How much do you leave as an EXTRA Tip??

PeggyTC

We were just wondering how much you leave as an EXTRA tip. We like to leave our Room Steward, Waiter and Waiters help something extra but aren't sure if we are leaving a sufficient amount. This last cruise the service was excellent and we got to wondering if what we leave is enough. On another recent post people were talking about leaving things plus the money. We had some pop left i asked if they were allowed to take something like that from the room and he was more than happy that we were leaving them pop. Then the more we thought about it we realized when someone wanted gum when we were in a port it was $3.00 a pack!!!! For gum!!! Does anyone have an idea what a good amount is for these three positions for an EXTRA tip.

On both of our cruises we did the "normal" pre paid plus we gave our room steward $10 upfront & $10 on the last day. The waiter & assistant waiter we gave $10 each. Now lets not even talk about our fantastic bartender on Enchantment. We tipped him GOOD everyday!

Personally I believe that what they receive is sufficient simply because in most cases what ones person opinion of staff doing extra maybe completely different from anothers.....I don't think that any EXTRA CA$H provided to them will go without a smile in return.:D

If you feel compelled to provide them some extra cash... then by all means do so and at your discretion to what that amount should be, but I can almost assure you that many passengers do not give extra cash above the auto gratuities !

I am sure they will be thrilled with anything EXTRA....

with us, it varies depending on the level of service.

It has been as little as $10 for a Cabin Steward to $100 for a Club O2 Director.

We were just wondering how much you leave as an EXTRA tip. We like to leave our Room Steward, Waiter and Waiters help something extra but aren't sure if we are leaving a sufficient amount. This last cruise the service was excellent and we got to wondering if what we leave is enough. On another recent post people were talking about leaving things plus the money. We had some pop left i asked if they were allowed to take something like that from the room and he was more than happy that we were leaving them pop. Then the more we thought about it we realized when someone wanted gum when we were in a port it was $3.00 a pack!!!! For gum!!! Does anyone have an idea what a good amount is for these three positions for an EXTRA tip.

$20 for Steward, $10 for Steward's Assistannt if there was one visible, $20 for Waiter, $10 for Asst Waiter, $5 for Drinks Waiter at MDR Table. ken

Absolutely no set amount. If they meet my expectations then nothing more than manditory tip, never have removed it even if I received bad service. If anyone goes above and beyond then yes and decide as I go.

I have always tipped extra, but how much depends on the level of service. I usually give more the the room steward because I'm a solo cruiser and they are used to usually getting tips from at least 2 in a cabin. They work so hard I am happy to tip extra.

Terri

Steward, $5 extra for keeping cooler filled with ice, $5 extra for getting us extra table and chair for balcony and $20 for just being good. Hostess in dining room $10 for always getting us a table for 2 without a wait after first 2 days and $20 to someone else who treated us very well to get a few drinks on a day off. Other than that, standard suggested tips. Oh and room service $2 per delivery.

Since you haven't experienced their service, how do you know they deserve "extra"? Wait until you've actually cruised with them, then decide what their service is worth.

We generally give about $40 or so more for really good service...but that hasn't happened everytime....

Since you haven't experienced their service, how do you know they deserve "extra"? Wait until you've actually cruised with them, then decide what their service is worth.

We generally give about $40 or so more for really good service...but that hasn't happened everytime....

I do not bribe Carnival employes up front. Extra tip is for extra service received not anticipated.

Just wondering: what do you get EXTRA for giving the tip up front???We have always had excellent service.Example: ice twice a day, towels replaced even when left on rack,Don't understand tipping on first day...please explain...:rolleyes:

In addition to the standard tips:

$40 to the Room Stewart, $20 the Asst Rm Stewart on 1st day, followed by $20 & $10 more on the last day.

(You would be amazed at what an act of good faith on day 1 will get you :) )

...and you dont need to be diamond club members.

For the Wait Staff...on day one after dinning, $40/$40 to the Waiter/Asst Waiter.

(The ol' handshake with two twenties always brings a smile...and outstanding service at a table for two).

Again in addition to the standard tips.

I have no idea what to tip and here is my point for answering this thread.

I think a lot of people, especially those who live in bigger cities, take for granted that most people know proper tipping etiquette. I know tipping depends on the individual and the service, but there has to be some kind of avg. and I think that's what people are looking for when they ask these kinds of questions.

I come from a small rural town and besides eating out we don't have much tipping going on. I had never heard of tipping the maids for hotels. I just always thought that was part of the cost of the hotel. I've learned that it is more common to tip them now (from this board actually).

I'd like to thank the people of this thread for answering the question and not getting all over the OP. I don't know what his situation is, but I know these threads give me a better idea ("standard") for tipping, so that I don't feel bad for not tipping enough or bleed my funds dry from tipping too much.

Sometimes people just don't know and what to learn........others just want to start stuff.:D

I don't tip anything extra, with the exception of once when my husband bought some type of figure, wooden, it fell and the tip was broken off. We couldn't locate it anywhere. Well, our room steward noted that it was broken, he searched and found the tip, glued it back on and when we came back from dinner it was like new. Now THAT type of service deserved an extra tip, otherwise I can't recall giving one.

Just wondering: what do you get EXTRA for giving the tip up front???We have always had excellent service.Example: ice twice a day, towels replaced even when left on rack,Don't understand tipping on first day...please explain...:rolleyes:

Agree, I don't get it either. I have never received anything but outstanding service with not one bribe up front. I think people that do that are fooling themselves.

"How much do you leave as an EXTRA Tip??"

What ever is appropriate to the level of extra service recieved.

let me translate : I don't believe in tipping .

traveler , did I get it right ?

Sometimes if a certain bar on board has a beer or drink I like (example, Murphy's on tap on Mariner of the Seas), I'll go the first afternoon for a beer and lay a $20 on the bartender. I'll go back several times for that drink and often half of them are free. If my scheme has panned out, I'll lay another $20 on the bartender on the last evening.

And I'll lay a $20 on the steward the first day and have him remove all items from the fridge and let him know that I REALLY like ice at all hours of the day. If this all works out, I'll tip an extra $10-20 on the last evening.

I have to agree! Carnival seems to think it knows best when it comes to how much you should be tipping, so feel no shame in leaving the auto-tips as-is!

If you feel $10 per person, per day is not enough, you should figure out what you feel is fair based on the service you receive on the cruise - not what people here think SHOULD be added:rolleyes:

Personally I believe that what they receive is sufficient simply because in most cases what ones person opinion of staff doing extra maybe completely different from anothers.....I don't think that any EXTRA CA$H provided to them will go without a smile in return.:D

If you feel compelled to provide them some extra cash... then by all means do so and at your discretion to what that amount should be, but I can almost assure you that many passengers do not give extra cash above the auto gratuities !

WHAT?!!?!:mad: ARE YOU FOR REAL?!

How does "tip the extra amound based on the extra service rec'd" equate to him/her not beliving in tipping?!

Perhaps this was an inside joke - if not, it is a joke to me!:rolleyes:

let me translate : I don't believe in tipping .

traveler , did I get it right ?

Man some folks sure get touchy about tipping. I generally give 20-25 extra to the steward and waiter. The asst. waiter usually gets 15 extra. This is for my wife and me on a 7 day cruise. I give the guy who cooks my eggs at the buffet a buck or two.

Archived