square. We rode the local tram and did a lot of walking. Very very nice day.

It's not Copenhagen, Stockholm or St. Petersburg. This Finland capital has not had the long, long history and glory of those three cities and their nation's power during the past 500 years.

Funny that i have seen several times on this board that Helsinki is considered a modern city. Actually Helsinki was founded in 1550, 57 years earlier than Jamestown and 153 years earlier than Petersburg but admittingly, the town was later moved closer to the sea (due to the post-glacial rebound) and nothing is left of the 16th century town anymore.

[/font][/size][/color]

Funny that i have seen several times on this board that Helsinki is considered a modern city. Actually Helsinki was founded in 1550, 57 years earlier than Jamestown and 153 years earlier than Petersburg but admittingly, the town was later moved closer to the sea (due to the post-glacial rebound) and nothing is left of the 16th century town anymore.

Helsinki has history, but my main point was about how for many of those years since 1550, it was, as a nation, under the control of Russia or Sweden. It didn't have the Royal families there in Helsinki building great palaces, libraries, government structures, etc. Most of the region was part of the Kingdom of Sweden from the 13th century to 1809, when it was ceded to the Russian Empire becoming the autonomous Grand Duchy of Finland. In 1917, Finland declared independence as Russia was dumping its Czar traditional set-up. I liked Helsinki, but it is different from Copenhagen which is the longest running Royal set-up in Europe. Finland never had colonies and/or an "empire" as certain of her neighbors experienced.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

I believe Helsinki is considered 'modern' as it really doesn't have an 'old town' flavor to it. For ther most part it is pretty modern in looks, no cobble stone streets etc. It truly is a lovely city and we are glad we did see it and what it has to offer.

A funny story while we were wandering about Helsinki. We had a map of the city, and we just could not figure out where we were. We were on a corner with a MacDonalds, and sure enough, right there on the map was a corner with a Mac on one side and a Burger King on the other, both, indicated on the map.

Local Landmarks I guess :D:D:D:D:D

Cheers

Len

• 4 weeks later...
thought maybe this thread might be of some use once again for new crusiers

Cheers Len

THANKS, Len! Great idea.

Here are two key suggestions. FIRST, scroll back through all of the earlier postings on this thread and others. You will see many wonderful items on Tallinn, Stockholm, Copenhagen, etc. SECOND, do a search on this board by each city and you will see lots of postings on various subjects connected with each port stop. Then, after taking the time to get that background, see other experiences, etc., you can post with specific questions in each port city. Be sure to have a title that is narrow to your question so that other can know what you are seeking. There are lots and lots of great people and information here on these boards. Don't be shy in asking follow-up questions. Folks are happy to share more when they know what you are seeking.

Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

THANKS, Len! Great idea.

Here are two key suggestions. FIRST, scroll back through all of the earlier postings on this thread and others. You will see many wonderful items on Tallinn, Stockholm, Copenhagen, etc. SECOND, do a search on this board by each city and you will see lots of postings on various subjects connected with each port stop. Then, after taking the time to get that background, see other experiences, etc., you can post with specific questions in each port city. Be sure to have a title that is narrow to your question so that other can know what you are seeking. There are lots and lots of great people and information here on these boards. Don't be shy in asking follow-up questions. Folks are happy to share more when they know what you are seeking.

Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Great advice, as usual, Terry.

Cheers

Len

Archived