Another Question re Eliminating Formal Nights

Rudolph38

I would continue to cruise HAL, but I wouldn't wear a Tuxedo anymore. I would bring and dress in a suit and a tie or clerics on evenings that either I felt like it or I was dining in the Pinnacle or for special occasions, on Sundays, or other such events. And, I would continue to wear slacks, button-down shirts, and sport jackets on many other nights.

I would mourn no longer having an opportunity to wear my Tuxedos, and would also probably look toward cruising on Cunard some. However, Cunard doesn't go where I want to go on my cruises -- they don't have as many ships, and their ships are bigger than I'd like. So ... I'll also stick with HAL for the bulk of my cruising.

I would continue to dress up every night, as I have since HAL eliminated informal nights. But I would never dress formally if the night were not designated as such. After all, it is just as much out of place to be overdressed as it is to be underdressed.

I would also look at other cruise lines. Cunard and Saga come readily to mind as being a good fit for me.

Ruth, you seem to know everything about HAL on so many topics! I get good advice from your posts all the time. We will be cruising with HAL for the first time in August. How formal are we talking? I have always enjoyed formal nights on Princess. Is HAL formal night "fancier" than Princess?:confused:

Ruth, you seem to know everything about HAL on so many topics! I get good advice from your posts all the time. We will be cruising with HAL for the first time in August. How formal are we talking? I have always enjoyed formal nights on Princess. Is HAL formal night "fancier" than Princess?:confused:

Thanks for the compliment. I don't know "everything", but I have cruised a lot, so picked up some information on the ride.

I've never sailed on Princess. I will say that the definition of "formal" on HAL doesn't change from one itinerary to another; only the level of compliance does. That will range from almost everyone to much less, and can vary from one week to the next.

I've been on longer, European cruises on which most everyone was well-dressed, and shorter Caribbean cruises which were pretty dressed down.

HAL's definition of "formal" really doesn't have to be all that dressy, either. For a man, a simple jacket and tie does the trick. For a woman, a little sparkle does the trick. One does not have to wear a tux or gown.

I would continue to cruise HAL, but I wouldn't wear a Tuxedo anymore. I would bring and dress in a suit and a tie or clerics on evenings that either I felt like it or I was dining in the Pinnacle or for special occasions, on Sundays, or other such events. And, I would continue to wear slacks, button-down shirts, and sport jackets on many other nights.

I would mourn no longer having an opportunity to wear my Tuxedos, and would also probably look toward cruising on Cunard some. However, Cunard doesn't go where I want to go on my cruises -- they don't have as many ships, and their ships are bigger than I'd like. So ... I'll also stick with HAL for the bulk of my cruising.

Why should you have to?? IMHO these people are a little late to the ball, they have options and are just yanking our chain, just don't let them eliminate ours!!:) I totally understand Cmdchieftom, been there, done that in the Corps.

That is the really neat thing about cruising, you can be whomever you want to be, buy into whatever traditions you like and avoid the rest, and there's plenty of social space to do that.

If HAL eliminated formal nights and Celebrity still had them that would be a big impetus for us to switch. We've enjoyed both lines. We've also enjoyed the informality of NCL, but our expectation on HAL is a traditional cruise

I would strongly consider switching to a cruise / cruise line that had Formal Nights to choose participate in. I like the analogy used about the ‘Wendys’ / MacDonalds. As much as I understand the ‘ I’m on vacation / paying for this / want to relax ‘ comments, personally I would switch to a cruise that was less ‘fast food’. Just my 2 cents.

The fact that HAL eliminated formal nights would certainly never prevent me from dressing appropriately for a fine evening out with my wife. I would keep cruising with HAL and keep dressing as I always do when we go out. They could tell me all they want that Dockers and a collared golf shirt are ACCEPTED, I don't think I would ever get turned away from the MDR for wearing a suit and tie.

We would stay on HAL too. We love it! And there would be nights were the dresses and the shirt and tie would come out. It would be nice to know that no matter what you are wearing no one would look down on you.

