Life boat drill question-recent cruiser

sweet sheep

5. Design a simpler life jacket. This isn't rocket science. It can be done.

I am an engineer. I don't blame users for bad products.

igraf

Sometimes, you have to be smarter than your life jacket!

How to properly put on a life jacket usng available options?

1. Watch channel 26 of your in-cabin TV for a show and tell

2. Open "From the Captain" booklet to Page 10

2A Follow illustrated step by step instructions

3. Follow directions on inside of cabin door

4. Follow "show and tell" by lifeboat assistants

Still don't know?

Life Jacket - 1

Passenger - O

Bad Lifejacket! Back in the closet!:cool:

I am also a "vertically challenged" individual, and unable to see the descending steps in front of me while wearing the life jacket. I grip that staircase handrail on the way down like it was my ex's neck, but I still stumble.

I like the idea of handing out life jackets at the muster station... but I'll be the one spraying it with lysol before putting it on, just like I do with the one in the cabin. (I'm sure the folks before us were lovely people, but they probably sweated in it a bit while standing in the sun, and maybe even threw in a sneeze or two...)

igraf

It has already been done and they have them on the Eurodam.

They should replace them, fleet-wide.

igraf

Well, I see an opportunity!:) Time to go to work, Mr. Engineer!

I like the idea of handing out life jackets at the muster station......

The issue with that suggestion is that once you hand them out on deck, they have to be handed back in. All of that is going to add to the duration of the drill. Fine folks are complaining already that this, for some a social event, takes too much time:cool: Others will no doubt say, after the drill concludes, just dump 'em on deck and let the crew figure out how to store them again. Their problem, not mine...........

The important thing to me is that I know how to put on the lifejacket and I know where my lifeboat is located. You can't force people to learn something they don't want to learn. At least I know I'll be at my lifeboat station in the event of an emergency. Is that selfish?? Maybe, but I'll be prepared. :)

I'm disappointed that we are no longer required to wear the life jackets to the drill and that they're no longer taking the roll call. I hate it, too, but it's absolutely necessary and should not be approached casually. It's a big ocean out there and stuff happens. Just learning how to get to your station isn't enough.

So as Copper suggests, it's wise for everyone to acquaint themselves with how to put on the life jacket just in case. Just because they don't require us to do this doesn't take away our responsibility for our own well being.

I agree with both you and Copper. This will be the first cruise for my husband and me and to insure that we will have subsequent cruises, we definitely intend to learn how to correctly put on our life jackets. My husband always says you have to be smarter than the problem and I say better safe than sorry. Why not take the time to insure your safety in the event of an emergency? Could you imagine the chaos that would be going on around you if the ship were in some kind of danger? Do you really think the crew would have the time to stop and help you with your life vest especially if there is only a short time to get everyone into the life boats, just say? Let's take some responsibility for our OWN selves.

There are lots of life preservers that have "better design," but while they are more comfortable, etc., they do not offer the long term flotation and safety that the type IV life preservers do. If you fall off a sail boat or small pleasure craft, and they will be back for you in a matter of minutes, then you don't need much in terms of long-term flotation. All charter vessels have to have Type IV flotation devices for every passenger -- at least under U.S. supervision.

As for the drill's being the "worst part of the cruise, " it may be technically correct inasmuch as the rest of the time is fun and games. On the other hand, everything we do is neither good nor bad, it is how we interpret it. The safety drill is extremely important in the very unlikely event of an emergency. When the Sea Diamond hit a reef and ultimately sank within virtual swimming distance of shore, two passengers still died.

Remember that the Andrea Doria and Stockholm managed to collide even though they had each other on radar and were talking to each other by radio the whole time. Things happen. If you had been on the Andrea Doria, time to stop and read directions, powder your nose and stop in the bar for a drink just weren't options. Sure people panic, but those who do not can help calm the situation down and make sure more people make it to safety. And if the fertilizer really hits the ventilator, many of the crew members you are counting on to help you with your life jacket because you did not bother to learn, will in fact be busy getting the lifeboats, swung out, loaded and lowered.

The safety drill is just another part of the cruise, and in some respects the first real sign that you are on a ship and not a hotel, and about to leave for your trip. Maybe it is just me, but it is neither good nor bad -- it just is! It's the "worst" thing because you make it so.

