La Quinta FLL - Not Recommended

OntCruise

I don't think the CAA or AAA for that matter have anything to do with the quality of the hotels they represent. They offer the discount as a courtesy and marketing tool to their members. This may have been one of those "wrong place wrong time" scenarios. IMHO, of course:D

No, $154 for a La Quinta no matter what time of year is gross incompetence.

No, $154 for a La Quinta no matter what time of year is gross incompetence.

At peak season all hotels are expensive. And the OP hasn't explained what other problems they had. We're booked for 2 days there in October and I will gladly give you a heads up on the condition of the hotel.

At peak season all hotels are expensive. And the OP hasn't explained what other problems they had. We're booked for 2 days there in October and I will gladly give you a heads up on the condition of the hotel.

No, that is simply not true.

I spend a lot of time in South Florida. I am about to buy a condo in Broward County. I've been to just about every nook and cranny in Broward County and stayed in dozens of hotels there every month of the year.

$154 for any La Quinta is insane.

As one of my friends claims,

"La Quinta is Spanish for next to Denny's."

La Quinta is a notch above Motel 6 or Super 8 and a couple of steps down from a Drury Inn. If you want cheap, then La Quinta is your place.

I'll be in Ft Lauderdale from 8/29-9/7 just to hang out and look at a few more condos before I put in an offer. I'll be staying at the Spring Hill Suites FLL for $49 a night, so you don't have to pay too much for a decent hotel room if you pay attention.

No, that is simply not true.

I spend a lot of time in South Florida. I am about to buy a condo in Broward County. I've been to just about every nook and cranny in Broward County and stayed in dozens of hotels there every month of the year.

$154 for any La Quinta is insane.

As one of my friends claims,

"La Quinta is Spanish for next to Denny's."

La Quinta is a notch above Motel 6 or Super 8 and a couple of steps down from a Drury Inn. If you want cheap, then La Quinta is your place.

I'll be in Ft Lauderdale from 8/29-9/7 just to hang out and look at a few more condos before I put in an offer. I'll be staying at the Spring Hill Suites FLL for $49 a night, so you don't have to pay too much for a decent hotel room if you pay attention.

I stayed there once and the place was decent and clean. Maybe it will be worse next time. Unless I'm looknig at the wrong hotel or you have a discount, the price I saw was for $79 at Spring Hill.

Looks like you have a beef against La Quinta and I'll let you have your cake and eat it too. :D

I think you'll find that the same SHS will run you $199 for a weekend night in January.

The LQ FLL is priced like that because people are willing to pay the premium for free continental breakfast and shuttle service. I, on the other hand, for my last pre-cruise stay (in January), stayed at a perfectly acceptable LQ north of the port area for something like $70/night, and was able to rent a car with the money saved. To each their own.

I think you'll find that the same SHS will run you $199 for a weekend night in January.

The LQ FLL is priced like that because people are willing to pay the premium for free continental breakfast and shuttle service. I, on the other hand, for my last pre-cruise stay (in January), stayed at a perfectly acceptable LQ north of the port area for something like $70/night, and was able to rent a car with the money saved. To each their own.

So we agree then?

And even in January you don't have to pay that much.

I stayed there once and the place was decent and clean. Maybe it will be worse next time. Unless I'm looknig at the wrong hotel or you have a discount, the price I saw was for $79 at Spring Hill.

Looks like you have a beef against La Quinta and I'll let you have your cake and eat it too. :D

Why would you say I have a beef against La Quinta? I've stayed at La Quinta Inns from San Antonio, Texas to Columbia, Missouri. They are what they are and they aren't $154 a night properties. I think the OP now realizes that and that is the root of his dissatifaction. Had he paid $70 a night he most likely would not have had a beef against La Quinta.

In reality, La Quinta Inn itself was not the problem, what he paid for his room was.

As far as the $49 rate at Spring Hill Suites...Like I said, you have to pay attention. If you snooze, you lose...

http://www.travelzoo.com/hotels/florida/846689/

So we agree then?

And even in January you don't have to pay that much.

Would I ever pay $154/night for a LQ? No.

Do I think they should be charging that price for high season? If they can get it, more power to them.

