'Dream' missed Roatan today 3/9/10

drsullivan

Think this is what it's like right now???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm0sIlNj4VE

That is just sooo not right!! I am so embarrassed for those people. What type of mentality are they showing?? arrrgh, they make me angry and I hope I NEVER come across a gathering like that on a ship that I am sailing!!!

When I first saw that video I said to myself that these losers were probably those who are chair hogs as well, so at least if they were pissing and moaning in the lobby I'd get a good chair near the pool or hot tub!!!:D

hehehehee, good point Alan!!

We almost missed St. Maarteen last week on the Dream because of 30 knot plus winds....It took two tugs and two passes to get into the pier......Dennis

I slept through all of that (perhaps ignorance is bliss, LOL). I understand that we came, at one point, within 8 feet of the Solstice -- if my source is correct.

Tom

I wish I could be on board to see how many people are screaming how this ruined their vacation, this was the cruise from hell and how they'd never sail Carnival again and that Carnival should be shut down.

Is it any consolation that you'll be on this board when they get back and come here to complain?

On that video - does anyone know what her demands were that prompted the cruise line to send her a letter. She must have been doing something crazy to get that letter sent to her. Did I also hear something about security stalking her? What is wrong with these people that they would allow missing a port to ruin their vacation.:cool:

Good points here on both sides. I wouldn't let a missed port ruin my cruise. Heck, in January 2006 on RCCL Sovereign, we missed BOTH scheduled ports due to high winds and had a 3-day cruise to nowhere!!

Having said that, I love the idea of seeing "docking percentages" reported, like airlines report "on time" percentages. Would love to see Carnival say "the Legend's western Caribbean itinerary made 92% of its scheduled port calls in the past 6 months."

Will never happen, of course. :)

Some people (my wife included) book cruises based on the ports, or on the number of ports included. She's not a big fan of the "sea days."

So, if our Carnival Legend cruise (leaving on Sunday!) misses one or more of our four ports, she'll be annoyed. I'll be less annoyed, but I do think Carnival and the Honduran government need to take a look at MB and see what needs to be improved.

At least the Legend has Coxen Hole as a backup plan, unlike the Dream!

We had nearly the identical speech on the Valor in early February about missing Mahogany Bay due to high winds. :D We were able to dock in Coxen Hole. Our plans went from free beach day to a pay resort island at Maya Cay. The manager there told us that ships are redirected or cancelled in Mahogany Bay alot due to high winds. She wasn't unhappy about the extra business, and we had a lovely time at Maya Cay. Highly recommended!

Do you remember what you paid in cab fares and entry fees to Maya Cay? Just wondering, as I'd like to have a "backup plan" in mind for our Roatan port call next week.

Do you remember what you paid in cab fares and entry fees to Maya Cay? Just wondering, as I'd like to have a "backup plan" in mind for our Roatan port call next week.

I'm not sure if I'm right, but I think they meant "Maya Key". If you're docking at Coxen Hole, there is a water taxi, I don't know about a cost though. It costs $30 per person to spend the day there. That's what we're doing while we're there. :)

We missed Grand Cayman one cruise. We were bummed because we really wanted to see the island, but that just gave us another reason to take the cruise again!!!!

We've missed Grand Cayman 4 times. we are giving it one more chance on the Legend in August and if we miss it again, I give up!

I'm not sure if I'm right' date=' but I think they meant "Maya Key". If you're docking at Coxen Hole, there is a water taxi, I don't know about a cost though. It costs $30 per person to spend the day there. That's what we're doing while we're there. :)[/quote']

It is Cay but it is pronounced Key. I don't understand why that is though!

I slept through all of that (perhaps ignorance is bliss, LOL). I understand that we came, at one point, within 8 feet of the Solstice -- if my source is correct.

Tom

I was wathing from our cabin on the Tv and we never were very close to the Solstice toss our the ropes on the first pass....I was up on deck to watch them do the second pass and I don't think we were that close then either, but I was at the aft......:)...Dennis

We went to the Maya Cay kiosk right on the pier. We paid $60 for the three of us. They wanted $30pp. We said no way and started to walk. They agreed to $25pp for the two adults and $10 for our DS who was 6 at the time. I don't know if that was the best we could have done, but we were happy with it. Hector's Mom is right, there is no additional fare for the water taxi. It is included. Their water taxi is within a 2-3 city block walk and they escourted us to it. The island was beautiful. We had a great day and didn't regret missing Mahogany Bay at all! Food total was $27 for 3 entrees plus 4 drinks (non-alcoholic).