Excellent post, bbwex!

Unfortunately, many pax take the drill as a social event and, to be honest, the cruise lines have not helped by allowing their ship's photographers and videographer to partake and make an extra buck or 1000 for the company.

Putting the current "non-Eurodam" vests on correctly is not rocket science. If you've never done it before, take an extra five minutes and do take a look at your TV channel, and/or the illustrations in the booklet or on the inside of your cabin door. If all fails, ask one of the two life boat assistants when you get to the drill location on-time! Despite P/A announcements by the CD starting 30 min. (followed by 15 min) before the event takes place, a multitude of folks show up late, apparently having more important things to do.

Look, if you want to wait to put your vets on (or take if off after the drill) until you get on deck because the stairs are a challenge for ya, by all means do so, but just ensure that your straps aren't dragging behind you.

If everyone does their thing, the drill takes 20-25 min tops and your cruise can begin

Anyone who feels they need assistance in learning how to put on the vest are very welcome to approach their life boat commander and his assistants at the drill and ask for a second demonstration if they feel the need.

There is a demonstration conducted at every life boat station but if you feel you have a question, ASK for it. There are always various officers passing all along promenade checking each group. Stop one of them if you wish. Ask the Life boat Commander. No reason to not be absolutely sure you know how to put on the vest.

Chief Officer is in charge of Life Boat Drill and he will never refuse anyone's request for additional instruction.

Personally, I've always thought that it was important to do two things in a life boat drill:

1. Actually GO TO THE LIFEBOAT where one will be disembarking the ship in the event of an "Abandon Ship!" emergency.

2. Actually put on that dreaded life jacket.

I wholeheartedly agree. I always do my own personal life boat drill.

I look at the map in my cabin. I find my way to my station before the drill.

When I go to the drill, that is my second trip already.

I put on my life jacket in my cabin for practice. Make sure it is there.

All parts are working. The straps are adjusted, etc.

I am responsible for me.

I will not re-enact the Titanic.

There are lots of life preservers that have "better design," but while they are more comfortable, etc., they do not offer the long term flotation and safety that the type IV life preservers do. If you fall off a sail boat or small pleasure craft, and they will be back for you in a matter of minutes, then you don't need much in terms of long-term flotation. All charter vessels have to have Type IV flotation devices for every passenger -- at least under U.S. supervision.

As for the drill's being the "worst part of the cruise, " it may be technically correct inasmuch as the rest of the time is fun and games. On the other hand, everything we do is neither good nor bad, it is how we interpret it. The safety drill is extremely important in the very unlikely event of an emergency. When the Sea Diamond hit a reef and ultimately sank within virtual swimming distance of shore, two passengers still died.

Remember that the Andrea Doria and Stockholm managed to collide even though they had each other on radar and were talking to each other by radio the whole time. Things happen. If you had been on the Andrea Doria, time to stop and read directions, powder your nose and stop in the bar for a drink just weren't options. Sure people panic, but those who do not can help calm the situation down and make sure more people make it to safety. And if the fertilizer really hits the ventilator, many of the crew members you are counting on to help you with your life jacket because you did not bother to learn, will in fact be busy getting the lifeboats, swung out, loaded and lowered.

The safety drill is just another part of the cruise, and in some respects the first real sign that you are on a ship and not a hotel, and about to leave for your trip. Maybe it is just me, but it is neither good nor bad -- it just is! It's the "worst" thing because you make it so.

Bravo!! Very well put.

On Princess they don't take roll call as they have equipment which can tell if someone is in their cabin when supposed to be at a muster drill. Maybe HAL has the same? I believe it is heat sensor (if I recall from the Ultimate Ships tour).
On Princess, the cabin stewards check each and every cabin to make sure the life jackets have been taken and no one is in the cabin while other crew comb every public area to make sure people are not "hiding." Essentially, they sweep the ship.

I am really quite mixed over the issue.

Personally, I've always thought that it was important to do two things in a life boat drill:

1. Actually GO TO THE LIFEBOAT where one will be disembarking the ship in the event of an "Abandon Ship!" emergency.

The problem I have with this is how do you know "your" lifeboat is going to be safe in the event of an Abandon Ship? It could be directly under a fire, be on the high side of a severely listing ship, etc. In an emergency, people don't know whether they're coming or going much less exactly where "their" lifeboat is.

