La Quinta FLL - Not Recommended

OntCruise

We just returned from our cruise and stayed at the La Quinta in FLL (26th Ave) and I would really recommend you stay somewhere else. The reviews for this place were mixed, but I rarely pay much attention to negative reviews unless they are consistently bad. We paid $154 per night using CAA which was way too much for this place.

The GOOD: We only waited a few minutes for the airport shuttle which was nice. They also took us to dinner and offered to pick us back up, but we opted to walk back ourselves.

The BAD: The hotel itself is a bit tired looking. There is only one elevator and it took forever. The stairs were on the outside of the hotel? We booked two rooms - one room for myself and my husband and 14 year old son and the second for 4 girls (ages 17, 18, 19 & 20). I had requested (and confirmed) adjoining rooms but when we checked in they said they could only give us rooms directly across from each other. The rooms were just ok - very small double beds and weird bifold doors on the bathroom. The carpet was stained, mouldy caulking in the bathroom, the pipe to the shower head stuck way out, and the metal ring around it was hanging off. It was 2* at best. In our room we had absolutely NO hot water in the sink. We had to use the water from the tub? I called the front desk but they didn't do anything about it. About 10:30 pm the girls got a phone call from the front desk saying they had a noise complaint about them. They explained they were not making any noise but the desk clerk told them to keep it down? About 10 minutes later I heard knocking in the hall way and looked out the peep hole to see a FLL POLICEMAN standing at my kids room! Because I had told the girls not to answer the door for anyone, I went into the hall to talk to him. The policeman explained there had been another noise complaint about them. He was very nice and was almost apologetic because he said he heard NO noise while approaching the room or waiting outside the door before he knocked! After that we didn't sleep very well.

In the morning the lobby was chaos .. the breakfast area is way too small to accomodate that many people especially on the morning of a cruise. The evening before the front desk attendent told us that the shuttle would take us to the KMart on Sunday morning, but on Sunday morning the new front desk attendend said "sorry we don't do that". She also wouldn't do anything about the fact that we had no hot water in our room.

I would not recommend this place. It wasn't really close to any good shopping, it was tired and overpriced. If I had been lucky and got a $59 per night rate then I wouldn't care but I did pay a pretty high rate for what we got... but live and learn I guess!

We just returned from our cruise and stayed at the La Quinta in FLL (26th Ave) and I would really recommend you stay somewhere else. The reviews for this place were mixed, but I rarely pay much attention to negative reviews unless they are consistently bad. We paid $154 per night using CAA which was way too much for this place.

The GOOD: We only waited a few minutes for the airport shuttle which was nice. They also took us to dinner and offered to pick us back up, but we opted to walk back ourselves.

The BAD: The hotel itself is a bit tired looking. There is only one elevator and it took forever. The stairs were on the outside of the hotel? We booked two rooms - one room for myself and my husband and 14 year old son and the second for 4 girls (ages 17, 18, 19 & 20). I had requested (and confirmed) adjoining rooms but when we checked in they said they could only give us rooms directly across from each other. The rooms were just ok - very small double beds and weird bifold doors on the bathroom. The carpet was stained, mouldy caulking in the bathroom, the pipe to the shower head stuck way out, and the metal ring around it was hanging off. It was 2* at best. In our room we had absolutely NO hot water in the sink. We had to use the water from the tub? I called the front desk but they didn't do anything about it. About 10:30 pm the girls got a phone call from the front desk saying they had a noise complaint about them. They explained they were not making any noise but the desk clerk told them to keep it down? About 10 minutes later I heard knocking in the hall way and looked out the peep hole to see a FLL POLICEMAN standing at my kids room! Because I had told the girls not to answer the door for anyone, I went into the hall to talk to him. The policeman explained there had been another noise complaint about them. He was very nice and was almost apologetic because he said he heard NO noise while approaching the room or waiting outside the door before he knocked! After that we didn't sleep very well.

In the morning the lobby was chaos .. the breakfast area is way too small to accomodate that many people especially on the morning of a cruise. The evening before the front desk attendent told us that the shuttle would take us to the KMart on Sunday morning, but on Sunday morning the new front desk attendend said "sorry we don't do that". She also wouldn't do anything about the fact that we had no hot water in our room.

I would not recommend this place. It wasn't really close to any good shopping, it was tired and overpriced. If I had been lucky and got a $59 per night rate then I wouldn't care but I did pay a pretty high rate for what we got... but live and learn I guess!

This hotel must have really gone down hill since last year. We've stayed there numerous times and have been satisfied. Yes the elevator is slow, but none of the othr problems you stated. We always book a king-size bed. We drive to FLL so we leave our car there free for as long as 14 days so the rate is reasonable, sorry you had a bad experience.

We are staying there again in April, I'll post my opinion then. :) Just 32 more days! :D

Luv's Cruisin'

We've stayed there twice because we can leave our car parked there while we cruise for 28 days. Where else can you park for less? The room is not the greatest but for us the room is free.

There is a large shopping centre around the corner, a K mart, BJ (wine source but not before noon on Sundays).

If you drive the place is great.

• 4 months later...

We've also stayed there pre-cruise and have booked it again for our next cruise in October. I don't know when the OP was there but my price per day is at $65 US. We will be renting a car and the free parking comes in handy. Infinatic is right about the mall which is walking distance from the hotel. The hotel is a short drive from Hollywood beach. We found the room to be clean and didn't find any of the problems as stated by the OP. True about the breakfast area being crowded but chaotic???

We've stayed here a couple of times and are booked for the night before our next cruise. The price is reasonable, the rooms are clean, they have a shuttle from FLL to the hotel and from the hotel to the port. Unless they've really gone downhill, I can't imagine having a major problem :p.

It's nothing fancy, but all we want is a clean place to stay for one night :).

It's next to Oakwood Plaza (Google it!)

I'm also rather curious as to what type of room the OP rented for $154/night. Was that for the one room or for the whole booking? The most expensive room they have right now is $98 US with the AAA/CAA discount. Even with the current exchange rate, its still only $104.

We have also stayed at this location several times in the past and will again in Oct. It is close to shopping, dining,and even a theater, all with-in walking distance.

It does show wear and the breakfast area is crowded but that is to be expected due to the size of the lobby area.

There is also another elevator in the rear of the building, down the hall from the lobby. Not everyone is aware of this.

It is just what we need for a 1 night pre-cruise.

I'm also rather curious as to what type of room the OP rented for $154/night. Was that for the one room or for the whole booking? The most expensive room they have right now is $98 US with the AAA/CAA discount. Even with the current exchange rate, its still only $104.

The poster was there over peak season. You must compare like rates. An August rate is going to be half of what an Easter rate will be.

What is CAA and why on earth would anyone pay $154 for a La Quinta?

I would demand a refund of my membership for gross incompetence.

I don't think the CAA or AAA for that matter have anything to do with the quality of the hotels they represent. They offer the discount as a courtesy and marketing tool to their members. This may have been one of those "wrong place wrong time" scenarios. IMHO, of course:D

Archived