Trouble on Navigator

We are diamond members. This weekis the first leg of a back to back on the Navigator. Had a really good first week. Spring break is something else. We have cruised in March before, but this was our first spring break experience on RCCL. The kids were loud, which was fine, but a group of boys and girls language skills need much work. The party continued until the Thursday night party. We had a really bad accident early Friday morning. Around 3:30 AM a bunch of kids were hitting a beach ball around the solariam, adult pool, the beach ball hit in the empty pool, which had a net over it. A 23 year old jumped on to the net to retreive the beach ball and hit the bottom of pool. When I got up around 7 and went out on balcony I noticed we were really close to a port. I went up so pool deck to get us a chair and started hearing stories. We deverted back to cosmuel for an emargency evacuation. They had the entire area sealed off with crime tape, a stokes basket with blood on head piece and the lonesome beach ball still in empty pool. Came down to tell my wife, when a large tender with a medical staff pull up under our balcony and we watch coldly as his two room mates with all their clothes got on the tender to a wait their friend. About 30 minutes later they loaded him. Severe head injury with my bionuculars I could see he had racooned eyes and entire head was swollen & was completely immolized. Later the capt came over speaker and without telling exactly what happened, told us he was in extreme critical condition and because of having to divert our course, we would be arriving late in miami by at least an hour. Our prayers our with the family of this young man. I can't beleive the call they revived. You raise your family, send them to school, then college and they go on a spring break an have something like this happen. I am not sure exactly what happened, but all pools were drained and the net was across all of them. I am RCCL is doing all possible to assist this family. I just wanted to let everyone know. This is my first post, but I love this board. Jim

IMG_0290.JPG

This is a sad story, but it is also remarkably similiar, in fact nearly identical to the story of what happenend on the Freedom of the Seas yesterday. Something's not right. If RC has this many people falling and jumping into empty pools, and sustaining life threatening injuries, they would have come up with a better plan.

If the story is true it's sad, but I've got my doubts.

Is it common to have the pools empty? I have NEVER seen the net over the pools in all my past cruises (with the exception of the kids pool).

I have seen empty pools and jacuzzis, always with the net over them.

This is a sad story, but it is also remarkably similiar, in fact nearly identical to the story of what happenend on the Freedom of the Seas yesterday. Something's not right. If RC has this many people falling and jumping into empty pools, and sustaining life threatening injuries, they would have come up with a better plan.

It's called personal responsibility. The only thing I can see RCL doing to change this is to cut off the booze at an earlier time. Maybe they already do this. The could also close off portions of the ship when they drain the pool to protect college aged kids from themselves. I think alot of this might be tied up with "entittlement". They paid for a cruise and are entittled to party and drink all night (and fool around). If anyone tried to shoo them off, they would scream to high heaven about the price they paid for the cruise and their "rights".

My prayers go out to the young man and his family. Their lives have been changed forever because of the horseplay he was engaged in. That is the key - he did it - with sad consequences. RCL did not make him do it. The net was there to say the pool was closed. Should they drain the pools during the day so people who choose to party all night won't possibly get hurt? Should they close and fill in the pools, so people don't dive into empty ones? No! close and drain them at night so we have fresh water to swim in. Since we now know that the brain doesn't fully develop until the mid-twenties maybe more restrictions should be placed on the college students. Let's not pussy foot around. Yes, this is a tragedy, I feel sorry for all impacted by it, but this is the consequence of partying and goofing off until 3:30. In today's society, however, I'm sure there will be a lawsuit blaming the cruise line for everything and no ownership on the young mans part.

I quess 23 year old is a kid because mine are older than that and they will always be kids. As to the ports, we sailed from Belize at around 4'ish. The took the "young man" off the boat in Cosmuel around 8 am. By tender that had what appeared to be a MD with them. Don't know why they didn't medivac him.

