Camera Buffs- Would you buy a nice SLR camera in St. Maarten?

MDSue

I am coming to St. Maarten at the end of the month and I'm seriously considering buying a nice SLR camera and lens at the Camera shop on the pier. Two years ago, I got a great deal on a Sony Cybershot camera and paid a good bit less than what I would have paid locally [i did plenty of shopping ahead]. Anyway, that camera has been problem free and a great buy; but I'm more nervous about shelling out a lot of money there for a good SLR camera, especially if I encounter warranty issues.

I'm looking at the Nikon D90 which retails for around $1000 here [more with a decent lens].

Does anyone have recent experience purchasing a camera here or ever had to use the factory warranty? If so, was the savings worth the extra risk involved in distance buying?

Is this particular camera even available there?

I'd love any feedback:)

I am coming to St. Maarten at the end of the month and I'm seriously considering buying a nice SLR camera and lens at the Camera shop on the pier. Two years ago, I got a great deal on a Sony Cybershot camera and paid a good bit less than what I would have paid locally [i did plenty of shopping ahead]. Anyway, that camera has been problem free and a great buy; but I'm more nervous about shelling out a lot of money there for a good SLR camera, especially if I encounter warranty issues.

I'm looking at the Nikon D90 which retails for around $1000 here [more with a decent lens].

Does anyone have recent experience purchasing a camera here or ever had to use the factory warranty? If so, was the savings worth the extra risk involved in distance buying?

My husband deals with either Bolchards or Choulani's(across from the church) as they are the only two Nikon authorized dealers in St. Marten. He also suggests getting the price from B & H online in the US and comparing the price to those in St. Maarten.

Thanks for the suggestions! I bought at Boolchands also- but it was a smaller-less expensive camera. I will definitely do plenty of advance research, but the problem is I want to use the camera on vacation so if I don't have a good idea if I will save money- I won't know whether to buy before I leave or wait and buy there.

Thanks for the suggestions! I bought at Boolchands also- but it was a smaller-less expensive camera. I will definitely do plenty of advance research, but the problem is I want to use the camera on vacation so if I don't have a good idea if I will save money- I won't know whether to buy before I leave or wait and buy there.

We will be on vacation in St. Maarten later this month. I could check at both of the stores and get back to you at the end of the month. Let me know if that would be in time for your trip.

We will be on vacation in St. Maarten later this month. I could check at both of the stores and get back to you at the end of the month. Let me know if that would be in time for your trip.

Hi Karysa, We are going to be on the Serenade departing March 27th. St. Maarten is our second stop, which should put is there on the 29th. I appreciate your offer and if you are back before then, I'd love a comparison. Thanks:)

Hi Karysa, We are going to be on the Serenade departing March 27th. St. Maarten is our second stop, which should put is there on the 29th. I appreciate your offer and if you are back before then, I'd love a comparison. Thanks:)

We won't be back until the 25th so I will send you the info from St. Maarten, we will have internet access and plan on going to Philipsburg, around the middle of the month. My DH said that he would be happy to check the prices for you. It will give him someone else's money to spend which will be a good thing.:D Is there a particular lens that you are looking for?

If I were you I would grab the camera this weekend to get used to it and be able to get as much out of it on the trip as possible.

Do you really want to buy it in the middle of your cruise and spend a day or two charging the battery and figuring out how to get the best photos out of it?

How much would that be worth?

Costco sells the D90.

gary

Make sure they are US models. Nikon policy is that if it ain't US and you are seek repairs or warranty no authorized Nikon dealer in the US will touch the equipment if it is import. WOn't be a problem if your 900 camera and 500 dollar lense never has a problem or needs service, but if it does that $50 dollar so savings in tax might not look like such a good deal anymore

As another poster also said, unless you are a expert a new complicated DSLR might not be so easy to just buy and start shooting.

Good luck,

If I were you I would grab the camera this weekend to get used to it and be able to get as much out of it on the trip as possible.

Do you really want to buy it in the middle of your cruise and spend a day or two charging the battery and figuring out how to get the best photos out of it?

Costco sells the D90.

gary

Does it really take a day or two to charge the battery? I never thought about that. I know my previous digital had a partially charged battery in it. You are right that it will probably take me a little time to get used to using one though- but what better place to learn than the caribbean. I still have my regular digital to use as well.

If I can save a few hundred, it would be worth it to me though, since it will be a big long term investment for me.

I have a Costco close by and I know they have them. I have been watching the prices around here and will be checking online as well.

Thnaks for your advice:)

Make sure they are US models. Nikon policy is that if it ain't US and you are seek repairs or warranty no authorized Nikon dealer in the US will touch the equipment if it is import. WOn't be a problem if your 900 camera and 500 dollar lense never has a problem or needs service, but if it does that $50 dollar so savings in tax might not look like such a good deal anymore

As another poster also said, unless you are a expert a new complicated DSLR might not be so easy to just buy and start shooting.