Wow, no kidding - not even an OBC? Hmmmm - Carnival needs to be listening to us here on the forums.

I know, personally, we are most excited about going to Roatan on our sailing in May and will not be happy if they miss it. Of course I'll get over it quickly, but still, Carnival SHOULD at least be giving us OBC when this happens.

just my 2 cents.

What a small world. This is brantel (Teresa) from our May 15 Roll Call.....ROFL.

I would also be VERY disappointed if this happens to us. I booked with Victor Bodden MONTHS ago and this is the port that I am most looking forward to the most.

I am on here trying to find more info on Belize. Someone (no names mentioned.....lol) has me a little concerned about this port.

Talk to you soon.

Teresa.

What a small world. This is brantel (Teresa) from our May 15 Roll Call.....ROFL.

I would also be VERY disappointed if this happens to us. I booked with Victor Bodden MONTHS ago and this is the port that I am most looking forward to the most.

I am on here trying to find more info on Belize. Someone (no names mentioned.....lol) has me a little concerned about this port.

Talk to you soon.

Teresa.

Don't let the wet blankets scare you off of ports! These ports are nice, fun, exotic, and no more dangerous than most US cities. Can you imagine if a cruiser from Europe docked in NYC and decided to google "crime in New York City"? They would stay in their room crying in the fetal position!

Sure, there are bad parts to every county. I have traveled though all of these central american countries, there are great parts and rough parts. Cruise ports are very safe, clean, and pleasant. Most of these countries relay heavily on the tourist industry and the last thing they want is for people to have any problems while in port. I know some people get scared and decide to stay on the ship at some ports, which is fine if it's uncomfortable to them. But if you have the chance to check out a new country you have never been to, shouldn't you give it a shot?

We've been to Belize on cruise ships a couple of times, my suggestion is get a tour that does snorkeling and then hits some of the bay island. GREAT snorkeling on the second biggest barrier reef in the world, not to be missed!:)

I am too. We've been to Roatan twice (I love it!!). I wasn't aware that was one of the ports that was often missed because of seas/winds.

Actually, that isn't funny. It happens quite often, unfortunately.

Actually, if you look at my posting you will see "That is funny as hell" was in reference to posting #14 from EMBFlyer and NOT your post. I would NEVER think missing a port is funny...

Oh my!! I just watched that video and I am utterly embarrassed for the people in it.

We are going on our first cruise in November and if we were to miss a port, I probably would be disappointed but I would never act like that...I would just look at it as an excuse to take another cruise!

Don't let the wet blankets scare you off of ports! These ports are nice, fun, exotic, and no more dangerous than most US cities. Can you imagine if a cruiser from Europe docked in NYC and decided to google "crime in New York City"? They would stay in their room crying in the fetal position!

Sure, there are bad parts to every county. I have traveled though all of these central american countries, there are great parts and rough parts. Cruise ports are very safe, clean, and pleasant. Most of these countries relay heavily on the tourist industry and the last thing they want is for people to have any problems while in port. I know some people get scared and decide to stay on the ship at some ports, which is fine if it's uncomfortable to them. But if you have the chance to check out a new country you have never been to, shouldn't you give it a shot?

We've been to Belize on cruise ships a couple of times, my suggestion is get a tour that does snorkeling and then hits some of the bay island. GREAT snorkeling on the second biggest barrier reef in the world, not to be missed!:)

We just did Belize, Isla Roatan, and Grand Cayman in December. Belize was the least exciting, partly because it was raining most of the day and the city didn't look like much. We felt very safe, though. Isla Roatan was the best part--beautiful water and great beach--just watch for beach vendors--they drove us nuts. we learned after we watched for a while that if there are kids selling on the beach and you call the cops, they all clear right out.

If we miss that port (or any ports) while sailing the Legend in December, I'm guessing DH will be disappointed for about 10 seconds...then he'll say "Let's go be romantic in the cabin!" :D :rolleyes:

In our case it would be, "Shucks, lets go eat something and then sit by the pool and sulk.":D

Archived