Name That Ship #2

tahqa

Hi Everyone! It seemed like people enjoyed my little guessing game last week and I actually learned some things that I didn't know before. So I figured I'd give it a try again and see how it goes. :)

Anyone think they know this ship?

26721_1380426748175_1157109459_31122257_5106933_n.jpg

This picture is from somewhere in the mid-80's and I don't know where it was taken. It's a scan from a book I have, so please excuse the scanner glare along the right edge. :cool:

Cheers!

Hi Everyone! It seemed like people enjoyed my little guessing game last week and I actually learned some things that I didn't know before. So I figured I'd give it a try again and see how it goes. :)

Anyone think they know this ship?

26721_1380426748175_1157109459_31122257_5106933_n.jpg

This picture is from somewhere in the mid-80's and I don't know where it was taken. It's a scan from a book I have, so please excuse the scanner glare along the right edge. :cool:

Cheers!

Ocho Rios, Jamaica.:)

Wow, that didn't take too long! I guess it was too easy! :D Yup, Song of America is right. And here she is as the Thomson Destiny in St Maarten last year. The interesting thing is that I took this picture from the Adventure of the Seas and Song of America was the first command of the Adventure's Captain (ummm... Captain Per Kjonso?). He was quite fond of that little ship. :)

26721_1380426708174_1157109459_31122256_3963491_n.jpg

We know RCI ships well. If you want to be challenging, you have to show non-RCI ships. ;)

I might branch out into non-RCI ships.... maybe some Celebrity ships or some Disney ships. I love the Disney ships, they have such a classic ocean liner beauty to them. :)

Oh yeah! Song of America. That was our first cruise in 1985 and it was our honeymoon. I hit golf balls off the back of the ship and my husband shot skeet! We'll be celebrating our 25th anniversary this summer on board the Serenade of the Seas. :)

Oh yeah! Song of America. That was our first cruise in 1985 and it was our honeymoon. I hit golf balls off the back of the ship and my husband shot skeet! We'll be celebrating our 25th anniversary this summer on board the Serenade of the Seas. :)

Congratulations on your upcoming anniversary and cruise! :)

Nothing against our present day aft cabin residents but there was something magical about those open deck areas on the back of the earlier RCI ships.

They were available for use by everyone and were great open-air places to do morning stretching and aerobics, skeet shoot, golf ball driving,

shuffleboard, horseracing etc.

Of course the ship puts that extra revenue first now.

Song of America was out first cruise in Oct. of 1986... We thought she was HUGE...She was a beautiful ship and you really felt like you were on a ship... I especially remember all the woodwork...The size of the cabins...(really small) and the sound of the toilets flushing.. but it was a wonderful trip and got us hooked..

Nothing against our present day aft cabin residents but there was something magical about those open deck areas on the back of the earlier RCI ships.

They were available for use by everyone and were great open-air places to do morning stretching and aerobics, skeet shoot, golf ball driving,

shuffleboard, horseracing etc.

Of course the ship puts that extra revenue first now.

I hear ya. You can still find nice aft outdoor areas like that now. Carnival's Spirit Class ships have them. Obviously it's not the main pool / focal point of the activity but it's still a nice space.

We first cruised on RC in 1992 on Sun Viking. A few years later Song of America was in LA doing the MR cruises. DW and I were down at Ports of Call and saw her at the dock. We never sailed on her though.:(

Man, that ship was huge compared to Sun Viking!!!

Archived