Is late October too late?

joey73

I am looking at the Princess Greek Isles cruise that departs on Oct 27th... How is the weather in the Greek Isles that time of year. Cooler is good, lower crowds is good, bad weather is bad, and would be a deal breaker. Anyone gone that late in the year? We are becoming empty nesters in the Fall and want to do a Fall celebration cruise! We have always wanted to do the Greek Isles and this one looked like a good fit. We are not beach people, going mostly for the historic sites and great scenery.

Given that you're not looking for beach weather, late October is an excellent time to visit the Greek Isles. The weather in the Eastern Med is not as likely to be rainy as the Western Med at that time of year. However, if you are sailing into/out of Venice (I think that itinerary does one or the other), it could be cool and rainy there.

I am looking at the Princess Greek Isles cruise that departs on Oct 27th... How is the weather in the Greek Isles that time of year. Cooler is good, lower crowds is good, bad weather is bad, and would be a deal breaker. Anyone gone that late in the year? We are becoming empty nesters in the Fall and want to do a Fall celebration cruise! We have always wanted to do the Greek Isles and this one looked like a good fit. We are not beach people, going mostly for the historic sites and great scenery.

Since you are noting that you not "beach people", you have solved half of your problem/question. Are you doing the cruise departing Rome's port Oct. 29 and finishing in Venice? That would include stops in Naples/Capri, Santorini, Rhodes, Kusadasi (Ephesus), Mykonos, Athens (Piraeus), Katakolon (Olympia), Corfu and Dubrovnik? That a super good mix of stops and places, espcially for people who love history and great sites and sights.

It will be cooler there in late October and early November. BUT, the crowds will be more limited and there will be less groups, kids, etc. As an example for Nov. 4, when you are visiting Mykonos, last year on that date, they had scattered clouds with a high of 64 °F and a low of 57 °F. The average high is 63 °F with a record high on that day of 71 °F in 2003. The average low is 58 °F with the record low on that day being 39 °F (2006). Does that give you a little idea?

You can get added, date and location specific info from this website:

http://www.wunderground.com

Below are some visual samples for what you can enjoy on Mykonos, Ephesus and Athens. Lots to love there. I'd "GO FOR IT" based on what you have said about your background and interests. Being in and around the low 60's and upper 50's is fairly decent and manageable. Let us know any other questions.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

At Ephesus, here is the famed outdoor theater that hosted Saint Paul preaching, plus rock stars, etc. At this site in the 1st century AD, the Apostle Paul spent over three years in Ephesus preaching the Gospel. This included a sermon condemning pagan worship in this theater:

Amphitheatre.jpg

Looking downhill towards the library and other ruins from when Ephesus was Rome's capital of Asia Minor:

Outdoor theatre adjoining the Parthenon in Athens:

OutdoorTheatre.jpg

Outdoor dining in Athens' super charming Plaka. Lots of music and fun, plus good food:

PlakaDining.jpg

The famed four windmills overlooking Mykonos:

Mik4WindMill.jpg

Narrow flowered street in Mykonos with its many shops:

1A-Myk-FlowerStreet.jpg

Thank you so much for your quick responses! Yes, the cruise that I was looking at was the Princess cruise that departs Rome on 10/29 and finishes in Venice on 11/10. Another bonus is that it is considered "off peak" with American so you only need 40K miles a person for free airline tickets! Looking at the itinerary, it looks like the boat moves at night, and is in port almost every day (one sea day), so I am thinking no need to get a higher category room, an inside on a higher deck should be fine!

Your photos are lovely, definitely makes me want to see it for myself!

Thank you so much for your quick responses! Yes, the cruise that I was looking at was the Princess cruise that departs Rome on 10/29 and finishes in Venice on 11/10. Another bonus is that it is considered "off peak" with American so you only need 40K miles a person for free airline tickets! Looking at the itinerary, it looks like the boat moves at night, and is in port almost every day (one sea day), so I am thinking no need to get a higher category room, an inside on a higher deck should be fine!

Your photos are lovely, definitely makes me want to see it for myself!

