Travel Insurance

Johnthed0g

In the UK it is almost unheard of but I suppose a cruise from the US that stays in the US it would be less of a problem, we are paranoid here about the cost of healthcare in the States...ours is basically free.

There is a thread on here about travel insurance, an awful lot of people don't bother ....do you?

Isn't it a booking condition of P&O that you have adequate travel insurance and they require the details before you depart?:confused:

Isn't it a booking condition of P&O that you have adequate travel insurance and they require the details before you depart?:confused:

Yes of course it's a condition, but I doubt they check, some say they don't bother, I just wondered.

Yes of course it's a condition, but I doubt they check, some say they don't bother, I just wondered.

When I booked a couple of weeks ago the TA said that it now must inform P&O of the details, and when you go to your account it specifically asks you for your travel insurance details including the company and an emergency contact number. As we have an annual policy, I didn't bother letting the TA know aboutr the details, but they contacted me again a few days ago as they were being chased for the details.

P&O must want to make sure you can afford their cold storage fees should the worst happen, after all it's an additional bed!!! (only joking!);)

I thought there was a section when you go into your P&O account that has to be completed before you travel, which includes details of your insurance cover. If you do not complete it on line, then they will sent you a form prior to departure.

I had contact with my T/A today, re my Thomson cruise starting Wednesday, and she asked me if I had got my Insurance Cover, because when I booked I said I was arranging my own. I queried with her that I had already passed those details to her, and she told me, once they had passed my original booking to Thomson, they could not upgrade the details. However Thomson would do that at embarkation, and to make sure I had those details with me. So it would appear that Thomson's at least check.

I also take Coach holidays in the UK, and they ask for insurance, but we have never bothered.

Even if you have travel insurance, they are very good at dumping you if you have to declare a condition. I have been dumped for reaching 65, having a hernia and my wife was dumped for having pneumonia.

It would appear that if you make a claim, they get your medical records from your doctor, and if you have not declared a condition, they void the policy and don't pay up!

We are already limited to Europe, due to the high medical costs in the rest of the world. I am sure I have read that you are often disembarked to a local hospital for treatment, don't fancy being dumped in some far distant port without travel insurance!

Richard

That is a good point, we tend to think the cruise line will take good care of us in their comprehensive medical facility....the truth is they look after you until they can offload you, which could be anywhere with a "suitable" hospital.

On Oceana, one of our table companions had a heart condition, as a result at most ports of call they decided to take it easy and just go ashore and have a walk around.

However last port of call Bergen, they decided to do an Excursion. He became a bit agitated because he had locked something in the safe and then could not open it. Anyway they left the ship and were waiting on the dock for the coach, he collapsed. P&O would not treat him on the quay, they said it was outside there jurisdiction. That had to call an ambulance and he had go to Hospital. Luckily everything turned out OK, and he returned to the ship.

On the other hand we met some people on our coach tour of Ireland last year, who we have become friendly with. They were on a cruise, don't remember the cruise details (not P&O), think it was Princess cruises, he had a heart attack on board, and was taken to a hospital in Germany, said he had fantastic treatment, looked after him and his wife very well, including flights home etc, he could not fault them. Obviously he has got over it, to a certain extent, to be able to go to Ireland.

Oh they bothered, did they bother.

Mother-in-Laws first cruise in years, only a 3 day, but she thought she was covered by an E111. They practically denied boarding! We had to ring around a shed load of insurers on a Saturday morning at the checkin. The checkin staff were vey good however and made the calls on our behalf.

Admittedly we have declared our insurance in cruise personaliser of equivalent but I have never been asked to provide the proof. Aside from all the fringe benefits, hospital fees, travel delay or cancellation, there is that comfortable feeling that someone else will pay the bill for diverting the ship or the helicopter ride ashore :)

Sorry, I meant to say that some passengers don't bother with insurance as well as saying P&O don't bother to check. I just put the details in the online check-in thing but have never been asked anything further. My insurance is with my bank account, I have asked if it is OK for cruising & they say it's fine, I do pay a fee for the account so it's not actually free. It seems mainly Americans who travel without insurance but then if they are in their own country with medical insurance it is covered by that I suppose.

Marks and Spencer too have a deal to 80 for £120pa (£10/m).

Th ecompany I use has a baggage 'opt-out' clause. This avoids the double insurance pitfall where, if you lose your baggage, the TA would only pay half expecting your other insurer (house and contents) to pay the balance.

You could do it the other way to and exclude it from your home insurance but that way you would not be covered for ordinary events away from home in UK.

travel insurance dot tell me about them, my mum took a yearly one out last August and we booked a holiday some time ago, last tuesday she was told she had type 2 diabetes (MILD ) and no medication, rang and told them about this and was told she had to cancel the first insurance as no cover as things have changed, we took this insurance last year and have already had one cruise last year, if you have a car accient you dont pay more until the renewal.

Not FAIR

Don't even consider travelling without insurance. My ex-husband was severely injured on holiday. they had to take him out on a CASEVAC - he was in hospital in the UK for 3 months with a broken pelvis, ruptured spleen. If we had not paid the travel insurance, it would have cost us over £25,000. It's just not worth it

We too have always had our insurance with our bank account. Fortunately our account was active before they required you to pay for it, as long as you keep a certain amount in, so we have enjoyed free insurance. You do have to now fill in your details on the cruise personaliser before you go and you cannot sail without it. I suppose P&O trust you to be telling the truth about your details and so dont ask to see any paperwork. I would never travel without any anyway. Fortunately we have never needed to call upon it, but you never know. I've seen a number of people taken off in ambulances or even helicopters. I bet they were glad they'd got insurance! Though some of the places they were left in I wouldnt have been comfortable with. Then again my local hospital is Stafford!! Enough said!!

Archived