luggage/packing?

ramrax4

We are thinking about booking a med/europe cruise and I was wandering how everyone is handling the cost of checked bag fees? Have you cut back on the the number of bags you take with you now or do you just bite the bullet and pay? Any tips or suggestions for keeping bags to a min.?

I figure with all we pay for the cruise, flights, on board account, etc, the extra for the bags is chicken feed. We pack what we need and pay what we have too.

I've thought that too, but we are looking at V Australia and it is $110 for an extra bag each way.:rolleyes: Makes me want to rethink packing the formal clothes.

In general If flying internationally from/to the US you are entitled to 2 checked bags at no cost. If you fly from LA to NY to Frankfurt this is considered an international flight, even with the plane change, and you can have two checked bags. You really have to check the airlines site for the weight allowed in each bag. If taking a flight within Europe, it gets somewhat confusing. Last Nov we flew LAX to Frankfurt and after 3 weeks flew Amsterdam to Munich, 3 hr layover, then to LAX. We could have 2 bags each. They did check the weight of each bag.

For us poor guys in economy, V Australia allows two bags but they can only have a combined total of 70 pounds, the way I read the site anyway. It seems in the past the airlines for international flights allowed two free bags that were allowed to weigh 50 pounds each. I was planning on doing some (well, probably a lot) of shopping while in Australia/New Zealand so that means something has to give. I vote for the husbands shoes since they weigh more than mine, I suppose he has a different opinion.

I can handle the extra baggage fees I suppose but what I can not handle is the heavy luggage. I take a 25 inch polycarbonate (hardside lightest weight with spinner wheels) and limit that to 40 pounds -- too hard on shoulder and arm if any heavier. I travel alot and there is almost NEVER a baggage handler and sometimes even in a cab you have to heave the bag into the trunk. I have a rolling tote bag with zipper for carryon. Any more than this and I find I regret it! Drop in on the cruise fashion board for the ultimate in packing threads.

I tend to overpack so am really struggling as to what to pack for our Med Cruise September 2010. We are planning some train travel after the cruise so do not want to lug around a lot of luggage. DH is being firm about one suitcase each. Not sure what I will do but am really excited about our first European cruise. Any suggestions will be appreciated!

Most of the larger ships have a laundromat, so you don't have to pack a different outfit for every day of your cruise. It really is OK to wear the same thing more than once! Pack light!! I know it is hard to know what to leave at home, but you'll be glad when you go to the train if you don't have to lug around 2 big suitcases. We often travel overseas for a month or more so I'm getting better at eliminating the non-essentials. I make a list of what I absolutely must take (camera, toiletries, underwear ;)) then the clothes I think I want to take. Go over the list every few days and think about what you really don't need and cross it off. If after you get there you buy more than what you can get into your luggage, buy an extra bag to pack when you come home. Have a great cruise!

I normally overpack and bring home clothes I never wore on the cruise. Last year, I chose carefully the clothes I wanted to take. We visited London for a week before our Scandinavian cruise last year. We each took a 28" suitcase. On a sea day, I did a wash at the self service laundromat. My DH did not bring his suit just wore a shirt with a tie and dress pants for formal night. We will be doing the same again this year.

I found rolling vs folding your clothes before packing saved some space not weight in the suitcases. Using large gallon size baggies for your clothes and squeezing out the air helps with space.

Most of the larger ships have a laundromat, so you don't have to pack a different outfit for every day of your cruise. It really is OK to wear the same thing more than once! Pack light!! I know it is hard to know what to leave at home, but you'll be glad when you go to the train if you don't have to lug around 2 big suitcases. We often travel overseas for a month or more so I'm getting better at eliminating the non-essentials. I make a list of what I absolutely must take (camera, toiletries, underwear ;)) then the clothes I think I want to take. Go over the list every few days and think about what you really don't need and cross it off. If after you get there you buy more than what you can get into your luggage, buy an extra bag to pack when you come home. Have a great cruise!

I am on a 3 week cruise to the Med in May when you add in pre/post cruise time. I liked the itinerary for the trip and in addition, the self-operated laundromat cinched the deal. To me, wearing the same thing more than once isn't a problem - I'll never see any of these people again! Two of our ports which happen to be pretty well spaced apart are ones we have no tours planned and will just get off the ship and walk -if we get back to the ship early enough there should be no problems with some washers/dryers being available.

All Princess ships have passenger laundromats, and the Purex sheets are great for travel - detergent and fabric softener sheet in one. Add a tiny tube of Tide to Go or a little stain stick and you are golden.

I tend to make a list that goes day by day and activity by activity. I write in the outfits I want, then consoldiate the clothing and start to add or subtract from the list. IF I have to subtract, I start looking at essentials, and a duplicate in case it is ruined beyond use. I take out frivolous or heavy articles, and replace with the lightest substitute I can. By heavy, I mean ones with sequins that add a lot of weight, just heavy in pounds, polar fleece for instance weighs very little......And shoes....I start cutting back and make due, knowing that one pair of black heels will be enough if luggage count and weight is a problem.

I really hate to be limited, but can do it if necessary. Don't like to, but if you plan on doing laundry, take pieces that can go from casual to elegant, and stick to one or two color palettes for the trip, it gets easier. Have a great cruise!

We are thinking about booking a med/europe cruise and I was wandering how everyone is handling the cost of checked bag fees? Have you cut back on the the number of bags you take with you now or do you just bite the bullet and pay? Any tips or suggestions for keeping bags to a min.?

Jun2009 DH & I did 15days on Solstice in East Med. plus extra time in Rome. We did 21"

carry-on for each of us. We had formal and casual clothes. Sent 1 laundry out. I have a packing.

Carole

We took the Ruby last summer in the Mediterranean. I did pack a lot, and as others have said, when you are already paying so much, a bit more to be sure you have what you want is nothing.

That said, this summer we are doing it again; and my husband has asked me to pack a bit lighter. I will try, but am not sure if I can. I need those choices in the morning! LOL We checked 4 bags last time. I'll see if I can get it down to 3.... good luck!

Archived