Hiking shoes v sneakers

R&D'sNona

I try to pack light : usually I get all clothing and footwear in one carry-on wherever I go (really!!) but we are checking our luggage for our cruise 3/20 in Hawaii on POA. I have already decided to pack comfortable athletic sneakers for most excursions, flip flops for the ship and pool, water shoes for lava beaches or snorkeling and one pair of all-purpose black sandals that work from dressy to casual, but we are also planning to do some hiking on Diamond Head, Road to Hana, VNP, Waimea Canyon and Haleakala. We have the clothing nailed down to the essentials, but the question is whether to bring real hiking shoes or leave them home. It's so tempting when you check luggage to take a "when it doubt, pack it" attitude when we have room - but I just hate to overpack.

My Merrill hiking shoes are fairly lightweight and only ankle-high but they are less flexible and have much sturdier soles than a sneaker. They give good traction and protect your feet on rocky surfaces; you hardly feel a thing. Any of you who have hiked around the islands, do you think they will be needed, especially on the volcanoes, or will the athletic shoes be enough?

All opinions are greatly appreciated.

It's just the best/easiest/safest way to travel. After two lost luggage episodes, well, it wasn't hard to decide. And isn't it amazing how much you really DON'T need?

We usually wear hiking boots on the flight and pack our running shoes (or whatever type is needed). Your Merrills will be fine for what where you are going, esp. at Volcano. Since their lightweight, but sturdy, you probably don't need the athletic sneaker.

Your vacation plans sound great. Have fun!

Noreen.

I've done a fair amount of hiking in the islands - Haleakala, Diamond Head, and many of the places you mentioned. I've worn anything from Teva's to hiking boots and did fine in whatever I had on. It's really a matter of comfort and personal choice - hiking boots are never a problem, but sturdy shoes or sandles will do just fine, even when hiking on lava. I tend to pack light and "suffer" the consequences.

I wouldn't even pack the hiking boots if you have good sneakers. The most important footwear will probably be a really good pair of flip flops/sandals that you can do a lot of walking in. jmo, but I hike Diamond Head in flip flops. Cherie

The only places I've hiked in Hawaii that I needed true hiking boots (high-top) is on the fresh lava flows to the ocean entries (which aren't happening now!) and the "rainforest hike to Pu'u O'o" as described in the Adventures section of the Big Island revealed book.

The latter is a muddy trail of the grandest kind, with many puddles to the ankle, tons and tons of slippery roots and slippier mud, and very uneven footing. The boots got drenched and gloppy, but I swear the trail was not passable with sandals or ordinary sneakers even with stout walking sticks.

Re the lava at the ocean entry, if you're just going to wander around for a few minutes on the pahoehoe it's no big deal. But when the active lava is a mile-plus from the end of the road it was VERY nice to have the real boots, especially at night. That lava can turn an ankle very easily. Yeah, I saw people out there with flip-flops, but for sheer comfort and no ill feelings the next day I was always glad to have the boots.

Everywhere else, Haleakala, Kalalau trail to the first beach, O'heo Gulch... I've just worn "hiking sneakers" or good walking sandals, normally the former. So unless you're very adventurous, I'd say you can forego the big clunky boots.

I am a shoe horse, we went early Feb and I only took my sneakers a pr of sandels (neutral) and a pr of flip flops, I ended up wearing my sneakers the most because of the walking we did...no need for hiking boots or much else

We did some minor hiking, but we didn't have regular hiking boots. be aware the they call it a hike to the top of Diamond Head, it is more of an uphill trail. You aren't climbing over boulders, walking planks over streams. It is a sort of gravel, dirt, steps etc. Except for the grade, it is fairly easy to do.

We also did a hike outside of Waikiki, to a supposed waterfall (which was mostly dried up after an hour of hiking), but we did enjoy the hike. this was more of a regular type hike, thru rainforests and a bit of climbing, but our all purpose sneakers were just fine. Just got a bit muddy.

Unless you are planning on doing some serious hiking, I would go for a good pair of sneakers.

Cheers

Len

When you're at Diamond Head, take note of the Japanese women heading to the top in skirts/high heels! I always get a big chuckle out of that!!! :)

We saw that in the Banff area as well as other places. It is a hoot!!!

We will not be taking any serious hikes, but would like to take several trails that lead to scenic spots. I was hoping to not bring hikers or big athletic shoes. I have read about people liking Keen and Teva sandals for Hawaii, saying those would work fine for these types of hikes. However, I have narrow feet. Does anyone know of any brands of these types of sandals run narrow in the women's sizes?

The only places I've hiked in Hawaii that I needed true hiking boots (high-top) is on the fresh lava flows to the ocean entries (which aren't happening now!) and the "rainforest hike to Pu'u O'o" as described in the Adventures section of the Big Island revealed book.

. .. . So unless you're very adventurous, I'd say you can forego the big clunky boots.

Thanks for the advice, everyone - and thanks AGAIN Sceptic for a helpful reply. My hiking shoes aren't high-tops, so I won't get any ankle protection, but they are good for rocky surfaces such as lava because of the thick, sturdy soles. My sneakers are summer weight, light and flexible. But based on everyone's advice, I think I'll stick with the sneakers.

To VBMom: I wore MBT sandals hiking the volcano in Santorini - they are very sturdy and have thick, elevated soles, but they are weird! I can't remember what shoes I wore hiking Etna, an active volcano in Sicily (and all my photos are waist-up so they are no help).

To Jenbo57, I hear ya! I remember hiking Buck Mountain in the Adirondacks, the last 1/2 hour was brutal, straight up. I was on all fours, panting, sweating and going r-e-a-l slow climbing what felt like a 90-degree rockface, and I turned around to see 2 teenage girls chatting a mile a minute as they overtook and passed me - wearing high heels. Hiking is so much easier if you're young and skinny.

Archived