Beware!! Westerdam Capt. Waits for noboby

jbruch

Beware cruisers!!! I recently went on a cruise on the Westerdam and in the port of Aruba I was left behind with my wife and 2 kids begging the ship to wait a couple more minuites for me. When we booked this cruise the departure time in Aruba was 5pm but once we arrived it was announced the "All aboard time" was 4:30. The gangway was lifted at 4:41 as outlined in the ship log. What horrible service!! To sail early when a customer is missing from the ship?? I was 5 minutes too late. Granted I should have been more timely but mistakes, accidents do happen. My wife pleaded for them to wait, there was even communication from the port security that I was running to catch the ship and the Captain stated that he "waits for no one". I offered $1000.00 to lower the gangway back down ( the ship was still docked, just untied with gangway lifted) or even tender me out and again the Captain stated that he waits for no one. BEWARE!! Horrible service with no regard to passenger safety. Long story short my wife and 2 kids had 2 1/2 days at sea without me and I had to fly back to Ft. Lauderdale to meet them. Why would a ship sail early when passengers are missing?? This was my 10th cruise and I will never sail Holland America again. Even there corporate customer service was bad with a focus on covering there A$$ and backing the Capt. on his bad decision. Don't be late or this cruise line will leave you, no questions asked!!!

If posted all aboard was 4:30 plank raised at 4:41 and you were 5 min late, 4:46. In my math this is 16min late. I'm really sorry for your trouble, but I don't see how Holland America is at fault. Yes, "things" happen ashore that are unforseen, but not the cruise lines fault.

When we booked this cruise the departure time in Aruba was 5pm but once we arrived it was announced the "All aboard time" was 4:30. The gangway was lifted at 4:41 as outlined in the ship log. What horrible service!! This was my 10th cruise and I will never sail Holland America again.

So - your lateness is somehow Holland America's fault?

Sorry - I sympathize with you, and I can't imagine what you went through was fun or pleasant, but you, not the cruise line, were responsible for being back onboard at the posted time, regardless of the time in the brochure.

In many instances, the Captain has no choice. He has a local pilot onboard, he has traffic cleared for him - he cannot wait. It's very similar to an airport - that plane has to take off whether you're onboard or not.

People have to take some personal responsibility for their actions and consequences. Sorry - that's just how it is.

I do hope your next cruise is more enjoyable.

No reason to post a "beware" and rant about poor service. Passengers are told ahead of time [read your ticket info] that those who are not on board at the state time may be left behind. It's up to you to make sure you get back by the "all aboard" time. Missing the ship is the chance you take when you do independent excursions. If you had been on a ship's excursion, they ship would have waited. Most people on this board would already be aware that they must be back at the ship by all aboard time or risk being left behind.

You always want to take ashore the info about the ship's shore agent.

Your expenses may have been covered if your trip insurance covers "missing the boat".

Better luck next time.

I have to agree, it was not the cruise line's fault. It sounds like you were aware of the all aboard time... it was YOUR responsibilty to there. I missed a flight once, it certainly wasn't the airline's fault. You can bet I always allow extra time now.

I tried to get on at 4:48 or so. And am totally to blame, but to leave early when other family memebers are on board and to leave early?? Why not at least wait until 5pm, what's the hurry and what happened to passenger safety and service.

It is a good reminder to everyone to make sure you are always on time with respect to ship sailing times.

He is to blame, but I know how the OP feels, having recently been stuck at an airport because "the door had closed" to the jetway, even though I watched my plane sit there for another ten minutes before leaving. Its extremely frustrating.

I'm so sorry for your missing the ship. How terrible. However, it's not HALs fault. The likelyhood of this happening on any other line is the same - it's not just a HAL 'thing'. Regardless of the cruiseline we're on, we make it a policy to be on the ship one hour before sailing.

It is STANDARD PRACTICE on ALL cruise lines for the all aboard to be at least 30-min prior to sailing. You KNEW that you needed to be BACK ON BOARD at 4:30. Your family was NOT. As the others have stated, it is only YOUR fault. You won't have any better luck on other cruise lines.

OP,

You've been on 10 cruises. How is that you were not aware that the all-aboard time for ports you are visiting is earlier than the time listed onthe itinerary? That has always beenthe case on every one of my cruises. Am I missing something?