I, on the other hand, just had one free weekend at a Staybridge Suites north of Boston on points earned from a total financial outlay of $15.50, and managed a stay the next weekend at the Marriott Custom House for 2 nights for a total out-of-pocket cost to me of about $60. If you know how to work the system (and when and how to complain when things don't go your way) , you can have some very cost-effective stays... :D

Would I ever pay $154/night for a LQ? No.

Do I think they should be charging that price for high season? If they can get it, more power to them.

I, on the other hand, just had one free weekend at a Staybridge Suites north of Boston on points earned from a total financial outlay of $15.50, and managed a stay the next weekend at the Marriott Custom House for 2 nights for a total out-of-pocket cost to me of about $60. If you know how to work the system (and when and how to complain when things don't go your way) , you can have some very cost-effective stays... :D

The $49 rate at the Spring Hill Suites is Sun-Thurs nights, so on Friday morning we'll check out and drive down to Key West where I will use my two free Hyatt nights I have. On Sunday we'll drive back to FLL and check back into the Spring Hill Suites for $49 again. That way I'll get credit for two stays on my Marriott account which will give me a full credit towards my Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards.

Another oddity was that if I had stayed for just one week from 8/31-9/7 the rental car rate from Advantage would have been over $400 with taxes and fees for a medium size car (since dropped to $232.40 with 5% discount code 3350), but if I picked the same car up on 8/29 and kept it for 9 days instead of 7 the total cost is only $199.61. Go figure.

If you like to travel a lot, you have to learn to work the system.

Which LQ did you stay at in January? I chose the one in Hollywood as we've stayed there before. I am renting a car as we'll be in Ft. Lauderdale 2 days pre-cruise. Do you have any suggestions for another hotel that won't break the bank?

Which LQ did you stay at in January? I chose the one in Hollywood as we've stayed there before. I am renting a car as we'll be in Ft. Lauderdale 2 days pre-cruise. Do you have any suggestions for another hotel that won't break the bank?

What dates will you be there?

We stayed at the Cypress Creek one. Were there 3 nights. Clear, fairly recently renovated rooms, and a sweetheart of a breakfast lady:). Good selection of restaurants in the area. We were very pleased with our choice.

For October 7-9, I'm getting a standard rate of $53.50, or $48.15 if you have AAA.

We're arriving October 7th and our cruise leaves on the 9th

It depends on whether you have a rental car, but there are a lot of choices...La Quinta 18 miles north of the port at I-95 and Hillsboro East for $55, La Quinta Ft Lauderdale Tamarac East for $37 (8-9 miles from the port), La Quinta Inn & Suites Sunrise Sawgrass Mills for $39 (about 11 miles from the port), Hampton Inn on W. Commercial in Tamarac (9-10 miles from the port), but close to Sawgrass Mills Mall for $75 to the usual properties near the port like Spring Hill Suites for $109, Hyatt Place South for $114, Hyatt Summerfield Suites-South for $119, Holiday Inn Express $111 and the aforementioned La Quinta Inn on 26th for $72. *

*Prices are subject to change without notice and do not include taxes or special discounts. There may be additional fees such as parking and internet charges that are not included in these prices. Music City is not affilated with any of these hotels and cannot be held liable for differences in prices.

It depends on whether you have a rental car, but there are a lot of choices...La Quinta 18 miles north of the port at I-95 and Hillsboro East for $55, La Quinta Ft Lauderdale Tamarac East for $37 (8-9 miles from the port), La Quinta Inn & Suites Sunrise Sawgrass Mills for $39 (about 11 miles from the port), Hampton Inn on W. Commercial in Tamarac (9-10 miles from the port), but close to Sawgrass Mills Mall for $75 to the usual properties near the port like Spring Hill Suites for $109, Hyatt Place South for $114, Hyatt Summerfield Suites-South for $119, Holiday Inn Express $111 and the aforementioned La Quinta Inn on 26th for $72. *

*Prices are subject to change without notice and do not include taxes or special discounts. There may be additional fees such as parking and internet charges that are not included in these prices. Music City is not affilated with any of these hotels and cannot be held liable for differences in prices.

Thanks. We will be renting a car as well.

