Beware!! Westerdam Capt. Waits for noboby

jbruch

Did you know that the salaries of HAL Senior Officers are partially determined by fuel consumption? If the ship does not meet company mandated fuel costs, a sizeable chunk of money disappears from the paychecks of several senior officers on the ship.

Really interesting. Do you know if RCCL/Azamara is run the same way with pay (or bonuses?) determined by fuel consumption? Their new direction is long and lots of port stops and overnights. Those on CC have figured out the benefit to "slow the ships down" may be more for the cruise line vs passengers who do like overnights but not necessarily tons of them.

Interesting info about the extra costs incurred should the Captain have decided to put the gangway down to pick up this pax.

I recounted the story to my husband (who is a "boat person" - taken many Power Squadron and CGAux courses) and he mentioned the tides as well as the sandbar & reefs in the harbor in Aruba.

Apparently the OP thought "All Aboard" time was 4:30 with a grace period lasting until 5 PM :confused: :eek: :confused:

As I said in an earlier post, I watched this exact scenario play out in Curacao on 2/20, with a mother, father and little one in a stroller running toward the gangway at 4:45 (after their names had already been announced on the PA) and was dumbfounded...that someone would be so stupid to do this, especially when sailing with a small child.

Having said that, I will point out that I have noticed in port, when docked with other cruise lines, this is a fairly common occurrence on other cruise lines. Not usually on HAL, in my experience.

There are numerous reasons why a ship might leave early. In Aruba the tide may well have been a factor - you might have noticed the sand bar as you sailed in. Leaving 9 - 12 minutes early may have given the ship a much greater safety margin. It's quite possible the tide was going out a little earlier than anticipated...

Here's a pic of that Aruba sandbar, taken a couple weeks ago from the docked Noordam - with just a 4x zoom. The pier is on one side of the ship while this is on the other. Not a lot of room for navigation.

2992743590101871348S600x600Q85.jpg

Okay, I out myself: I feel with the OP and if the total facts are as he writes, it would not have been a unreasonable act of consideration to wait.

I will tell you a positive example of a captain who did show consideration:

In short a few other passengers and me were hidden my disruptions in train traffic . Even having planned to be back two hours before departure time was not enough when serveral trains did not run and the one we finally got just stopped somewhere on the way. Using the telephone number provided in the daily schedule passengers called the port agent. The captain (of the Queen Elizabeth 2) did not only wait but they even sent an extra shuttle bus to the port entrance long after the last one was supposed to run. When we arrived, the ship was ready to go, we boarded and the gangway was lifted. Nobody even said something negative.

Later on fellows passengers told me the captain had made an annoucement the ship would be late due to some passengers with travel problems. As he knew where we were and that we would probably be back in a reasonable amount of time he would make every effort to take all passengers with him.

This captain cared for his passengers and understood that accidents etc. do happen.

You "sheeple" are missing the point! Yes I am to blame, no question about it. And for all your questions about what happened to me, that also doesn't matter as the ship or my wife did not know( accident, mugged, kidnapped, shot, drowned, or at the bar??) My question that no one seems to care or understand is why these cruise lines say that they will be in a port and "depart" at a stated time when I guess they know and we know that the time of true departure is either always a 1/2 hour early or at the Captains discretion. Why can't the cruise lines be honest and clear and state they will be in a port at 4:30 as opposed to 5:00. We the "sheeple" lose 1/2 hour of our vacation and even more because some of you paranoid/scared get on hours before "all aboard tome". So is it false advertising to say the ship "departs" at one time only to find out the "all aboard is different" What does the word "depart" mean in their brochures and advertising?? This is why I challenged the fact that the ship would leave before a published "departure" time even though not all passengers are on board. Yes the story is true the ship did change even the date we were to be in Aruba as well as the "departure" time (even though this time means nothing) from 11pm to 5pm. So should the cruise lines be honest with us and publish the fact that the ship actual departs at 4:30 is the true question. The problem seems to be cruise passengers are "sheeple" and are more concerned about eating with the "herd" Baaa! And for those that say they were watching and didn't see me running, that is because I was stopped/detained by Aruba port authority which was communicating with the Captain and ship as they were looking for me. I must say that my adventures and the experience getting back was far better than being at sea with rude and inconsiderate passengers of HAL. I just felt bad for my wife...She was stuck with you. I would be careful as KARMA could strike and this could be your story. My FAULT 100%. Live and learn. So why don't you posters use all this energy to change the cruise industry so they publish true departure times or at least wait until the published departure before they leave a passenger/customer behind. Time to be TRUE and accurate.

You keep focusing on the ship's departure time when you really should have been focusing on the all aboard time. These times have been clearly stated in multiple locations on every cruise I've ever been on, including the HAL one. With 10 cruises under your belt, surely this concept isn't new?

You "sheeple" are missing the point! Yes I am to blame, no question about it. And for all your questions about what happened to me, that also doesn't matter as the ship or my wife did not know( accident, mugged, kidnapped, shot, drowned, or at the bar??) My question that no one seems to care or understand is why these cruise lines say that they will be in a port and "depart" at a stated time when I guess they know and we know that the time of true departure is either always a 1/2 hour early or at the Captains discretion. Why can't the cruise lines be honest and clear and state they will be in a port at 4:30 as opposed to 5:00. We the "sheeple" lose 1/2 hour of our vacation and even more because some of you paranoid/scared get on hours before "all aboard tome". So is it false advertising to say the ship "departs" at one time only to find out the "all aboard is different" What does the word "depart" mean in their brochures and advertising?? This is why I challenged the fact that the ship would leave before a published "departure" time even though not all passengers are on board. Yes the story is true the ship did change even the date we were to be in Aruba as well as the "departure" time (even though this time means nothing) from 11pm to 5pm. So should the cruise lines be honest with us and publish the fact that the ship actual departs at 4:30 is the true question. The problem seems to be cruise passengers are "sheeple" and are more concerned about eating with the "herd" Baaa! And for those that say they were watching and didn't see me running, that is because I was stopped/detained by Aruba port authority which was communicating with the Captain and ship as they were looking for me. I must say that my adventures and the experience getting back was far better than being at sea with rude and inconsiderate passengers of HAL. I just felt bad for my wife...She was stuck with you. I would be careful as KARMA could strike and this could be your story. My FAULT 100%. Live and learn. So why don't you posters use all this energy to change the cruise industry so they publish true departure times or at least wait until the published departure before they leave a passenger/customer behind. Time to be TRUE and accurate.

