CNBC Documentary Featuring Pearl

Warmer Climes

I've seen it before and after my cruise on the Pearl. Now I know why I was approached to buy drinks so often on the pool deck.

They made some money from us, since I purchased Tee shirts. We also did some ships tours.

We were aboard for the 14 night Panama Canal cruise. I wonder what their profits were for that trip.

Barb

:o

Sorry to be so far behind the curve! I did wonder how long ago they filmed it because the free champagne at embarkation is gone.

There were a lot of things that were news to me even after four NCL cruises and I was interested to hear the opinions of the cruise industry from the tourism reps in Roatan and Belize.

I would be interested to know what percentage of shore excursions are ship vs private operator. I very rarely do a ship excursion now, although I did when I was new to cruising.

Barb

My wife and I were actually on the pearl when they were filming this. I think it was Oct 2008. Sadly they didnt pick us to interview. But we did get on screen a few times during the part about the art auctions and at some other event.

They were doing the interviews in the star bar, we were in there a few times while it was going on.

Saw it last night for the first time. As mentioned it did answer a lot of questions for me about the business aspect of cruising.

One thing I found interesting the liquor/beverage guy, saying they need passengers to spend at least $8 a person on drinks per day, for them to make a profit. Thats $56 on a 7day cruise. The nickle and dime way they break down the cruise (i.e excursion, shops, drinks etc.) seems to muddle up the way they see profits. Just my opinion.

Archived