Chair hogs

Janespup

with going out at 9 am and putting a towel on a chair and then returning within 15 minutes. I have been hosed before and it is bad when you pay and cant get chair. And, dont even give me this "early bird gets the worm" crap. You should not have to sit in a chair at 9 am in order to keep it.

If you reserve a chair, go to your room and get ready quickly. you should be able to come back and have a chair. And another thing..It is worse when you are single. What happens if you gotta go to the bathroom, or wanna get food. The dude next to you isnt going to save it for you. You come back and your stuff is gone and there is a fat guy laughing at you.

If you are really going to get ready quickly:rolleyes:

then get ready before you get your chair..

except that you won't really be that quick...will ya?

I think we understand what you are saying.

G'ma would NEVER move a towel.

Seriously now!!

G'ma gets a Balcony so she does not have to deal with the

likes of deck people or chair hogs!!

That's just nuts! Pay all that money for a nice cabin and sleep on the pool chairs! No hanky panky gonna-be-happening-there.

Thats not by the pool :eek: thats the jogging track.

If you look at the pictures I posted there wasn't a chair to be found:(.

The pool was tied up at five am, thats when I went to the room and got my camera.

This time was around seven am .

The part that gets me is the CHAIR HOG acts like the person who removed the items is the one who is to blame..Same goes for SAVING seats in the theatre...:rolleyes:

We don't like the sun at all so all the "desirable" chairs out in the sun for sunbathers are not something we even want. It does make for some interesting "watching" though from our spot in the shade. One cruise we were on, I sat in a corner in the shade to read my book. It was 7am and every chair had a towel on it, hat, etc. I read for two hours and only 1 person who was actually in the hot tub, took a seat in one of the chairs.

Then came the "chair hog man" who looked at the chairs and stood around for several minutes. He reach down and touched those dark blue towels and they were obviously hot and no one had been on them in hours. Not only did he clear all the chairs (neatly placing the piles up on a counter) He then proceeded to move all the chairs around in a different configuration completely different from how they were originally. He took a seat in one. About 45 minutes later the chair hogs returned. By this time there were several other people who sat down in vacant chairs. Because the scene looked nothing like it did originally, and not one chair was anywhere close to where it originally was, they were at a lose as to even say who was sitting in which chair.

My advise, clear the chair and move it to a different place...not only is the chair hogs stuff no longer there , the chair isn't either.:D

Thats not by the pool :eek: thats the jogging track.

If you look at the pictures I posted there wasn't a chair to be found:(.

The pool was tied up at five am, thats when I went to the room and got my camera.

This time was around seven am .

Gee-Whiz, What????? Excuse me for the mistake. We are newbies and have never been on the ship to denote exactly where the chair was. Jogging track/pool, the point was that it would be crazy to pay the money for a nice cabin and be so set on getting a pool/deck chair that one would actually sleep on one. That was all I was trying to say.

All I want to really know,,are there ever any chairs that are in the shade and not loaded with a thousand towels since I am not a sun or pool person, or am I stuck inside in a bar somewhere or my cabin if I want to just relax and read.

ETA: I wonder how much a couple that have paid for a suite but spend their entire cruise in a chair to make sure they have one would like to trade cabins with me,,I'll use thier balcony.

All I want to really know,,are there ever any chairs that are in the shade and not loaded with a thousand towels since I am not a sun or pool person, or am I stuck inside in a bar somewhere or my cabin if I want to just relax and read.

ETA: I wonder how much a couple that have paid for a suite but spend their entire cruise in a chair to make sure they have one would like to trade cabins with me,,I'll use thier balcony.

We have never had a problem finding a chair in the sun or the shade........

We don't like the sun at all so all the "desirable" chairs out in the sun for sunbathers are not something we even want. It does make for some interesting "watching" though from our spot in the shade. One cruise we were on, I sat in a corner in the shade to read my book. It was 7am and every chair had a towel on it, hat, etc. I read for two hours and only 1 person who was actually in the hot tub, took a seat in one of the chairs.