You are the one that is missing the point. In order for the ship to leave on time everyone must be aboard 30 minutes early. A cruise ship is not like a car. You just don't start the engine, put it in gear, release the parking break and just take off.

The same early rule applies to airplanes also. Boarding begins 40 minutes before departure and by 10 minutes before departure your seat can be given away.

Don't blame the ship. You were informed that all on board was 4:30. If you had been on time, the ship would not have left without you.

I'm confused. Did the ship depart at 4:30? I thought they pulled the gangplank up at 4:41 (or something, I'm not going back to check). Usually there is an interval of time after the raising of the gangplank and the departing of the ship.

I'm just asking because I'm going on a cruise soon and this all sounds so complicated! :rolleyes:

I'm confused. Did the ship depart at 4:30? I thought they pulled the gangplank up at 4:41 (or something, I'm not going back to check). Usually there is an interval of time after the raising of the gangplank and the departing of the ship.

I'm just asking because I'm going on a cruise soon and this all sounds so complicated! :rolleyes:

Just make sure you are back in time. The ship will post the all on board time or the last tender time. If you arrive after that time there is a good chance you will be left behind.

So is it false advertising to say the ship "departs" at one time only to find out the "all aboard is different"
Ridiculous argument! Do you expect to board a plane or train at the scheduled departure time? :rolleyes:

Just make sure you are back in time. The ship will post the all on board time or the last tender time. If you arrive after that time there is a good chance you will be left behind.

OK thanks. I was being sarcastic though - hence the rolly eyes. It's not complicated at all really. The cruiseline publishes the departure time, not the all aboard time. Any 5 year old would understand that the peoples need to be on the ship before its can depart!

OK thanks. I was being sarcastic though - hence the rolly eyes. It's not complicated at all really. The cruiseline publishes the departure time, not the all aboard time. Any 5 year old would understand that the peoples need to be on the ship before its can depart!

The ships do publish the all on board time. Here is just one example. But I can provide more examples ...

c-IMGP0757.jpg

The ships do publish the all on board time. Here is just one example. But I can provide more examples ...

c-IMGP0757.jpg

That is probably a typo. Don't those signs usually read:

"ALL GUESTS ON BOARD : 6:15-ISH OR SO. MAYBE 7 IS OK TOO."

The CD announces every morning what time all aboard is then adds as 'the ship will be sailing to **next** port at a time that is almost always thirty minutes after the all aboard time. This was not OP's first cruise and even if it was, so what. No one kept it a secret when everyone had to return to the ship.

It is printed in the daily program... Both the all aboard and sailaway times.

In addition, just in case someone couldn't get the message by those methods, it is clearly posted right at the gangway.

If a passenger cannot get the message from all those sources, they can ask the person in front or behind them disembarking what time they need to be back.

They can ask the security person who swipes their ID card as they leave the ship.

They can ask any of the excursion folks who are on the dock organizing the tour people.

For pete's sake, ask the photographer.

There is no excuse to not know when to be back aboard.

Just once, it would be so great for someone to 'own their mistake' and take the blame for their own fault. We are always trying to blame someone else. Personal responsibility!!!

OP takes the heat all by himself on this one IMO

Ridiculous argument! Do you expect to board a plane or train at the scheduled departure time? :rolleyes:

Exactly, John!

When we flew to Fort Lauderdale recently, the gate closed 15 minutes before departure. And, same when we flew home from Tampa (we spent some time on the West Coast post-cruise).

DH almost had a heart attack (being one of those who is always back on the ship 2 hours before "all aboard" ;) ). He had inadvertently put his aerosol shaving cream & bottle of after shave in his carry-on :o, so the TSA went through his carry on with a fine tooth come. We just made the 15 minute cut off. And, we were at the airport on the 8 AM hotel shuttle for a 10:11 flight...that's the kicker!

Having said that, when leaving the ship in port, all we pay attention to is the "All Aboard" time. And, we're always on the ship well before that time. Peeps who cut it so close have no sympathy from me.

In addition, just in case someone couldn't get the message by those methods, it is clearly posted right at the gangway.

Sometimes left of the gangway. It all depends on which way the ship is facing.

"Sheeple" I like that, is it in Wikepedia?

This post has been great fun. Bottom line - if you are late you most likely will lose!!

There have been exceptions to this but I would never want to test them. Probably the worst place to get left behind is Costa Maya. Miles and miles of surrounding jungles. We were on an X ship watching a Carnival ship broadcasting 2 names continuously for 1/2 hour. Finally the ship left the dock, then, there were 2, perhaps inebriated, men running down the pier after the ship. The ship was perhaps 200 yards from the pier. It then stopped and backed to the pier to pick up these miscreants. We heard that they were fined $500 each.

Everyone on our ship was having a gay old time watching this scenario.

Back to the OP, what I don't understand is that the sail time was 5 pm. Why did the captain leave early? We have taken many cruises but don't remember leaving exceptionally early from port departures. I understand it is his prerogative but c'est la vie! The whole scenario sounds fishy.

Archived