Does someone have the link to the video posted late summer/early fall 2009 of the passengers left at the dock, hubby and wife both running as passengers who PAID ATTENTION were video taping them being left behind?

Sorry bud, you get no sympathy from me. All Aboard is 30 read my words THIRTY minutes prior to scheduld departure.

You screwed up so do not expect sympathy from me or most Cruise passengers, no matter what line it is!!

NOT HAL's fault 100% yours and yours alone!!

Joanie

I tried to get on at 4:48 or so. And am totally to blame, but to leave early when other family memebers are on board and to leave early?? Why not at least wait until 5pm, what's the hurry and what happened to passenger safety and service.

Btw, as Tina Turner likes to sing, what's passenger safety got to do with it?

If I remember correctly from our Aruba stop, we had to sail when there were no planes trying to land at the airport. That day the planes were coming in from the sea and when the airport said GO, we went. But a Delta plane sure came in low just above us as we went by the landing runway.

I agree that it is totally the fault of the passenger for missing the ship.

That said, I still have to wonder just how rigid this policy is dictated by the line, or how much latitude the Captain has. I have been at the promenade rail observing sailaway on a few occasions when the ship actually waited almost a half hour beyond departure time for only two late passengers (who were 'greeted' by a chorus of boos and catcalls from other passengers). I can see waiting for a busload on a ship shorex, but only two passengers?

Sorry you had this situation but don't blame Captain or anyone but yourself.

You were late.

I'm quite sure you will watch the time more closely in the future.

Did you have your passport on you or did someone give it to the Port Agent to give to you so you could fly?

Glad you are safely home.

Why not at least wait until 5pm, what's the hurry and what happened to passenger safety and service.

Sure thing, but why not 5:30, 6:00, 8:00.

Better yet, perhaps next time, the Captain should provide you with cell phone so that you can call him and let him know what time you will be back on board so he can plan his departure around your schedule. Would that fit into your idea of passenger service?

Any sympathy for your 'problem' from me would be located in Websters.

Btw, as Tina Turner likes to sing, what's passenger safety got to do with it?

What about the 1349 passengers who were on board, on time? It is a little egocentric to think they should all wait for you.:rolleyes:

That said, I still have to wonder just how rigid this policy is dictated by the line, or how much latitude the Captain has.
I believe it is entirely up to the captain as long as he can make his schedule without excessive fuel consumption for higher speed than planned. On our most recent cruise we didn't sail from one island until 20 minutes after scheduled departure, 50 minutes after all-aboard, because Capt Mateboer had the luxury of a short run to the next port, and didn't have to worry about other factors, such as tides. He made it very clear on the PA that this was an exception, and would not become a common practice!
Beware!! Westerdam Capt. Waits for noboby

Is that last word missing an "o"? :rolleyes:

I think all of us on this board feel sorry for the OP and especially his family. However, personally I am tired of folks who are constantly late and expect everyone to wait for them, as I consider constant lateness to be rude and inconsiderate behavior.

A close friend of mine and his wife were always late (30 minutes) for our dinner outings. I got tired of waiting around in a nice rest. for them constantly, so we just stopped going out with them. A couple of years later he was taking his enitre family to HI and of course he was late, so the plane took off without them and he had to wait until the next day for the next flight to HI. The next day he was at the airport in plenty of time, but did not check-in at the gate the required 10 minutes before, so he got bumped again! Two days of vacation wasted due to being late. Some people just never learn!

If everyone, including all businesses, would stick to the times closer and not allow these folks to delay everyone else, things would go alot smoother for everyone.

I say - good for HAL on this one.

DaveOKC

No reason to post a "beware" and rant about poor service. Passengers are told ahead of time [read your ticket info] that those who are not on board at the state time may be left behind. It's up to you to make sure you get back by the "all aboard" time. Missing the ship is the chance you take when you do independent excursions. If you had been on a ship's excursion, they ship would have waited. Most people on this board would already be aware that they must be back at the ship by all aboard time or risk being left behind.

You always want to take ashore the info about the ship's shore agent.

Your expenses may have been covered if your trip insurance covers "missing the boat".

Better luck next time.

Every time a missing the boat thread comes up I wonder if the sales pitch for the line excursions is true. "If your tour is late we will wait for you"

Has anyone been late or been delayed due to a cruise line tour being late?

Archived