This is definately a very sad situation. But most certainly a 23 year old should know better than to jump onto a net that is covering an empty pool. Would the option would be to close the entire area off to everyone so this couldn't happen? I've worked in public service most of my life and believe me, you're damned if you do and your damned if you don't. The best anyone can do is keep an eye out for and reduce risk as much as possible and hope for the best. As unfortunate as this situation is, there is little that RCCL or anyone else could have done. Sorry, don't slam me too hard. :o

Not sure why everyone is piling on this OP.

The other thread that stated it was on the Freedom was being relayed 2nd hand. It sounds like in that post there was a miscommunication about the ship it occurred on. Not 2 similar accidents, one accident on one ship and 2 different tellings of the story, one with certain facts incorrect and one with certain facts not included ( deck 11 vs deck 12). If I were on a ship typing on my handheld device I wouldn't be putting in each and ever detail, but just the high points to get the story told to those that would be interested to hear. I am certainly less skeptical of a poster that is older and more impartial than the story coming from a dad relaying 2nd hand what he heard from his college age daughter (also a kid!) partying with a large group of friends on Spring Break. Not anything against the the Dad's story, I think there is just a misunderstanding.

And as a 40 year old that has started seeing just about anyone under the age of 25 as young, I would certainly call him a kid! Especially if he was part of a group of "college kids".

I personally was already trusting this version of the story vs the one that I read last night. Now a 3rd poster has arrived to verify the story and the OP's telling of it. Just because someone posts "first" doesn't mean that anyone else that posts the same thing is immediately a troll or making things up.

We are diamond members. This weekis the first leg of a back to back on the Navigator. Had a really good first week. Spring break is something else. We have cruised in March before, but this was our first spring break experience on RCCL. The kids were loud, which was fine, but a group of boys and girls language skills need much work. The party continued until the Thursday night party. We had a really bad accident early Friday morning. Around 3:30 AM a bunch of kids were hitting a beach ball around the solariam, adult pool, the beach ball hit in the empty pool, which had a net over it. A 23 year old jumped on to the net to retreive the beach ball and hit the bottom of pool. When I got up around 7 and went out on balcony I noticed we were really close to a port. I went up so pool deck to get us a chair and started hearing stories. We deverted back to cosmuel for an emargency evacuation. They had the entire area sealed off with crime tape, a stokes basket with blood on head piece and the lonesome beach ball still in empty pool. Came down to tell my wife, when a large tender with a medical staff pull up under our balcony and we watch coldly as his two room mates with all their clothes got on the tender to a wait their friend. About 30 minutes later they loaded him. Severe head injury with my bionuculars I could see he had racooned eyes and entire head was swollen & was completely immolized. Later the capt came over speaker and without telling exactly what happened, told us he was in extreme critical condition and because of having to divert our course, we would be arriving late in miami by at least an hour. Our prayers our with the family of this young man. I can't beleive the call they revived. You raise your family, send them to school, then college and they go on a spring break an have something like this happen. I am not sure exactly what happened, but all pools were drained and the net was across all of them. I am RCCL is doing all possible to assist this family. I just wanted to let everyone know. This is my first post, but I love this board. Jim

IMG_0290.JPG

Hi,

My son just got off this particular cruise this morning. He was one of the many college students on spring break. He was at the dance party in the solarium where this happened---it was packed with young college students just having a good time.

He saw the 23 year old dive in, with the safety net failing, hitting his head on the concrete floor of the pool. My son said watching the accident was traumatic, because of the way the young man's head bent back. All the kids were really freaked out by it.

My son didn't know why the safety net would fail like that----it may not have been hooked up correctly. He thought that the safety net gave this 23 year old a false sense of security and doubted that he would have gone into that pool if there had not been a safety net in there.

I wasn't too thrilled by the idea of a cruise for spring break, because even if a young person is prudent, there is so much craziness going on that they are likely to unwittingly become involved in, or in this case witness, a tragedy. I am now relieved that my son and his friends returned safely, but they were really freaked out by this event.

My heart goes out to this young man and his family. An innocent vacation is now going to turn into a long haul recovery, if indeed a full recovery is even possible after this severe injury. My prayers are with them.

Archived