We had a case of a smoke alarm and smoke in our cabin on the Noordam early one morning, and crew were going down the hall banging on doors to make sure everyone was getting up and getting out. The one that banged on our door said we didn't need to wear or bring the life jackets, but when we got to the stair landing a different crew person told us to go back and get them! So much for practice. :eek: (It turned out to be just an overheated HVAC bearing, and in 45 min or so we were back in the room, airing it out.)
On our Prinsendam cruise in the fall of '08, we had a fire just before 2am. Some people ran into the hallway, some ran to their lifeboats while still in their jammies, etc. It was chaos with few knowing what to actually do, even though most of us had attended TWO muster drills on our cruise. The Captain didn't come on the PA for at least 2-3 minutes after the alarm sounded. By that time, people were already running around. It turned out to be the cooler's (in the buffet) transformer had blown. Ten minutes later, we were told it was all over. My point is that even with multiple drills on the same cruise (they insisted that two were required "by law"), many very intelligent people didn't know what to do or where to go.

One of my biggest pet peeves with having muster on deck is that if it's hot, humid or raining (or a combination of both), standing outside with the life jacket on is pure torture. I've seen people faint, older people have to be led back inside, etc. I'm glad to hear they've done away with that.

We just got off the Disney Wonder and they have the easy to clip on life jackets, they're a no brainer. With that type jacket it wouldn't be required to practice putting it on since it's so simple, but when I was on the HAL ship it took me a little time to figure out how to get it on correctly.

Being an "old Salt" I have carried my "Flight Deck" vest with me on may cruises and have found the old life jackets to be a pain. A Flight Deck vest inflates from a CO2 cartridge and automatically inflates when you hit the water. Except for the expense of the CO2 cartridge they are a far better option.

If the new clip on's are like the new Coast Guard ones then I think you should not have to wear one to the muster drill. Although I can see someone publishing a "Life Jackets for Dumbies" book.;)

Last year our drill on Princess was held in the theatre and we did not take our life jackets. It sounds like the industry is deciding that the drills at your muster station are no longer necessary.

I have seen many passengers dragging their life jackets, sitting on them, tripping on them, spilling drinks on them, etc. I can't imagine how many have been worn out without ever actually having been used to save a life!:(

I personally have confidence that I have been attentive enough that I would have no problem putting one on quickly and correctly if required, but I know many others who - no matter how many drills they went to, would never figure it out on their own in a real emergency.

My personal safety is of utmost importance to me, but others seem to take it for granted. As long as I continue to get on a ship, I will stay informed on where I need to be and how to properly wear my life jacket.

As seems to be the normal nowadays, I guess if we do get into a real emergency situation, those of us who have prepared will be the ones who will be reaching out to those around us who are lost and confused and assisting them to make sure they, too, are taken care of.

I just hope that I never have to find out in real time what it would really be like. :o

The Beatles - I like it!:)

Never mind, that was "Twist and Shout"

John,

Perhaps you are too young ( ;) ) to remember that The Beatles were just covering the original by The Top Notes or more probably covering the cover by The Isley Brothers.

r.

This is correct. I was on Carnival Destiny in January 2010, and Royal Caribbeans Adventure of the Seas in August 2009 and both of them told us not to bring them. It made the drill much more tolerable.

One of my biggest pet peeves with having muster on deck is that if it's hot, humid or raining (or a combination of both), standing outside with the life jacket on is pure torture. I've seen people faint, older people have to be led back inside, etc. I'm glad to hear they've done away with that.

Good post Pam in CA. All of it, not just the part quoted. I agree with you about attending the drill on deck when it is hot and humid. In that situation I spend most of my time having this silent conversation with myself about how miserable I am, oh no! is that person ok, why does that person keep bumping me!... that I really don't give the drill the adequate attention I should. The indoor drill on Princess is much more civil and I find that I actually listen and think about what I am going to do if there is an emergency.

I am certainly no corporate cheerleader but in this case I think HAL knows what they are doing and would not make a change in this process if it resulted in passengers being less safe.

John,

Perhaps you are too young ( ;) ) to remember that The Beatles were just covering the original by The Top Notes or more probably covering the cover by The Isley Brothers.

r.

Thanks for that tidbit!;)

Archived