Thanks. We will be renting a car as well.

It doesn't matter that much where you stay then. If you want to do some shopping at Sawgrass Mills Mall then the cheap La Quintas are good properties, especially at that price. Sunrise and Tamarac are nice areas, but they are 20 minutes or so west of the beach, port and airport, but it's an easy drive on I-595.

Up north in Deerfield Beach/Hillsboro area is close to the beach, piers and a very unique restaurnat I love going to, Cap's Place.

Lauderdale by the Sea (about 2 miles east and then south of Cypress Creek on Commercial Blvd.) is an incredible area with lots of shopping, mom & pop shops, dining, beach and pier.

In my opinion the smartest thing to do would be to get away from the area around the airport and port.

I just booked this motel and they do not have pickup from port back to motel. Does anyone know about how much the taxi will cost to get from port to motel. Are there plenty of taxis available when you depart ship? We are cruising Nov.15 this is the first time we have driven from kansas city.

I just booked this motel and they do not have pickup from port back to motel. Does anyone know about how much the taxi will cost to get from port to motel. Are there plenty of taxis available when you depart ship? We are cruising Nov.15 this is the first time we have driven from kansas city.

You have me a bit confused.

Are you saying you are driving from Kansas City to Ft. Lauderdale?

When you say "this motel" are you talking about the La Quinta Inn & Suites Ft Lauderdale Airport 2620 North 26th Ave., Hollywood, FL 33020?

If you are driving from KC were you leaving your car at the La Quinta while you are out on the cruise?

yes, sorry about confusing. We are seriously thinking about driving from kc.to fll. and then taking the long way home after the cruise. Yes, I am talking about the La Quenta on 26th we have a reservation there for 65.00 and will leave the car while on the Equinox.Just wondering ball park figure on taxi.

yes, sorry about confusing. We are seriously thinking about driving from kc.to fll. and then taking the long way home after the cruise. Yes, I am talking about the La Quenta on 26th we have a reservation there for 65.00 and will leave the car while on the Equinox.Just wondering ball park figure on taxi.

At a guess a taxi would be about $15, give or take a couple of dollars.

I'm not sure I would drive to and from KC when you can take Southwest non-stop to FLL for as low as $79 each way.

I would love to find those rates. The only rates we have found with SW is 272.00 pp. We are retired and like to see things along the way.

I think I'm losing my mind. I swear I saw $79 returns over Thanksgiving weekend, but they're gone now.

Anyway...You can get a $79 nonstop fare on Saturday 11/13 or an $89 nonstop fare on Sunday 11/14.

You would have to stay until Wednesday, 12/1 to get a $79 return.

Personally, I'd rather stay in Ft Lauderdale for 5 days after the cruise than drive over 3,000 miles roundtrip.

But then we can't eat Memphis b-b-que,see panama city beach before anything else happens there,and on the way home,see St.Augustine,Cumberland Island, savannah, charleston, beaufort s.c., and home through the Great Smoky mountains.Long trip.

But then we can't eat Memphis b-b-que,see panama city beach before anything else happens there,and on the way home,see St.Augustine,Cumberland Island, savannah, charleston, beaufort s.c., and home through the Great Smoky mountains.Long trip.

Overall Memphis barbeque is highly overrated, as is much of KC's barbecue (except for Oklahoma Joe's and Jack Stack), but the ribs and especially the "ambiance" of The Rendezvous is pretty good. If you could only visit one barbeque joint between Florida and Kansas City I would highly reccommend Big Bob Gibson Bar-B-Q in Decatur, Alabama. BUT...just east of Memphis off the beaten path of I-40 in the "quaint little town" of Mason, Tennessee is a place called Bozo's Hot Pit Bar-B-Q. Even if you don't want to eat their barbeque, their homemade pies are to die for.

http://www.wherethelocalseat.com/Memphis-Restaurants/Bozos-Hot-Pit-Bar-B-Q-Mason-TN-WebID-61927.aspx

Now I like mustard so I like mustard barbeque sauces and you will find plenty of it in South Carolina.

I spent a few days in St Augustine about 3 years ago and it was absolutely wonderful! It is without question a "quaint town."

Archived