Good luck,

The Sony that I bought was a factory original camera. I am not interested in a gray market camera for sure. I saved about a third of the cost on my previous purchase. It wouldn't be worth it to me for just $50, but if I can get a $1000 camera for $700 or $800 it would be worth the risk. I know from experience that any camera repair [even if I buy locally] will have to be sent out to the factory for repair. My last purchase came with a one year factory warranty.

Anyway, this is why I'm seeking advice ahead of time. Looking for pros and cons before I leave. Thanks:)

Does it really take a day or two to charge the battery? I never thought about that. I know my previous digital had a partially charged battery in it. You are right that it will probably take me a little time to get used to using one though- but what better place to learn than the caribbean. I still have my regular digital to use as well.

If I can save a few hundred, it would be worth it to me though, since it will be a big long term investment for me.

I have a Costco close by and I know they have them. I have been watching the prices around here and will be checking online as well.

Thnaks for your advice:)

My comment included more than just charging the battery:

"charging the battery and figuring out how to get the best photos out of it"

I wouldn't want to use the Caribbean as "What better place to learn", but as "what better place to photograph".

I'd buy mine here and practice before the trip.

gary

Costco sells the D90.

gary

Gary brought up some good points. If you are just upgrading from one Nikon to the latest and greatest Nikon it is easy to figure it out but going from a point and shoot will be quite a change. My DH has actually been asked many times on cruises and trips for advice when someone brings a new camera with them. He has even set time aside and met for coffee to help a man get the best pictures he could possibly get on his trip.

My comment included more than just charging the battery:

"charging the battery and figuring out how to get the best photos out of it"

I wouldn't want to use the Caribbean as "What better place to learn", but as "what better place to photograph".

I'd buy mine here and practice before the trip.

gary

Thanks Gary, One of my problems is that I work full-time and then take full-time classes which I will be finishing the day before I leave. So I won't have anytime between now and then to practice.

Some of my concerns of practicing and learning in the Caribbean are whether I have to worry about theft or getting sand in the lens. Other than that, I think I will enjoy practicing while cruising. I understand that my pictures might start out as less than stellar.

The other concern of course is warranty issues. I assume if I buy from a local, reputable dealer that I can get reliable service or exchange the camera. So the biggest risk for me that I'm considering is the what if there is a problem with the camera kind?

We have bought 6 cameras from Boolchands over the years and would not hesitate to buy again.

Check the internet pricing before you go on the trip and remember, no sales tax or s/h on the island.

I was shopping for a very specific camera and got a price from Chulani's then walked down to Boochands to check their price. Boolchand's price was higher by a fair amount so I told them the price I got down the street and asked if they would match or beat it. The sales guy said no. I asked if he really wanted me to take my money down the street and get the very same item for less. He said let me check with the store manager. After checking he said they would come "close". I walked out. Chulani's then gave me a number of accessories for pennies. Those included a high-end case, big memory card and extra battery.

I always go thu this same routine and Boolchands pricing is always higher. I mentioned this to Chulani and the store manager gave me some very interesting infor about Boolchands. Now the only reason I go into Boolchands is to say hi to a very good local friend who happens to work at Chulani (but not in the camera department).

I was shopping for a very specific camera and got a price from Chulani's then walked down to Boochands to check their price. Boolchand's price was higher by a fair amount so I told them the price I got down the street and asked if they would match or beat it. The sales guy said no. I asked if he really wanted me to take my money down the street and get the very same item for less. He said let me check with the store manager. After checking he said they would come "close". I walked out. Chulani's then gave me a number of accessories for pennies. Those included a high-end case, big memory card and extra battery.

I always go thu this same routine and Boolchands pricing is always higher. I mentioned this to Chulani and the store manager gave me some very interesting infor about Boolchands. Now the only reason I go into Boolchands is to say hi to a very good local friend who happens to work at Chulani (but not in the camera department).

Verrry Interestring..... and definitely worth remembering.

Of course, with two new Panasonic super-zooms (one is the TS1 waterproof, sort of a super-zoom), don't expect to be in the camera market for years.

The part above I highlighted in red, you really meant to say "works in Boolchands??????"

• 3 weeks later...

The new free internet at the resort isn't what it is cracked up to be. I tried twice last week to send you the information that my DH was able to gather for you but both times the internet was down. Anyways, here is what he found out. Boolchands price was about $50.00 cheaper than Choulani's. Here are the prices that he got from Joe Lalwan at the 50 Front St. location:

D90 body - $750.00 with 18/55 lens $800.00, with 18/105 lens $975.00 and his personal recommendation, the most expensive combo of course, is the D-90 body with the 18-200 lens which cost $1475.00. As of the middle of last week they had all of these in stock. If you have already made your purchase enjoy taking pictures with whatever you decided on and maybe someone else interested in such a purchase will benefit from this information.

