transfer from port to Rome airport-day excursion

melagali

Hi everybody. We are finishing our med. cruise on Navigator of The Seas on Sunday may 30th, 2010. We are staying at the Hilton airport and flying out the next day.

We are looking for an "affordable" day excursion to vatican and Rome with a pick up at the port in the morning and a drop off at the Hilton or airport at the end of the day.

Any suggestions?

Thank you

It's PIERRE - Lise's husband

We are in almost the exact same situation. We chose to have RomeinLimo pick us up, tour Rome, include a personal tour of the Vatican, and drop us off at the Airport Hilton for our next day flight home.

Not cheap, but we are seriously looking forward to the reported excellent service by R-i-L, particularly the personal tour, and the hopefully, total lack of worry about any portion of our day. "Affordable" is in the eye of the beholder. We are celebrating my wife's retirement and our 25th anniversary, so we are getting the whole production.

There are probably other services, perhaps cheaper, but with the same or similar result.

Hi everybody. We are finishing our med. cruise on Navigator of The Seas on Sunday may 30th, 2010. We are staying at the Hilton airport and flying out the next day.

We are looking for an "affordable" day excursion to vatican and Rome with a pick up at the port in the morning and a drop off at the Hilton or airport at the end of the day.

Any suggestions?

Thank you

It's PIERRE - Lise's husband

Grab the train from Civitavecchia to Rome Termini (probably worth buying a BIRG ticket which includes the Metro for the day as well), under €15. When you get to termini, check your luggage into the luggage storage area.

Wander around Rome. Find a fabulous cafe on a side street to have lunch dinner.

Then at the end of the day, take the train (and your luggage) from Termini to FCO Airport (The Leonardo Express), unfortunately not included w/ a BIRG ticket.

Total Cost transport and luggage; probably €35/ea

thanks for the info and the link to romeinlimo. Forgot to mention that we are spending 2 days in Rome (16-18 may) pre-cruise. We were thinking of visiting the vatican city on the 30th but now it seems that vatican "sightseeing" is limited on sundays.

Pierre

Pierre, the problem with visiting the Vatican Museums on the last Sunday of the month is that this is the free day (the only Sunday each month that the museums are open, and there is no entrance fee). They are even more crowded than usual on these Sundays and, although I have never personally experienced it, I've heard nothing but horror stories about it.

You can visit the basilica on Sundays, including the Treasury and the cupola. Perhaps you can break it up and see the museums at some point during your pre-cruise visit, then go to the basilica on the 30th.

Thank you all.

For now our plan is to transfer in the morning to the Hilton Airport Hotel drop of our luggage and then use their courtesy shuttle back to central Rome. I guess we will play this one by ear.

Regards

Pierre

Archived