Boarding Time

We're sailing out of Tampa on the Granduer in a couple of weeks. Our paperwork says not to show up until 2:00pm. That's only 3 hours before we leave...why was I thinking we should get their around noon? A little advice please :D

We just sailed on the Grandeur this past December. We were at the port by 10:30,parked our car across the street from the port, and were on board by 11:15. Very easy port to get around, with fast and efficient people working there.

The wife and I exited our cab ( Port of Miami) at 11:05AM. We were on deck, with drink in hand, at 11:20AM. For fun, we went to our room around 2PM and looked down below, into the terminal, and the lines were outrageous. Definitely, don't wait until 2PM. Get there very early, or get there late (but not too late). Have fun !!!

As the other responders said, you can board earlier than 2 pm. However, your room will not be ready that early. Typically, it is about 1 pm. So, be prepared to tote around your carry-on luggage until your room is ready.

I always go at about 11 am for 5pm departure. Minimal crowds, and i normally get on ship by noon. what a pleasure beating most of the crowds and backups at security gates. If you wait till time they tell you, you will wait in long lines and be very stressed.

I don't know WHY they tell everyone to arrive at 2.....I mean, you're PAYING for day one, and guess what....boarding day IS day 1, so if you get there late, you've paid for a full day, but only get 1/2 of it!

Get there before noon!

If you wait till time they tell you, you will wait in long lines and be very stressed.
Have you ever waited ?? Probably not !! :D

We like to wait until 1:00 - 2:00 .....always works great for us!!! We ask our hotel for a late check out....hit the hotel pool ...start drinking :D :D .....have a little lunch, then head to the ship. We are poolside before you know it.

Stress is setting an alarm clock ...... getting there wondering whether the previous cruise has cleared customs.... and the delightful joy of hauling my carry-ons to the Windjammer ! :rolleyes:

I mean, you're PAYING for day one, and guess what....boarding day IS day 1, so if you get there late, you've paid for a full day, but only get 1/2 of it!

I'm sorry.....really didn't plan on a squabble...but how do you figure you paid for Day 1 ( that is Day 1 starting at 11:00 A.M.) ??

ALL RCI brochures and ALL information on-line, market / advertise cruises based on the number of NIGHTS ! It's a 7 NIGHT cruise, not a 7 DAY cruise. I know.... the Cruise Compass lists it as "Day One" and yes...... it says the Windjammer is open, but this is a courtesy that RCI chooses to extend not something you "paid for".

Again, not trying to squabble. Chrystal Ball Time -- 2013 -- "RCI starts enforcing boarding times, or offers early boarding at a fee. Cruise Critic members form angry mob and take to the streets!! " :)

The wife and I exited our cab ( Port of Miami) at 11:05AM. We were on deck, with drink in hand, at 11:20AM. For fun, we went to our room around 2PM and looked down below, into the terminal, and the lines were outrageous. Definitely, don't wait until 2PM. Get there very early, or get there late (but not too late). Have fun !!!

I haven't ever done the line check...agree though don't wait...get aboard early and start the cruise vacation you paid for!!!!!!!

I think they just tell you that because they still have to clean the ship from everyone getting off and if theres 1000 or so people on board running around excited it makes it a little hard lol...we've always gotten there before noon and we're never the first group so we still normally have to end up waiting but its not bad...thats the exciting part!...looking at everyone ur spending the next few days with and sometimes having a good laugh:D

Archived