THANKS for the nice comments on the pictures! YES, it's all there and much, much more. My view, is that you might want to consider an outside view, obstructed. For only a $100 more per person, you'll be able to see and know what's going on outside, the weather, etc. Many of the "obstructed view" rooms, if chosen well, are not really that blocked. Even if you are traveling at night, it's nice to see a little of what's going on outside when you wake up in the morning, while getting ready, relaxing, etc., in your room. You won't be in your rooms lots and lots. Those added "glances" are nice to have and not feel "lock in" or closed out. During this cooler period, a balcony probably is not worth it. That's a big jump up in price. BUT, being able to see outside can be a nice plus worth the small amount added. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

We left Rome on 10/17/08 in a downpour. It cleared up by the time we reached Civitavecchia and was absolutely beautiful for the next 11 days. The wind kept us from even reaching Mykonos, which the Captain said was not unusual at that time of year. We arrived in Venice on 10/28, again to pouring rain. It continued to rain off and on for the next two days and nights in Venice. When we left it was pouring and followed us to Paris, where we continued to have rain for two more days.

If I were to go again, I'd go two weeks earlier in October to try and miss some of the rain. Just our expeirence of course. Other years, it may be fine.

Our first cruise was late November. It was the last cruise for Brilliance before she headed over to the Caribbean. We began in Rome and ended in Barcelona (with Naples, Dubrovnik, Corfu, Livorno, Villefranche, Toulon) in between. We did not have one drop of rain the entire trip. Much cooler=perfect to sightsee in. No crowds, no traffic and no lines :D I would do this time of year again in a heartbeat. Altho we did out next one in early May (first European cruise for Solstice)

We love traveling off season. The experience is great and the prices are even better :rolleyes:

PS: You can have "bad" weather anytime......Mother Nature picks her itinerary on that !

PS: You can have "bad" weather anytime......Mother Nature picks her itinerary on that !

Agree 100% on the comment by our Texas poster. We've had good luck for weather during our various visits to twenty different countries in Europe. Don't be scared off by one person's bad experience one time. Europe is not like SE Asia and some other places in the world that have the rainy period or monsoon seasons.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Thanks again for all of your help! I went ahead and booked the cruise! I am sure that I will be back asking tons of questions on excursions in various ports. My last cruise was in 2006 and I am sure much has changed even in the last 4 years! I will try to find all that I can in previous threads, but it can be sometimes hard to find and I will apologize up front if I ask a question that has already been asked and answered! If you know specific threads that would help my search, please let me know!

Thanks again for all of your help! I went ahead and booked the cruise! I am sure that I will be back asking tons of questions on excursions in various ports. My last cruise was in 2006 and I am sure much has changed even in the last 4 years! I will try to find all that I can in previous threads, but it can be sometimes hard to find and I will apologize up front if I ask a question that has already been asked and answered! If you know specific threads that would help my search, please let me know!

I was booked on this cruise for June but had to cancel a few months ago. I had already done a lot of planning for each port. If you have an interest in doing some ports on your own without a ship tour (you really don't need one for a lot of these islands), I would be happy to email you my plans and links.

I was booked on this cruise for June but had to cancel a few months ago. I had already done a lot of planning for each port. If you have an interest in doing some ports on your own without a ship tour (you really don't need one for a lot of these islands), I would be happy to email you my plans and links.

Yes, I would love that! You can send me email at jlsaunders at gmail dot com.

Our first cruise was late November. It was the last cruise for Brilliance before she headed over to the Caribbean. We began in Rome and ended in Barcelona (with Naples, Dubrovnik, Corfu, Livorno, Villefranche, Toulon) in between. We did not have one drop of rain the entire trip. Much cooler=perfect to sightsee in. No crowds, no traffic and no lines :D I would do this time of year again in a heartbeat. Altho we did out next one in early May (first European cruise for Solstice)

We love traveling off season. The experience is great and the prices are even better :rolleyes:

We've cruised the Med over American Thanksgiving week (last week in November) the past three years -- and have had MARVELOUS weather each time. We did a Venice/Greek Isles/Croatia three years ago - Venice was a bit cool and we did encounter some limited issues with flooding on our return there -- the Greek and Croatian ports were all lovely. Two years ago we cruised out of Barcelona - to France, Tuscany, Rome, Napels, Sicily, et. -- again the further south we went the warmer the temps but on that trip it was just a bit chilly in Barcelona in the morning and evening and we had overcast skys in Florence, but otherwise perfect weather. Last year we cruised out of Rome to Messina, Greece, Turkey, and back to Italy (Naples) and back to Rome. Weather was exceptional -- everyone who sees my pics from Mykonos, Santorini, Rhodes, and Athens have said they have never seen skys SO blue. We had morning haze in Kusadasi, but I'll take a little morning haze with highs in the mid 70's to the August heat (temps into the 120s! :eek:)

We are also not "beach people". These ports have SO much to offer and to be the only people in some spots (Acopolis in Athens, Oia on Santorini, etc.) is priceless.

Weather is always a crap shoot -- crowds in the summer are givens.

Your experience with weather that time of year is very encouraging! It was 61 degrees here in Maryland yesterday and we all think it is a heat wave. I would be very happy with weather in the 60s, anything higher would be a bonus. I understand that it can rain anytime, so be prepared. If the crowds are lighter, I will be happy! If you have some favorite tours/to dos for the Greek Isles, please post or drop me a note.

While other posters are saying they had beautiful weather in November,

I still stick to my story, that we had rain, rain, rain in Venice and Paris.

And it isn't just me. There is even a name for it in Venice "Acqua Alta"

and it happens most years between September and April. The Winter months.

If you plan on visiting Venice, be prepared. It isn't fun walking/wading around the streets and getting soaked to the skin.

I for one would not go again that late in the fall. Here are some links telling about it

http://visit-venice-italy.com/acqua-alta-venice-italy.htm

http://www.italylogue.com/italian-news/venice-floods-hit-highest-levels-since-1986.html

http://www.italyheaven.co.uk/journals/venice-floods.html

While other posters are saying they had beautiful weather in November, I still stick to my story, that we had rain, rain, rain in Venice and Paris . . . l

OP was asking about Greek Isles -- further south and east of Venice or Paris.

OP was asking about Greek Isles -- further south and east of Venice or Paris.

I realize that, but some Princess cruises include both Italy and Greece.

I did the Grand Princess from Civitavecchia, Monte Carlo, Livorno, Naples, Santorini, Kusadasi, Mykonos, Athens, Katakolon, Corfu and ending in Venice.

A forewarning of what to expect is better than everyone saying the weather is going to beautiful.

Even in Venice, rain is not that likely. Check out the average rainfall for Venice for October:

http://weather.uk.msn.com/daily_averages.aspx?&wealocations=wc%3aITXX0085&weai=10&q=Venice%2c+ITA&setunit=F

The "average" amount of rain for any given day varies between 0.06 and 0.07 of an inch.

Of course, weather is unpredictable and anyone can get rained on. I just wouldn't want you to think that the raindrops are falling every moment in October. ;)

(P.S. Acqua Alta is not caused by rain but by the tidal conditions and prevailing winds of the winter months. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acqua_Alta)

Even in Venice, rain is not that likely. Check out the average rainfall for Venice for October:

http://weather.uk.msn.com/daily_averages.aspx?&wealocations=wc%3aITXX0085&weai=10&q=Venice%2c+ITA&setunit=F

The "average" amount of rain for any given day varies between 0.06 and 0.07 of an inch.

Of course, weather is unpredictable and anyone can get rained on. I just wouldn't want you to think that the raindrops are falling every moment in October. ;)

(P.S. Acqua Alta is not caused by rain but by the tidal conditions and prevailing winds of the winter months. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acqua_Alta)

This last statement is exactly my point. Sept-April (Winter months) are when the Acqua Alta occurs, we just happened to have it rain too the 3 days we were there. Lots of photos and info out on the Internet. This isn't just my experience.

Thanks for all of your info. I get it, it is more likely to rain in October than September, but it does not look particularly cold, or particulary rainy. Lighter crowds is a big plus, as is cooler weather.

Archived