Then came the "chair hog man" who looked at the chairs and stood around for several minutes. He reach down and touched those dark blue towels and they were obviously hot and no one had been on them in hours. Not only did he clear all the chairs (neatly placing the piles up on a counter) He then proceeded to move all the chairs around in a different configuration completely different from how they were originally. He took a seat in one. About 45 minutes later the chair hogs returned. By this time there were several other people who sat down in vacant chairs. Because the scene looked nothing like it did originally, and not one chair was anywhere close to where it originally was, they were at a lose as to even say who was sitting in which chair.

My advise, clear the chair and move it to a different place...not only is the chair hogs stuff no longer there , the chair isn't either.:D

Yes!

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

P.S. Yes, even the chair hogs.

Gee-Whiz, What????? Excuse me for the mistake. We are newbies and have never been on the ship to denote exactly where the chair was. Jogging track/pool, the point was that it would be crazy to pay the money for a nice cabin and be so set on getting a pool/deck chair that one would actually sleep on one. That was all I was trying to say.

There's nothing to excuse :D . I just cut up a bit on here about the chair hogs . I can always find something to do on a ship other than to worry about a chair hog. But you would be surprised at the people who will sleep out there on those nice warm summer nights .

I guess it's better than being cooped up on an inside cabin .icon14.gif

Welcome to CC where there are plenty of grand cruisers who will be more than happy to help you with any question you may have .

As for your being a newbie who has never been on a ship , get excited,very excited. :D

There's nothing to excuse :D . I just cut up a bit on here about the chair hogs . I can always find something to do on a ship other than to worry about a chair hog. But you would be surprised at the people who will sleep out there on those nice warm summer nights .

Welcome to CC where there are plenty of grand cruisers who will be more than happy to help you with any question you may have .

As for your being a newbie who has never been on a ship , get excited,very excited. :D

Thanks, I just can't get over some of this bizare stuff people will do .:)

The more I read these boards, the more I wonder if I will actually have a good time on my upcoming cruise on Carnival or if I'll just regret not spending my money with DCL again!

I enjoy sunbathing and reading a good book and being able to watch my kids swim and frolick in the pool for hours. If I can't sit and watch..well....that is kind of boring!

I'm wondering after reading this thread if I should go to the local Walmart or Kmart before boarding and buy my hubby and myself a few cheap foldable lounge chairs for the deck....what do ya think? We could fold them up and bring them back to our room when we are done.,..thus guarantying our chairs?? And then perhaps sell them to someone getting on to the ship after our cruise? hmmmm....It bears consideration. I'll have to see if Carnival has folding lounge chairs on their forbidden item list..lol ... but seriously! ;P

"The more I read these boards, the more I wonder if I will actually have a good time on my upcoming cruise on Carnival "

Just finished my first cruise, Dream. 2/20-2/27.

I too, was a tad concerned after reading these boards. I was not going to get in fights with chair hogs. My attitude was I'm here to have a good time and I assume everyone else is here to have a good time as well. Never had a problem with chair hogs because we were really too busy to be laying around in chairs. Brought a book - too busy to open it. Brought a deck of cards - too busy to play. Brought 3 5ths - took 2 home, too busy to drink. And I forgot to take photos of life aboard ship (darn - have to go on another cruise now).

And the most really unexpected, pleasant surprise! The people. It seemed like there was an unspoken bond between everyone that we were all there to have a great time, so let's all have a great time. We had a great time. It didn't really sink in until 3 days after the cruise back in the real world amongst grumpy people how pleasant everybody on the cruise were. Thanks to everyone.

I just read a post that said that the serenity decks are first targets for chair hogs. They put their stuff on them and disappear for the morning! Carnival still doesn't do anything about chair hogs?? Please tell me they do enforce a policy of some kind!