• 4 weeks later...

Good to see that you are looking at Boolachands & Chulani, not Super Jewelers & Electronics. I am currently in a dispute with Super Jewelers & Electronics. I returned the camera to them & they refuse to credit my VISA! They are KEEPING the camera AND my money. Once you leave the store, communication ceases! It is part of a scam they use. I just don't want to see anyone else go through the stress that I've indured over this!

I originally asked what others thought about buying a nice camera in St. Maarten. I thought I'd report back my experience. The first shop that I went in [can't remember the name- but you had to walk up a flight of stairs to ge there, right off the main street]. I asked about the Nikon D90. The salesperson showed me a box with the camera in it and gave me a price similar to what I'd pay in the states. This store strictly sold stuff, but didn't know anything about the product, nor did they offer any incentives for me to purchase there.

From there, I went to Boolchands in town, not on the dock. There, I asked about the Nikon D90. The price there was about $200 cheaper than the states- definitely a good deal to me. The saleserson was extremely knowledgable about cameras and offered many extra's to go along with the purchase- tripod, lens cleaners, large memory card, etc.

He also compared the Nikon with a newer and nicer model Canon [The T2i]. Ultimatley, he convinced me to buy the Canon, as well as a nice lens to go with it. The only problem is that I hadn't done any research on the Canon, so I had no way of knowing what kind of deal i was getting.

As soon as I got home, I did some research and learned I paid a similar price than the lowest online price. The main benefit of buying in St. Maarten was the freebies I got with the camera.

Overall, I love my new camera and am happy with my purchase. The salesperson took plenty of time showing me how to use many of the features.

Now, I just have to learn how to use all the features!

I originally asked what others thought about buying a nice camera in St. Maarten. I thought I'd report back my experience. <snip>

Hope you're happy with your new camera, but it sounds like you broke your own rules in buying it.

It doesn't matter how much research you do on the camera that you intend to purchase if you end up buying something entirely different at the point of purchase that you hadn't done any research on.

Seriously, I hope that you're happy, but you should at least share with us the price quote on the Nikon and on the Canon that you purchased, and tell us about all of the 'freebies'.

The good thing here is that you didn't have to pay any state sales tax on the purchase. Of course I don't know if you payed any U.S. Customs duty on the purchase.

gary

We have bought 6 cameras from Boolchands over the years and would not hesitate to buy again.

Check the internet pricing before you go on the trip and remember, no sales tax or s/h on the island.

No sales tax or shipping from most internet vendors in the states so this is not an advantage.

DON

Hope you're happy with your new camera, but it sounds like you broke your own rules in buying it.

It doesn't matter how much research you do on the camera that you intend to purchase if you end up buying something entirely different at the point of purchase that you hadn't done any research on.

Seriously, I hope that you're happy, but you should at least share with us the price quote on the Nikon and on the Canon that you purchased, and tell us about all of the 'freebies'.

The good thing here is that you didn't have to pay any state sales tax on the purchase. Of course I don't know if you payed any U.S. Customs duty on the purchase.

gary

Gary- I wish my memory was good enough to give you exact figures. I did post that the Nikon D90 was about 200 dollars cheaper at Boolchands than the lowest price I could find online in the States , but not the other store. I would not have purchased at any price in the first store I looked in- it was totally unimpressive.

I definitely took a risk purchasing a camera that I had done no research on- the salesman gave me a run down on the pros and cons of each camera and the Canon won me over- more megapixels- 18 vs 12, better HD video, metal versus plastic lens and so forth. The Nikon with a lens was in the 800 range-the Canon would have been a similar price, but I bought one with an upgraded lens. I have not been able to find the exact camera and lens package online to price compare, but when I price them separately, they come to around $1200, which is what I paid. The additional lens was also $1200- which is about the same online [$1250].

I am extremely happy with my purchase. Since I have done business with this company before, I had faith in their products.There are no "gray market" cameras here.

On the other hand- I would have been just as happy purchasing from a local dealer who would have given me a similar deal- there are pros and cons to either.

I saved 6% tax or $144. I recieved a tripod, extra capacity memory card, camera case, lens cleaning kit, and a polarizing lens as freebies. I can''t say how much exactly all that is worth. Since you can only bring in 800 dollars in duty free merchandise- one should opt to declare their purchase. I often wonder how many people declare the expensive items they purchase abroad. I certainly wouldn't advise against it- other than say I've never seen a custom official seem concerned with one's purchases.

Everyone has their own comfort level when it comes to purchases in other countries- I knew I was taking a risk- but I'm thrilled with my once in a lifetime purchase and will definitely shop there on future trips.

And I love my camera:)

Archived