Noro on Emerald March 3, 2010

Elaine237

We just disembarked from this cruise also and I totally agree. Couldn't understand how the Sea Princess provided regular wet hand towels and all the other cruise lines had some sort of disinfectant wipes for people to use prior to boarding.

Do you know for a certainty that the towels you were being given did not contain some sort of disinfectant? I was also led to believe that the most effective method of containing any outbreak is to wash your hands and not rely on hand sanitizers. Maybe using a wet towel, especially if there is something in the wetting agent, is just as effective as a hand sanitizer.

That's the point....we were never given any hand sanitizer, wet towel or wipes....nothing!!!! Being that Sea Princess is the same line as Emerald you would think they'd follow the same guidelines. When we were in Europe on our 14 day cruise aboard Sea Princess they also handed out wet towels prior to reboarding just like they did in St. Maarten this time and we didn't have any problems at the time with Noro. It makes sense to have passengers use wet wipes prior to reboarding. We bring our own and then wash our hands once on board. Even the internet area has the wet wipes available for after using the computers.

Colo Cruiser:

Never said that the Emerald was the only "sick ship" to visit GT. Was just repeating what the tour guide was told about our ship Emerald through his company. We thought it was funny how word travels so fast just like the game "telephone". What's originally said ends up being something completely different after passed down to a few people.

We've been on many cruises both on Princess and other cruise lines and some of the things they do still don't make sense. For example: We were suppose to have a 2 for $20.00 t-shirt sale but of course due to the code red it was canceled along with the other shop sales involving tables outside of the shops. I understand that they don't want people touching all the shirts but why then did they have the table with the "chain by the inch" everyone was touching that, plus they had sales on clothing hanging on racks right by the door to the shop which everyone was touching, plus people were touching all the items in the shops etc...... so why just cancel a few things. What's the difference between touching t-shirts on a table or jewelry by the inch? Both spread germs.

Hand sanitizers are found not be that effective against NORO anyway. Washing hands well is the best.

And of course we should rely on all 3000 passengers to wash their hands after using the facilities :rolleyes:

On at least two other cruise lines I have been on, we were not allowed to even get a plate at the buffet unless we sanitized. Princess was less than vigilant in this area until the outbreak. Empty or mal-functioning sanitizers were the norm.

SF...were also told by some people we met at Margaritaville in GT that they had been warned about the "plague" ship. Obviously the Carnival Glory crew was spreading the word that they should be careful.

And of course we should rely on all 3000 passengers to wash their hands after using the facilities :rolleyes:

On at least two other cruise lines I have been on, we were not allowed to even get a plate at the buffet unless we sanitized. Princess was less than vigilant in this area until the outbreak. Empty or mal-functioning sanitizers were the norm.

SF...were also told by some people we met at Margaritaville in GT that they had been warned about the "plague" ship. Obviously the Carnival Glory crew was spreading the word that they should be careful.

And you are going to rely on them to use sanitizer when they enter the buffet or dining rooms. :rolleyes:

They are all plague ships. Don't you think the story is the same with any arriving cruise ship with NORO. :cool:

And you are going to rely on them to use sanitizer when they enter the buffet or dining rooms. :rolleyes:

They are all plague ships. Don't you think the story is the same with any arriving cruise ship with NORO. :cool:

As I said, other cruise lines will not even let you have a plate unless they see you sanitize. Same held true for entering the dining room....and it was strictly enforced. No plate unless you sanitize....Princess did not start enforcing either until the outbreak.

I agree that they are all plague ships but even my kids asked me many times before the outbreak (day 4 of the cruise) why nobody sprayed us getting on, why the sanitizers were empty or not working at all. I really believe that Princess dropped the ball on this and that the crew paid the price more than anyone. I felt really bad for them have to put the extra time in serving us all.

>>>What's the difference between touching t-shirts on a table or jewelry by the inch? Both spread germs. <<<

They make more money on the jewelry by the inch.

You're right it's all about the money......:rolleyes: Silly of me to forget that!!! Then why no tables with jewelry, watches, etc... they clean up on those! The same ring I got at home for $10.00 was close to $29 on one of our cruises.

Hand sanitizers are found not be that effective against NORO anyway. Washing hands well is the best.

Exactly. Bleach works best, but it's too aggressive to use on skin. Washing hands is much more effective. Frankly, the sanitizers do some but you need to get it all....

As I said, other cruise lines will not even let you have a plate unless they see you sanitize. Same held true for entering the dining room....and it was strictly enforced. No plate unless you sanitize.....

a) As mentioned earlier, the sanitizers are not effective against a virus.

b) Washing hands often and long enough is the best prevention tool.

c) When sanitizers are used a lot, people tend to think that is a good substitute for hand washing and wash hands less.

d) Less hand washing can mean more of a virus breakout on a ship

Archived