"Signature Dessert" on NCL?

Hi, folks,

I enjoy following the 'boards' and thought I'd toss out something a little less serious and hopefully give everyone a chance to share a 'lighter' moment.

All of our most recent cruise experiences have been with Carnival, but we are booked on the Pride of America April 3, 2010. On Carnival, the "signature" dessert is the Warm Chocolate Melting Cake". Does the NCL menu have a similar "Signature" dessert ........ ? I am not really looking for something similar to the Warm Chocolate Melting cake, more curious if there is a 'universally accepted' "can't miss" dessert on the NCL menu plan. We are looking forward to our first NCL/ Freestyle experience, and looking forward to Hawaii, of course.

Aloha

Bon Voyage

Geaux Saints.

Hi There, it's me Mousey from the POA Roll Call for the 4/3 cruise. This will be our 4th cruise on NCL and I don't know of any "special" dessert that is a signature of NCL. I sure did enjoy that chocolate moulten cake on Carnival last year!:D See ya on the POA, I'll be looking for those Saints shirts!

Hi, folks,

I enjoy following the 'boards' and thought I'd toss out something a little less serious and hopefully give everyone a chance to share a 'lighter' moment.

All of our most recent cruise experiences have been with Carnival, but we are booked on the Pride of America April 3, 2010. On Carnival, the "signature" dessert is the Warm Chocolate Melting Cake". Does the NCL menu have a similar "Signature" dessert ........ ? I am not really looking for something similar to the Warm Chocolate Melting cake, more curious if there is a 'universally accepted' "can't miss" dessert on the NCL menu plan. We are looking forward to our first NCL/ Freestyle experience, and looking forward to Hawaii, of course.

Aloha

Bon Voyage

Geaux Saints.

The chocolate fondue in LeBistro!

Hi, folks,

Aloha

Bon Voyage

Geaux Saints.

Rolaids and an extra 30-minutes in the Gym. It is all wonderful!

Overall, I was slightly disappointed in desserts on Norwegian. Nothing really stood out. Cakes and pastries did not taste particularly moist or fresh.

I did have the chocolate fondue at Les Bistro. It was certainly good. But nothing earth shattering -- How could warm melted chocolate with fruit, possibly be bad? I enjoyed it, but not nearly enough to go far out of my way for it.

I was amused by the "fruit sashimi" offered as a dessert in the asian restaurants. Nothing but slices of mellon. Not intricately carved, no exotic fruits. Just slices of honeydew, canteloupe and watermelon.

I'm not saying the desserts were bad. I anjoyed apple pie ala mode. There was a strawberry soufle one night, that was tasty. But there were no desserts that really lingered in my memory as standing out as particularly special.

Based on my only NCL experience on the Gem, I have two recommendations:

1) In the evening the buffet had a crepes stations.

2) A banana desert at Cagneys, just can't remember the name of the desert, but if I remember correctly it was flambe and with a very good sauce. The best thing is that at home I can make almost the same type sauce our of brown sugar and orange juice.

I'm hoping that the Jade will have the crepes station in the evening buffet this month.

I love the soft-serve ice cream and hand-dipped ice creams, but their pull only goes so far when it comes to craving them when I'm not sailing.

One dessert that does linger in my memory, and has had me wishing I could have it again, is a dessert we had on the Pride of Hawaii in 2007. It was on the buffet. A beautiful, warm, very slightly on-the-too-sweet side, but was delicious all the same --- pineapple dessert. Hubby found it in a separate covered warming tray/cart standing next to the buffet. One taste of it and I was off to get my own serving. Would love to see this dessert again!

Aaahhhh, there it is (slapping myself upside the head)!!!!!, my favorite NCL dessert: pineapple. LOL, I always liked pineapple, but came to love it on that cruise. After that cruise I had:rolleyes: :D to buy fresh pineapple occasionally at home just to satisfy the craving and relive memories of having pineapple two to three times a day during that cruise and every NCL cruise since. Two+ years later I'm still eating fresh pineapple and running for it when on cruises...even when on Carnival cruises :eek: :p :D.

The first night in the MDR the only dessert I wanted they were out of?????? So, went without. Later walking around the ship we stumble upon Blue Lagoon that ends up having an EXCELLENT cheesecake (w/blueberry topping) and we have it a few times while on board. The other standout was a honey creme brulee. Carnival really touts the creme brulee but I was dissappointed in theirs, but not NCL's. It had a chocolate bottom layer and a crispy top layer and was spectacular. I called it "sugar heaven in a bowl" and it was offered in the MDR on our Feb. Spirit cruise.

Enjoy.

Aren't there made-to-order crepes? I missed these on our first cruise, but have heard about them since. Are they at the buffet?

I do remember in the buffet area, there were two chocolate fountains - one dark, one milk. There was fruit, cookies, pound cake, and possibly other things they would dip as you requested them.

Aren't there made-to-order crepes? I missed these on our first cruise, but have heard about them since. Are they at the buffet?

I do remember in the buffet area, there were two chocolate fountains - one dark, one milk. There was fruit, cookies, pound cake, and possibly other things they would dip as you requested them.

Made to order crepes were in the buffet every evening on the GEM in December and January....but the chocolate fountains were only out during the Chocoholic Buffet.

Made to order crepes were in the buffet every evening on the GEM in December and January....but the chocolate fountains were only out during the Chocoholic Buffet.

When I was on the Spirit last year, the chocoholics buffet was in Windows in the late evening. They had a chocolate fountain there. But there were chocolate fountains during the day I believe (maybe early evening, or the one night we ate in the buffet) but it wasn't in conjunction with the chocoholics buffet.

My favorite was the creme brulee. They ruined it by adding a chocolate ganache. ;-(

Very true! One night I had regular creme brulee (Le Bistro?) and the next the chocolate one in the MDR. I had to try just eating the top part before it got to the chocolate bit :)

Archived