Alaska in early June - What to wear?

Hello! So excited to be cruising to Alaska in early June. Have been on a few Caribbean visits (easy to pack for) but, wanted some suggestions on what to pack for Alaska.

Thought about taking:

Fleece Jacket

Waterproof Outer Jacket

Jeans

Boot/hiking shoes

Would jeans and long sleeve or hooded long sleeve tees work for everyday on the ship?

Dinners (non-formal) - business casual?

Would appreciate any suggestions! Thanks! :)

It will work---unless it's HOT! And the weather can change hourly! Do bring some warmer-weather clothes, too!

I remember several years ago, when it was hotter in Alaska than it was here, on the E. Coast of Va.! Prepare for ANY weather! Bring things you can layer (or take off, as needed!) Shorts may not be out of the question!

Non-formal dinners....dockers and golf shirt will be fine!

Take a variety of sleeve lengths that you can layer. Jeans, definitely, but throw in at least one pair of shorts. Don't forget the bathing suit.

Alaska is tricky, there are no guarantees with weather except you will probably see some rain somewhere. Check your weather a couple days before leaving to see what the temps and rainfall predictions are going to be.

Edit to add, to save weight and packing space take only one jacket, preferrably the waterproof one. Only take the boots/hiking shoes if you plan on some serious hiking, otherwise sneakers work just fine. One pair...we took two each by suggestions here on CC and they took up a whole lot of space and weight, then we really didn't need 2 pair.

Hello! So excited to be cruising to Alaska in early June. Have been on a few Caribbean visits (easy to pack for) but, wanted some suggestions on what to pack for Alaska.

Thought about taking:

Fleece Jacket

Waterproof Outer Jacket

Jeans

Boot/hiking shoes

Would jeans and long sleeve or hooded long sleeve tees work for everyday on the ship?

Dinners (non-formal) - business casual?

Would appreciate any suggestions! Thanks! :)

Hi, I have been to Alaska 3 times and I keep going back because

I LOVE IT:D

I do throw in a pair of shorts but its never been hot on my particular

sailings.

You can always follow the weather for a couple of weeks before

you leave.

Layering is the way to go and your daytime outfit sounds fine.

Jeans, long sleeves, sweater, etc...

As for eveningwear? I dress the same way sailing to Alaska as

I do anywhere else. I wear dresses, skirts and tops/slacks and tops

for dinner. I enjoy dressing up so I do it on all my cruises;)

I don't own any boots so they don't go with me. I have a pair

of Skecher's (lace up) that I used on my last cruise to Alaska

back in Sept. They worked great for me.:)

Have a fantastic time:D

Layer, layer, layer is my best advice. In June it would be really warm or really cold. We sailed to Alaska in Aug. and it was never really what I would call hot. The best item I took because it rains a lot in Alaska is a pair of what I call "duck boots". They were great for the rain and going on boats and anywhere where the ground was wet or damp. Along with a pair of knee high socks they kept my feet warm and cozy. At night I too dressed as I would for any other night on a cruise. I always wear a light sweater or jacket, or long sleeves. One of the best items you can take is a waterproof hooded jacket with a wool liner. When its warmer you just take out the lining. Mine worked for the whole cruise. Also, you will want a warm pair of gloves and scarf, plus a really warm pair of pants and jacket for viewing the glaciers off the ship. A hat or hood would also help. Hope this advice helps a little.:D

You have gotten realy good advice from everyone on here, I went in June last year what I wore the most were my jeans for excursions and the ship, I did get dressed for dinner I find the Alaskan cruises less formal except for the formal dinners.

What I used the most was my hooded jacket and don't forget the umbrella although we lucked out and saw rain for about 20 min.

You we love Alaska enjoy......

Fleece jacket and vest can be your best friends in Alaska! It can be cold when you are out on deck viewing the wildlife - on our June cruise last year I would layer a fine cashmere turtleneck, fleece jacket, vest and windbraker and be warm and cozy on the deck on the ship or excursion boat.

When we went to the Yukon from Skagway, inland was warm enough for a t-shirt so you definitely need to layer depening on the days activities.

Every port will have many souvenir shops selling inexpensive fleece items so you can always pick them oup in your 1st port.

I brought ear muffs but did buy a nice, warm hat in Ketchikan.

This year we are heading to a much warmer climate so there is no need to worry about packing bulky items.

Enjoy your cruise !

We invested in light weight, hooded raincoats. Mine was from LL Bean,

DH's from Dick's Sporting Goods. We used them all the time. With layering

they worked quite well. I always carry a drawstring back pack and they

both fold up and fit into the back pack.

Our cruise was the first week in June 2007. We had great weather for

everyday but the glacier day. It was rainy, misty and cold.

You will have a wonderful time.

Archived