The only place I found any empty chairs was in the serenity area. Once I was next to the pool and the other times I was only a few rows away. The same wasn't true of the other pool areas. There wasn't a chair to be had! They all had a towel or a book or shoes sitting on them. I went out to the serenity deck and had my pick of 4 or 5 seats. It seems like it worked out there the way it should work... use a chair for as long as you want but when you're done take all your stuff so someone else can enjoy the sun... that way there will always be chairs available.

• 2 weeks later...
In my opinion 'towels' are not enough to 'save' a lounger. If I saw a lounger with just a towel, I would take the chair. Now, if there were other items, I would wait for a while, as per the rules, then that would be a different story.

We were on the Valor on the Feb 28 sailing. I've seen my share of chair hogs in my 7 cruises but this was the worst by far. Next year on the Liberty I will not be denied a chair like this year. If I want a chair, I'm getting one. I'm also getting a souvenir towel at the hog's expense and anything else I see that I want, I'm taking it. Sunglasses, books, I don't care. If I want it, I'm taking it.

We were just on the dream a couple of weeks ago. While we did notice some "chair hogging" at the pool area, it was in the theater that it was awful. People went in into the rear of the theater before the previous show was over, then when everyone began leaving they would push and shove to the front and reserve entire rows, then stand there looking around and waving and shouting to their friends as they entered. However, Carnival didn't plan well for the theater. It seats about 1500 people, 2 shows nightly. Our cruise had nearly 4000 passengers on it. You do the math!! All said, we had a great cruise and loved the Dream.

Sort of like this..................

chair_hogs.jpg

This was on the Fantasy last January. After about an hour, the attendant removed all of the towels. One person "reserved" all of these seats. She ran out of towels and resorted to draping one over two to save the last four in the row. I was there for several hours and never did see her come back!

I was faced with a very similar situation last summer. After waiting for 1 hour, yes an entire timed hour, I gather up the 5 towels that was saving 10 chairs, I neatly folded them and proceeded to the elevator where I took them down and placed them on a room stewards cart.

At $ 20.00 per towel, maybe it would make people think twice about leaving property they are responsible for unattended ~~!!~~

Can anyone guess who the people are on this thread who approve of people hogging chairs? I've noticed at least one.

As I've said before, I try to snag a chair in the less desirable areas, then walk two or three decks to the pool, swim for a little while, then make my way back to the less desirable areas.

If your behind isn't in the chair, then it isn't your chair. We've all paid to be on the cruise, and if you need to eat, then eat and come back and get in line for the the next chair to open up.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

That used to be my philosophy until the Valor cruise I was on 3 weeks ago. I couldn't even get a chair in the undesirable area. If it was in the sun, it was held.

:eek:

We were on the Valor on the Feb 28 sailing. I've seen my share of chair hogs in my 7 cruises but this was the worst by far. Next year on the Liberty I will not be denied a chair like this year. If I want a chair, I'm getting one. I'm also getting a souvenir towel at the hog's expense and anything else I see that I want, I'm taking it. Sunglasses, books, I don't care. If I want it, I'm taking it.

That used to be my philosophy until the Valor cruise I was on 3 weeks ago. I couldn't even get a chair in the undesirable area. If it was in the sun, it was held.

You don't need my permission, but if no Body is in the chair then it is an empty chair and you're welcome to it. Don't be denied, and never let the chair hogs win!

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

ok, that right there is an excellent idea. That's my new methodology for next year. You get the chair and avoid confrontation.

thank you

ok, that right there is an excellent idea. That's my new methodology for next year. You get the chair and avoid confrontation.

thank you

The person sitting in the shade LMAO will be me, as this is actually quite entertaining to watch.:D A reality show on board the cruise ship and I have a front row seat in an undesirable chair in the shade. Maybe an entertaining chair hog video posted to YouTube.:eek: We cruise in a few weeks on the Dream....now what should I entitle my reality video.....hhmmmm:rolleyes:

OR, If you are doing a B2B and only paid for the first week, it becomes a necessity ~~!!~~

Archived