Here's what I don't understand..........how does what you wear to dinner, on any night, affect the taste of the food or the service you get? AND why do you care what the waiters think of you? You will never in your life see these people again and after you are off their ship do you really think they remember who you were or what you wore?

Surely anyone who has enough money to go on multiple cruises in one year, year after year after year, is in a social circle where they can wear their gowns and tuxes and show off their jewelry in other venues.

If I were planning to dress formally for dinner that would mean having to hustle even more luggage. At today's prices minimalism is necessary.

Who goes on a cruise because they can dress up for dinner?

'K let the flaming begin :p

Interesting discussion. I don't love formal nights, but I don't mind them either, and I always dress for them. However, I just booked my first HAL cruise and am taking a 12 day Mediterranean cruise. Need to travel light. How do you do that and include formal wear for two people (even if you wear the same thing both nights it is a lot of extra stuff). Hubby and I are thinking about eating in the Lido that night. Would prefer to feel comfortable in the MDR.

Interesting discussion. I don't love formal nights, but I don't mind them either, and I always dress for them. However, I just booked my first HAL cruise and am taking a 12 day Mediterranean cruise. Need to travel light. How do you do that and include formal wear for two people (even if you wear the same thing both nights it is a lot of extra stuff). Hubby and I are thinking about eating in the Lido that night. Would prefer to feel comfortable in the MDR.

Hi, CruizingMissy and welcome to HAL. Speaking for myself, I don't cruise for the "dressing up" any more. I cruise for lots of other reasons. Many ladies here swear by Chico's travelers for easy-to-pack attire. Can your hubby fit a jacket and tie in his luggage? (They don't need to be part of a suit ensemble). HAL's "formal" dress code is fairly flexible. You don't need to be dressed "up to the nines". Enjoy your cruise.

Elimination of formal nights would probably be enough to get us to try one of the other upscale or luxury lines. It's not that formal night by itself is that important of an item, but eliminating formal nights would clearly mark a distinction of HAL being more casual. We've seen lots of little signs of this, but so far they've managed to maintain a balance, more or less, between traditional cruising and modern society's expectations.

Since we like traditional cruising, we'd be far more likely to give one of the other lines that still targets that niche a chance. Who knows--maybe we'd come right back to HAL after finding out that there are so many things we'd miss. But then again, maybe we'd become loyal to another line and HAL wouldn't get another chance.

Three formal nights(2 hrs each) on a 17 day cruise I was on represented about 1.4% of the total duration and this warrents the multiple threads/topics on this issue.

Rather than whine and complain just simply don't attend, then you haven't got a worry if you are stopped at the door not in proper attire or if you may be consious of what others may say/think. If it indicates formal then you know proper dress is requested but if is your intent to make a statement in a formal setting in your jeans/cap/ or whatever, well..... what can I say.

As for myself, I hate dress clothes and don't do, ever, ever formal or any setting that requires a shirt/tie on my vacation - bar none! Cruising I can take it or leave it but it is a good way to get around and enjoy different venues/ports/scenery. The cruises I have been on were fun and there have been no regrets to date. I tell this to the group we travel with that I don't pack any type of dress attire and I won't be attending any formal nights.

:D

Why should you have to?? IMHO these people are a little late to the ball, they have options and are just yanking our chain, just don't let them eliminate ours!!:)

If HAL does away with Formal Nights I would feel uncomfortable dressing in a Tuxedo. That's simply how I feel. I would feel exceedingly conspicuous dressed in a Tuxedo if everybody else were dressed in shorts and T-shirts or even in nominal Smart Causal wear. That is, in part, because a Tuxedo is not part of my normal wardrobe ... it's "special clothing" for wear on special occasions when/where others are doing likewise.

Jackets with slacks and a button-down shirt are NORMAL wear for me on evenings out to a nice steakhouse or elegant restaurant; black suit and clerics are are NORMAL wear for me on Sundays and at other Formal-type occasions (Symphony, Prayer Breakfast with the President/Governor/Senator/etc). I don't have problem wearing such in a setting where people are dressed in Country-Club casual or better. But to push the envelope all the way to Tuxedo in such a setting is to be Conspicuously dressed in something I wouldn't normally wear.

