Want a job with Princess?

JetJock_YHZ

Aloha Kakou,

While there is no doubt that people who work on cruise ships work very hard, for long stretches at a time, you have to remember something about the pay, that was just described as "peanuts". It may be peanuts to some, but remember, to many of the workers, who are coming from other countries, their pay translates VERY well into their home currency. All pay on ships is done in USD...I have many friends of mine from my years on ships who are now building their second, third, (and in once case fourth) homes back in their countries from the "peanuts" that they are paid. All while supporting family and sending money home all the time.

Dave

Elua

Elua

We were passengers on the 2009 Dawn Princess World Cruise - really enjoyed your music and hula lessons. Any chance you will be performing again on the 2011 World Cruise?

These folks are wealthy in their home countries and love the work. They stay on cruise ships for many many years because of the high pay and fight over getting these jobs. Most Westerners wouldn't work these hours but we're a spoiled compared to these third world countries.

These folks are wealthy in their home countries and love the work. They stay on cruise ships for many many years because of the high pay and fight over getting these jobs. Most Westerners wouldn't work these hours but we're a spoiled compared to these third world countries.

It's not that we're "spoiled", but rather the cost of living in North America is much higher than it is in many Asian countries.

Aloha Joll,

Mahalo for the compliment. We had a great time doing the world cruise, and wish we could have stayed a bit longer, but of course, Hawai'i calls each season. as of right now, we won't be on the world cruise 2011 on the Dawn. As much as we liked the world, with all the time changes, currency exchanges, and looooooooooooong flights to join, we thought we might just take it easy and just do Alaska for our summer contracts. Then again, in the cruise business, you never know anything is for sure 100%, so just check back in a year or so.

If you're going back, enjoy, and maybe we'll see you on a Hawai'i cruise sometime in the future.

Malama Pono,

Dave

Elua

They 'forgot' to add the part where the staff are worked 10-12 hour shifts, 7 days a week, right to the bone with peanuts in compensation.

DH and I often discuss this, and we have come to the conclusion that, although the hours worked are long, they are still in the range of what any working parent works these days. I know of no office workers anymore who work less than 10 hours a day, commuting, parenting, shopping and cleaning can add 6 to 10 hours a day to that. Weekends are spent doing all of the above, and frequently "job work" spills over onto the weekends too. There's not a lot on downtime.

This isn't to say that the crew doesn't work hard...they do. But we tend to hear 10 to 12 hours a day, 7 days a week. But their commute is 2 minutes, they have no cleaning, grocery shopping, childcare, yard work, snow shoveling, etc. They're busy, but no busier than a lot of people these days. I'm glad they're well paid...they deserve it, and they spend months at a time away from their families.

Very interesting. I am a teacher who is off during the summer. I am a musician and have often wondered about getting on a ship for the summer with my guitar and singing in one of the lounges, although I don't know if they do 2 month contracts. Something I may look into more seriously in the near future.

Freddie

Thanks for sharing the video -- it was fun to see the behind-the-scenes stuff.

One thing that struck me was how nice their quarters looked! I guess I always pictured crew rooms as looking like the quarters on Navy ship but these were actually not bad at all.

Archived