Pacific Magic - on pacific jewel 10 nights (what to see?)

Wildence

Hey guys

first time cruising and very excited!

just bought out tickets - FF deck 6.

We will be going to Noumea, Vila, Wala and Ouvea - any tips? what to see / what to do? when to buy tours? where will be cheaper for us to duty free shop?

Also just wondering what is the average price of cocktails / beers on PO ships?

is cruising really that awesome? what to do and what not to do? and anything important we must know?

thanks in advance guys!

Cheers

Duty free - without doubt go to Fung Kuei in Vila, particularly for alcohol. The range and prices are incredible. If you want perfume, it is probably best to buy this on the ship. If you want other goodies (camera etc.) I would buy at home and claim your 10% refund under the Traveller Refund Scheme by buying in the 30 days immediately before your cruise. You will probably get a better price at home than overseas, and you will have a valid warranty.

Tours -

Noumea - buy a tour in the terminal on the dock. There are a few on offer. Get off the ship reasonably promptly and book your tour straight away. There are some that go into the countryside on a 2 hour tour. Great.

Vila - go by taxi for a sightseeing trip and maybe to the Cascades. You should pay around AUD$20-$30 per hour for the whole taxi, not pp.

Wala & Ouvea - Do your own thing.

cool thanks a lot Aus Traveler

In terms of weather... we will be taking this cruise in July this year. is it a good time to go there then?

we heard that there is a geyser in the lake in one of the islands, will it be possible for us to see it?

cool thanks a lot Aus Traveler

In terms of weather... we will be taking this cruise in July this year. is it a good time to go there then?

we heard that there is a geyser in the lake in one of the islands, will it be possible for us to see it?

It is a good time of year to go to the islands, but no-one can guarantee how the weather will be. I don't know where you live. If you are from northern Australia you might find the water a bit cool for much swimming, but if you are from the southern States you will be right at home. You will be cruising in the latitude of Rockhamton to a bit north ofTownsville so the temperature should be similar to those areas in July.

I haven't heard about a geyser and I'm dubious about it. Maybe someone was thinking about the boiling water in the hot springs at Savusavu (Fiji).

Welcome to CC, Wildence. Just check if you will be going to Ouvea or Lifou. Schedules have had to be changed since almost this time a year ago, because of 'civil unrest' in Ouvea.

Yes, cruising is THAT awesome - very addictive. :rolleyes:

Welcome to CC, Wildence. Just check if you will be going to Ouvea or Lifou. Schedules have had to be changed since almost this time a year ago, because of 'civil unrest' in Ouvea.

Yes, cruising is THAT awesome - very addictive. :rolleyes:

yes we will be visiting Ouvea :)

yes we will be visiting Ouvea :)

Hi,

As Sandy says, cruises haven't called at Ouvea for nearly 12 months. We're scheduled to go there in December on Pacific Dawn but have been warned it will most likely be switched to Lifou instead.

And that's fine - Lifou is also a loveley port of call.

don't mind to be honest.. i think it will be pretty much the same :)

i am surprised tho that P&O website is not updated with this info...

Haven't been to Ouvea yet, so can't say - but from what others have said, I believe they are very similar.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey all

Just checked our Cruise Personaliser and it is updated now.. or partially...

looks like you were all right, and we are going to Lifou instead of Ouvea (oh well)

What should we do in Ouvea, any suggestions? also for some reason i can only see 3 stops.. and i believe it should be 4 all together: Noumea, Lifou, Vila and Wala. but i can only see 3, does not include Wala...

i am also just wondering, if the ship is to depart at 5pm.. when do we need to be back from the shore tours?

in Noumea - can we just walk around, or is it better to pay for the tours on the dock?

Thanks!

i am also just wondering, if the ship is to depart at 5pm.. when do we need to be back from the shore tours?

in Noumea - can we just walk around, or is it better to pay for the tours on the dock?

Thanks!

Usually 30 minutes before sailing is the deadline, but it is wise to aim for an hour before sailaway. There will be a sign at the disembarkation door with the boarding time shown. Go by that, not what is shown as sailaway time.

Noumea - I suggest you book a sightseeing tour in the terminal on the dock and then walk around to Coconut Square, maybe the cathedral, have a look at the shops and do mental gymnastics converting the prices. If you arrive in the morning you can go to the markets. They close at 11am.

Hey all

Just checked our Cruise Personaliser and it is updated now.. or partially...

looks like you were all right, and we are going to Lifou instead of Ouvea (oh well)

What should we do in Ouvea, any suggestions? also for some reason i can only see 3 stops.. and i believe it should be 4 all together: Noumea, Lifou, Vila and Wala. but i can only see 3, does not include Wala...

Since you said it looks like you're not going to Ouvea, I guess you meant to ask what's to do at Lifou?

1) Walk up the hill to the Church for wonderful views

2) any of the shore tours are good. We did a tour that went to the Cliffs of Jokin (and climbed down the 100+ steps down to the water) and visited a vanilla bean plantation.

3) if snorkelling is your thing, take the short (5 min) walk across to Junik Bay and snorkel there.

4) Just relax on the beach if that's what you like.

This is just a selection. There's lots to do there.

There aren't any shore tours at Wala, you just do your own thing. That would be the reason it doesn't show up on the list of ports of call.

There aren't any shore tours at Wala, you just do your own thing. That would be the reason it doesn't show up on the list of ports of call.

All ports/ stops show up on the program, irrespective of shore tours.

They all do show up in the cruise brochure, but I think Wildence was talking about the cruise personaliser. I had the idea that only ports with shore tours show up there. :)

Would have thought cruise personaliser would be same as brochure.

Hey all

Thanks for your replies! now we know what we will be seeing! Yay so excited! :)

Just checked Cruise Personaliser, i can see only 3 ports under ShoreEx Ports - but as Aus Traveller said that Wala does not have any shore tours, so that's cool fair enough.

We are planning to get some alcholol as well on our way back. where is the better place to get it - Port Vila or on board of the ship?

Cheers guys!

Just checked Cruise Personaliser, i can see only 3 ports under ShoreEx Ports - but as Aus Traveller said that Wala does not have any shore tours, so that's cool fair enough.

We are planning to get some alcholol as well on our way back. where is the better place to get it - Port Vila or on board of the ship?

Cheers guys!

Port Vila. Go to Fung Kuei (the pale yellow two storey building on the left at the far end of the main street). Look for the shop full of cruise ship passengers. :) The range of alcohol and prices are amazing.

Have done the same itinerary in 2008 and will be doing the same in August.

I just hope that Ouvea is back on the schedule by then.

The easiest thing to do is to join the rollcall and compare notes about the best places. Everyone has their favourites (especially in Vila) but Feng Kwei is a must not miss :)

does anyone know if Jewel also offers different fitness classes - e.g. step, pump?

On the P & O cruises I have been on (only one on the Jewel) there were some classes, but I don't think they have the syndicated classes that are usually offered in local gyms (step, pump, body balance etc). There are a couple of fitness trainers who offer personal training but this is very expensive compared with land-based trainers. There is a good range of fitness equipment, but you might have to pick your times to find one free. We usually haven't had much difficulty, but sometimes have had to wait 10 minutes for a machine.

Archived