free raffle !!!

Tac123

I have just returned from a trip on Legend of the Seas and I want to mention what happened to me to make others aware. I am very new to cruises and on boarding the ship and having a look around my husband and I looked into the spa. We entered the free raffle for a spa treatment. I ticked the box saying if I won I would like a massage. I thought no more about it as I am sure you can imagine. A couple of days later , when in my room , I recieved a phone call from the spa saying I had won a mini facial and massage in the raffle. WOW THATS BRILLIANT I said. Just phone the spa to make a day and time and say you won the raffle.

I made my appointment for the day we were at sea and had my massage (I gave the facial a miss). As I was leaving the room, the woman said all I need now is your sea pass card. I said I am the person who won the raffle.She replied its not free it is $40 dollars off and you owe $70.The raffle was free but the winner had to be present when it was drawn. I was very embarrassed as I didnt have my seapass card with me.I went to get it and while doing so I thought this is a big con so when I returned to the spa desk I said I wasnt going to pay because I had been conned.The woman insisted she had said I was told it was $40 dollars of any treatment. The spa manager stepped in and said she would look into it. I later received a phone message in my room saying sorry for the misunderstanding and no charge would be made. The point I am making here is that there was NO MISUNDERSTANDING on my part. I KNOW what she said on the phone and if I had of had my sea pass card I would have paid out of embarrassment. Sorry to waffle on but I dont want anybody to be put in the same position.

We just came back from a cruise and yes indeed right on the raffle ticket it said "must be present". They should have explained this on the phone. But I am glad it worked out for you.

The same thing happened to me last year on the Freedom. I had to press mighty hard with the Spa Mgr. but she finally told me I didn't have to pay. I tipped the girl who did the service $20 and left. I was so upset I was crying! Just so frustrating to think you are crazy, but know that you are not! HA!

I would love to give the Spa more business, but little things like this leave such a bad taste in my mouth.

The actual raffle does state "must be present to win."

I have sometimes received letters for 20% or more off of a service as a consolation prize thanking me for participating in the raffle.

If I ever received a phone call like that I think that I would confirm pre-service.

Thats awful. I am going on Legend - just a 5 nighter soon and I will watch out for it. $110 dollars ( I am asumming USD not SGD) for a massage is very steep in Asia (above the 5 star hotel prices) - I wonder how many customers they get?

How was the rest of the cruise? How many nights were you on board for?

So I guess this begs the question...is this really a "free" raffle? No charge for the raffle, but a reduction in the cost of the spa treatment? Am I correct in my understanding as to what has happened?

Must tell our friends who may be joining us on EOS since my friend's wife is likely to visit the spa during the sailing.

MARAPRINCE

I have just returned from a trip on Legend of the Seas and I want to mention what happened to me to make others aware. I am very new to cruises and on boarding the ship and having a look around my husband and I looked into the spa. We entered the free raffle for a spa treatment. I ticked the box saying if I won I would like a massage. I thought no more about it as I am sure you can imagine. A couple of days later , when in my room , I recieved a phone call from the spa saying I had won a mini facial and massage in the raffle. WOW THATS BRILLIANT I said. Just phone the spa to make a day and time and say you won the raffle.

I made my appointment for the day we were at sea and had my massage (I gave the facial a miss). As I was leaving the room, the woman said all I need now is your sea pass card. I said I am the person who won the raffle.She replied its not free it is $40 dollars off and you owe $70.The raffle was free but the winner had to be present when it was drawn. I was very embarrassed as I didnt have my seapass card with me.I went to get it and while doing so I thought this is a big con so when I returned to the spa desk I said I wasnt going to pay because I had been conned.The woman insisted she had said I was told it was $40 dollars of any treatment. The spa manager stepped in and said she would look into it. I later received a phone message in my room saying sorry for the misunderstanding and no charge would be made. The point I am making here is that there was NO MISUNDERSTANDING on my part. I KNOW what she said on the phone and if I had of had my sea pass card I would have paid out of embarrassment. Sorry to waffle on but I dont want anybody to be put in the same position.

If it's to good to be true...well you know the drill. Thanks for the heads up.

So I guess this begs the question...is this really a "free" raffle? No charge for the raffle, but a reduction in the cost of the spa treatment? Am I correct in my understanding as to what has happened?

Must tell our friends who may be joining us on EOS since my friend's wife is likely to visit the spa during the sailing.

MARAPRINCE

I think if you were at the spa at the time the raffle was drawn it was free ( I didnt know about having to be present at the time of the draw, and to be honest I never gave it another thought.). It was very confusing I just know what she said to me when she phoned me .It was made very clear that I had "won" by someone on the end of the phone who acted like I had won a million in the lottery. Just ask questions and dont take it for granted.

Thats awful. I am going on Legend - just a 5 nighter soon and I will watch out for it. $110 dollars ( I am asumming USD not SGD) for a massage is very steep in Asia (above the 5 star hotel prices) - I wonder how many customers they get?

How was the rest of the cruise? How many nights were you on board for?

Yes USD !! We were on a back to back cruise doing 5 nights in Taiwan then 6 nights China and Vietnam. We had a great time,met lovely people and saw many amazing sights. Which trip are you doing ?

MARAPRINCE

On the first sea day of our cruise on the Freedom last month we sent to the spa to book a massage for my husband - the very nice lady at the front desk said to fill out a ballot as there was a raffle in 5 mins.

We filled it out - waited while they gave their little speech on all the spa services, then started calling out stateroom numbers for the draw. You have to be present to win - we were about to leave as this was taking time. All the cabins they were calling the people had left - then they called ours!!!!!!

We won $500 in spa services!!!!! No catch at all!!!! We were pampered all week!

$110 for a 50 min is about what they charge in the spas around here (DC area) Hence, I don't usually get one! :(

Just ask questions and dont take it for granted.

Wise words of warning for any "raffles" or other give aways.

On the first sea day of our cruise on the Freedom last month we sent to the spa to book a massage for my husband - the very nice lady at the front desk said to fill out a ballot as there was a raffle in 5 mins.

We filled it out - waited while they gave their little speech on all the spa services, then started calling out stateroom numbers for the draw. You have to be present to win - we were about to leave as this was taking time. All the cabins they were calling the people had left - then they called ours!!!!!!

We won $500 in spa services!!!!! No catch at all!!!! We were pampered all week!

Awesome :D So good to actually come across someone who won SOMETHING! I keep dreaming of winning a cruise......

Archived