Iwould still go to HAL, yet might be more inclined to look elsewhere (Azamara, Princess, Cunard, Oceania, etc); I already book them if I find their itineraries more interesting.

If you're looking for formal nights, some of these are not options for you. Oceania has never had formal nights, suggested dress has always been "country club casual". I believe Azamara, which did have formal nights, has now gone to "country club casual" with no formal nights as well.

Here's what I don't understand..........how does what you wear to dinner, on any night, affect the taste of the food or the service you get? AND why do you care what the waiters think of you? You will never in your life see these people again and after you are off their ship do you really think they remember who you were or what you wore?

Surely anyone who has enough money to go on multiple cruises in one year, year after year after year, is in a social circle where they can wear their gowns and tuxes and show off their jewelry in other venues.

If I were planning to dress formally for dinner that would mean having to hustle even more luggage. At today's prices minimalism is necessary.

Who goes on a cruise because they can dress up for dinner?

'K let the flaming begin :p

There are a number of restaurants to which we do not return. Not because they don't have good food, but because my husband does not like the atmosphere. If I am in a white tablecloth restaurant and someone in my line of vision is wearing shorts and a tee shirt with writing, it spoils the atmosphere for me. That being said, in addition to HAL, we have cruised with Oceania and everyone dresses nicely.

Here's what I don't understand..........how does what you wear to dinner, on any night, affect the taste of the food or the service you get?

It doesn't, and I don't recall anyone ever saying that it does. However, there's a lot more to dining than just the taste of the food or the service.

If HAL does away with Formal Nights I would feel uncomfortable dressing in a Tuxedo. That's simply how I feel. I would feel exceedingly conspicuous dressed in a Tuxedo if everybody else were dressed in shorts and T-shirts or even in nominal Smart Causal wear. That is, in part, because a Tuxedo is not part of my normal wardrobe ... it's "special clothing" for wear on special occasions when/where others are doing likewise.
I agree tux or dinner jacket for "announced" formal evenings, they're not something you wear just anywhere especially in Texas. I do know of some clubs that still require a coat and perhaps a tie for dinner dining.

Jackets with slacks and a button-down shirt are NORMAL wear for me on evenings out to a nice steakhouse or elegant restaurant; black suit and clerics are are NORMAL wear for me on Sundays and at other Formal-type occasions (Symphony, Prayer Breakfast with the President/Governor/Senator/etc). I don't have problem wearing such in a setting where people are dressed in Country-Club casual or better. But to push the envelope all the way to Tuxedo in such a setting is to be Conspicuously dressed in something I wouldn't normally wear.
We try to fit in to whatever the occasion with hardly ever a problem. I've got a closet full of clothes (more than my wife to hear her tell it) some end up as cruise wear, as they are a cut above the jeans and polos of the Texas Coast.

With the current state of politics in our nation, are you seeing an increase in requests for Prayer Breakfasts with those kind of people??

Well, if HAL does away with formal night, then don't wear a tuxedo! Problem solved, everybody happy and most importantly, no feelings hurt and no encounters in the elevator!

With the current state of politics in our nation, are you seeing an increase in requests for Prayer Breakfasts with those kind of people??

Yes and no. I have enjoyed luncheons, prayer breakfasts, and such with "those kind of people" on many occasions. One doesn't wear shorts and muscle-shirts to breakfast with the President. One just doesn't.

Well, if HAL does away with formal night, then don't wear a tuxedo! Problem solved, everybody happy and most importantly, no feelings hurt and no encounters in the elevator!

The problem is that not everybody would be happy; I would LOVE to still have appropriate venues in which I get to wear a Tuxedo. Formal Nights on cruises give me such venues. Do away with those, and out goes that opportunity.

My point is a simple one: I want HAL to continue with Formal Nights. If they don't, I'll probably still keep cruising HAL (at least some), but I will miss the Formal Nights and the opportunities those afforded to dress in Tuxedo or dinner jacket.

Archived