Thoughts about tipping the room steward during the cruise

heisnuts

I was looking for thoughts/experiences on tipping the room steward during the cruise. I am not talking about the auto tip (which we always leave on), rather I was thinking one might get a little better service if the steward knew you were going to be tipping ahead of time rather than waiting for the end of the cruise. Also, for those of you who have tipped during the cruise, how much was the tip and what was the circumstance when giving the tip?

The room stewards have always given us exemplary service. We have never tipped beforehand, but always at the end of the cruise (leaving the autotips in place.) We're pretty low maintenance, so $20 for each steward (there are usually 2) is what we've tipped. Sometimes $30.

There was some debate on these boards not too long ago that centered on whether or not the room stewards were able to keep cash tips for themselves, or if the cash had to be shared. Opinions seemed to vary widely on the issue.

Therefore, I always prefer giving the room steward a few of those international-phone-cards.

we never pre-trip and have always had service from very good to fantastic - we have always given tips over the auto-tip because the service has warranted it.

One thing that helps is we usually let the steward know from the start what we are expecting. For example, I like the conditioner, but need two packs per day - so I ask for it. We like having fruit and ask the steward to make sure we have it. On all but one cruise, this has not been a problem. On that cruise, the steward said you have to fill out the form daily. I'm guessing on the other cruises, the steward filled it out him/her self.

Typically, we fill out excellent service cards mid-way through the cruise for any deserving staff.

We do not tip the cabin steward until the last day of the cruise. We find that a friendly handshake and smile upon our initial meeting, engaging him in conversation when possible, asking about his homeland and his family, always remembering to say "please and "thank you" for his services, and being genuine in doing so, always results in us receiving excellent service throughout our cruise.

On the last evening, we will tip him, (usually very generously), and thank him for the many considerations he has given us to make our experience that much more enjoyable.

I was looking for thoughts/experiences on tipping the room steward during the cruise. I am not talking about the auto tip (which we always leave on), rather I was thinking one might get a little better service if the steward knew you were going to be tipping ahead of time rather than waiting for the end of the cruise. Also, for those of you who have tipped during the cruise, how much was the tip and what was the circumstance when giving the tip?
I've never pre-tipped and almost always, have received good/excellent service. Pre-tipping shouldn't have any effect on whether or not you receive good/excellent service; heck, if you pre-tip, you'll never know, will you?

Usually, on our second day when we see our steward we slip them a $10 and tell them how happy we are with their service. We have always had fantastic service and because so, we have given them even more than requested at the end of the cruise. I don't know if it really makes a difference tipping them, but I just want to do it as a kind jesture.

I haven't cruised with PC yet- going jan 2011& really looking foward to it but on my 1st cruise (NCL) we paid the gratuities up-front but still tipped when we felt it was appropriate.

"Our waiters"( Michael & Rexie) in the bar/coffee shop - usually tipped about $5-£10 each every other day.

But I must add- the service was fantastic even before we started tipping-just had to catch their eye and they were bringing another tea/coffee/ beer/cocktail- whatever without having to ask)

*day10-mum wasn't felling too great & stayed in & one of them (still not sure which)-send tea & toast to the cabin to help ease her nausea -without being asked!

At the theatre-we tipped the waiter bringing our cocktails $5 every 2nd/3rd day- never had to ask he always remembered what we wanted but suggested others we might like- he was usually right.

Our room stewards- we tipped at the end of the cruise only. The service was outstanding - so we tipped "Baggie" $100 & his assistant $50.

I too,was concerned about the culture of tipping before our cruise but to be honest the service we received was accross the board- everyone was offered the same standard.whether tipping or not. Even if the cruise line was paying the staff double the salary they currently receive I would have no hesitation in tipping the same amounts. The crew were amazing and made our trip. They remember your name/what you like/dislike and even who you have become friends with.

If Princess can match the standard we received on NCL - I have no problem with tipping over and above.

But before anyone thinks we are "well off" and can afford to "tip"just for the sake of it- the answer is no. I work all year and save really hard for our trips but I really appreciate the care and attention lavished on us by the crew we have be lucky enough to encountered so far.

