Aerobed on RCCL

Hi all,

My wife and I are on RCCL Navigator in two weeks - whoo!:)

Anyway, neither of us generally sleep well on regular mattresses as we have slept on a waterbed for years. We always travel with a queen size aerobed as about 80% of the time we find hotel mattresses just aren't comfortable. Our cabin is set up as a queen. Can we bring the aerobed and just use it on top of the ships' mattress? Yeah, it does make the bed a little higher(6 - 7") but that isn't usually a problem. Will the room stewards be okay with this? And will I have to explain to security that my queen aerobed is NOT the world's largest rumrunner? :eek: :D

Thanks!

Hi all,

My wife and I are on RCCL Navigator in two weeks - whoo!:)

Anyway, neither of us generally sleep well on regular mattresses as we have slept on a waterbed for years. We always travel with a queen size aerobed as about 80% of the time we find hotel mattresses just aren't comfortable. Our cabin is set up as a queen. Can we bring the aerobed and just use it on top of the ships' mattress? Yeah, it does make the bed a little higher(6 - 7") but that isn't usually a problem. Will the room stewards be okay with this? And will I have to explain to security that my queen aerobed is NOT the world's largest rumrunner? :eek: :D

Thanks!

You can. However I you can also request one of those foam waffle/eggcrate shaped mattress topper from the cabin stewart. You would need to request it immediately after boarding as the ship doesn't have a lot of them. You could call the Special Needs Depart. to place the request now. As far as security... it's all up to security as to whether or not you'll be questioned.

ALl the bedding is the new, pillow-top mattresses....and since you're "floating" on the sea, it's already a "waterbed"!

If you're flying to port, it's going to add ALOT of weight to your luggage.

I think you'll find the new bedding very comfortable .

A moving ship...... an aerobed on top of usual mattress........ that's makes for a pretty high bed. I'd hate to think if one of you fell out of bed during rough seas. :eek:

ALl the bedding is the new, pillow-top mattresses....and since you're "floating" on the sea, it's already a "waterbed"!

If you're flying to port, it's going to add ALOT of weight to your luggage.

I think you'll find the new bedding very comfortable .

Thanks for the info on the bedding - I just hate leaving comfort to chance as I have three bad disks.

We're flying Southwest so no baggage fees for first two bags per person as long as each bag is < 50lbs.

If the beds are comfy we may just leave it in the suitcase.

A moving ship...... an aerobed on top of usual mattress........ that's makes for a pretty high bed. I'd hate to think if one of you fell out of bed during rough seas. :eek:

Thanks for the reply - and concern/warning.

Hmmm, yeah, that could be a problem - but if things got really bad at least we'd have our own life raft :D

That was what I was thinking??? Be sure to give the room steward an extra large tip for having to deal with the added bedding issues.

Absolutely. Our TA paid the pre-paid gratuities and I thought they were actually a bit under what I would have paid, so I figure I'll tip extra on top of that, and especially for "special service".

Weighs 11 lbs with the pump - takes up about a quarter of the volume a big suitcase if you fold/roll it really tight and vacuum out the air with the pump. We always bring a fitted bottom sheet for it as well. Not light, but the big suitcase it goes in has wheels. So it'll be that one big rolling suitcase, a rolling garment bag, and a carry-on each (both carry-ons have backpack straps and wheels).

We probably won't self disembark. Our flight doesn't leave FLL until 4, and my BIL is shuttling us, so we're in no big hurry. My only concern would be baggage security - do they match up claim checks or anything when colors are called?

No, it's pretty much a free-for-all when claiming your luggage at the end of the trip. You are issued no baggage check receipts, so there is nothing to check, and they don't check your ID vs any tag on the bag.

I found that post-cruise luggage retrieval makes it even more valuable to find some way to make your luggage stick out from the rest. There's a sea of bags, and so many of them are black! I am glad that my suitcases are bright blue (and I still have very distinctive tags on them that help me find them).

Hello,

My DH and I always travel with Our Nikken Travel pads. Its worth to us to pay the extra checked luggage fee for it. That being said they always get pulled and checked at the air port..Our room steward never has a problem with it. I always put them on the bed and then remake it. Never a problem

as far as sheets not a problem but then they are only about three Inches.

So if you have a pillow top sheet I think I would bring that and it should fit over both mattress.:)

Archived