Elaine

I haven't cruised with PC yet- going jan 2011& really looking foward to it but on my 1st cruise (NCL) we paid the gratuities up-front but still tipped when we felt it was appropriate.
Not sure how it works on NCL but Princess has a "hotel services" charge (aka "auto-tip") that is automatically added to your onboard account every night. It's $10.50/pp for an inside, oceanview and balcony cabin, $11/pp for a mini-suite or full suite. If you remove the auto-tip, which you can, and tip individually, that amount goes right into the tipping pool and the person you've tipped isn't allowed to keep it. So you haven't accomplished a thing by tipping individually. The auto-tip includes your cabin steward and all dining staff, both in the buffet and dining room. If you purchase a soda or a drink, a 15% tip is automatically added to the bill. You do not have the option to remove that.

We always give the room attendant something at the beginning. This time he seemed surprised when we handed him $20. During the cruise I asked him if he received a personal tip from us if he was able to keep the money...he indicated if that is what we wanted. I am not sure if he understood what I was asking.

On our second to last night we gave him a large tip as he was the only one deserving an additional tip.

All I keep thinking about when I tip the room steward extra -- he is cleaning my toilet daily and wish someone would tip me for cleaning toilets.

Just tip at the end....you should get great service no matter what! If the service is better than you expected, give more of a tip. If it's waaay less than expected, you can cut the tip...if it's "just right", then the recommended tip amount is "just right", too.

There is NO NEED to tip in advance. They aren't expecting it, and they may think that's all they're getting! OR, that it's a "bribe", and then they'll think you're a total jerk for the remainder of the cruise!

Just follow the tipping protocol...tip at the end, based on the service you receive.

On our recent 2 week cruise, we switched rooms at the end of the first week. The steward for our first week was brand new on the job, and after a couple of days of bad service (all we want is the bed made once a day, clean towels daily, and ice in the room when we return late afternoon--give us that, and we're happy campers. We don't make a mess, and aren't high maintenance.), we thought a little tip might prod the steward toward a better memory as far as having ice for us. After all, honey works better than vinegar, right? WRONG in this instance. I do hope that person improves quickly, or she won't make it through her contract.

Week 2...we were so impressed with day 1 service that we tipped extra right then (that way we aren't worried all week about saving cash for the extra tip).

The extra cash didn't improve week one's service, and giving it early in week 2 didn't cause that service to deteriorate.

I have only tried the pre-tipping once. And I have to tell you, that cruise we had the worst service from our room steward of all our Princess cruises. Now, we tip at the end of the voyage.

Our experience as well, although it was our first Princess cruise. While we do have a request or two (e.g., ice twice a day), nothing out of the ordinary. But this one couldn't seem to get us pool towels, even when we tossed the old ones on the bathroom floor before heading out to dinner.

The only time we have tipped during the cruise is when my son was sick. The room steward brought him clean sheets several times a day, fresh ice, and cleaned the room around sleep time. I also read on a Disney board that some of their favorite tips have been small items like small candy bars, t-shirts from your home town and family pictures. :)

We have never pre-tipped but did tip the steward half way through one cruise as the service was so good. We also intended to tip again on the last day. However from that point onwards the service went downhill quite significantly as though the steward had achieved his aim and done his job.

Never again.

Hmmmm... Maybe i am going about this all wrong! Soon as i first see my stewart i give him 10.00 and tell him to please be sure i get an egg crate on my bed, a top sheet to go with the comforter and fruit in the daytime. I usually have all i request by the evening but my brother who does not ask for anything and does not tip till the next day (and every day thereafter) has much better service than i. (i will tip 5.00 every other day). So maybe i should just ask for what i need and not tip at all till end??

Hmmmm... Maybe i am going about this all wrong! Soon as i first see my stewart i give him 10.00 and tell him to please be sure i get an egg crate on my bed, a top sheet to go with the comforter and fruit in the daytime. I usually have all i request by the evening but my brother who does not ask for anything and does not tip till the next day (and every day thereafter) has much better service than i. (i will tip 5.00 every other day). So maybe i should just ask for what i need and not tip at all till end??
Right. Leave the auto-tip on and tip extra at the end if you've received excellent (above what you expected) service. If you tip during the cruise, including right after boarding, they don't get to keep the tip. They must turn it in to their supervisor who keeps track and if you haven't removed the auto-tip, they get it back. Otherwise, it goes into the tipping pool. Pre-tipping or tipping during the cruise doesn't accomplish a thing unless you've kept the auto-tip on.

Archived