Motu Mahana: for all who were curious about the cyclone damage

flyerdreamer

We were the first cruise to return since the dual cyclones. It more or less looks the same. The only obvious damage was the lack of a dock landing (they just dropped us off in knee deep water and we walked the rest of the way to the beach) and the sand has all but washed away, leaving roots exposed and many ants. Only a few palms came down, and most of those are in burn piles already. (The Bora Bora motu was in better shape--kept the sand and is frankly so much prettier.)

I really didn't care for Mahana anymore. The residents have built some more houses/shacks, and we were told not to trespass, leaving only a narrow swathe of beach to explore. There are pigs sharing the beach now with the dogs, and while the suckling pigs were cute, I wasn't a big fan of the pig droppings. The residents/caretakers no longer feed the dogs. They were emaciated and horrifically so, and so dehydrated that they would find people's plastic drink cups where the ice had melted and try to drink from them. One kept straining to have a bowel movement on the beach and it was obviously torture for the poor thing. Not to mention fleas! I asked one of the bartenders about it and they say they don't know why they keep getting more dogs when they don't take care of them. They feel sorry for the animals and bring sandwiches to feed them, but the reality is the ship isn't there frequently enough to do any good. I hope someone from the ship is reading this. I really don't know a solution other than finding a different motu. Back in 2006 it wasn't like this.

Thanks for this post.

The image you painted of Motu Mahana is not one of paradise. I can handle nature's fury on her own turf, but man's irresponsibility can bring one to tears. I do hope Beachcomber gets your information. I'm unsure if they read here as Mark Conroy was known to do.

I'm also sad to hear about the Motu. We didn't get to visit, but had heard such wonderful things about it.

I do believe that this board is read by people from the PG.

BTW, welcome home Flyer!! We were thinking of you all week. Good luck with the Post Vacation Blues... I've still got them.

KK

I can't believe I forgot to mention that the snorkling area was decimated. Lots of dead staghorn coral. So sad. Now, of course the motu is still lovely--it is after all Polynesia. You can still wander around to the rear and across to the other motu in the shallows.

Maui, I know what you mean about playing catch up! We had a wonderful time. But the weather for us was divine after the second day (downpours the first). We spent evenings out under the stars at La Pallete (as opposed to the piano bar.) Incredible views of the Milky Way. We were very, very fortunate.

The coral was pretty bad when we were there in December 2008. In fact the coral was degraded everywhere, some places worse than others, but the coral at the motu definitely.

But so sad to hear about the motu--I didn't even know there were "residents", and there were never dogs there before (on BB motu, yes.) I saw feral pigs on a motu off Raiatea once, they seem to thrive anywhere.

Sounds like the only real downside of the "new" PG, so far.

Sorry, it's Motu Mahana that lost the sand and the coral garden. Bora Bora has the hungry dogs, but the good sand, and Motu Mahana hungry ants and beach loss. (If sand is added to Mahana, it will help a lot, but the coral is gone for good, i think) Here are some pics of each. Top 2 Motu Mahana, bottom 3 Bora Bora. As you can see, still pretty, but just a dose of reality on an otherwise perfect cruise.

P3080102.jpg

P3080100.jpg[/img]

P3090012.jpg

P3090013.jpgP3090015.jpg

Flyer, thanks so much for your photos and posts. I really appreciate them! I remember being told not to trespass on the Bora Bora motu last year as well. I really wanted to walk that lovely beach, but took to the water and stayed there all day. I am reminded I was on the first tender over and the last tender back that day. I must have had a lovely time and lots of Hinanos.

Hi Flyerdreamer

I don't mean to hijack your thread but I don't think that there is another way to contact a CC member.

In 2006 you posted a photo of the rear cabins taken from the tender.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=374623

The 'photobucket' image has been "moved or deleted". Could you post it again or alternatively e-mail it to me ? brianandtony at free dot fr

Many thanks

• 4 weeks later...
Is it worthwhile to spend that day on Motu Mahana in its current condition? For the lunch/entertainment put on by PG? Or better to do an indepndent Taha'a tour like Bruno's?

We will definitely be on the first tender to the Motu!

I just don't think I could stand the idea of neglected dogs on the Bora Bora Motu. Indeed, as a Humane Society supporter, the neglected dog situation in several islands in FP really bothered me when I was last there in "06. And it sounds like it has become worse. It certainly became worse between '02 and '06, to my observation. I never saw a wild pig during my PG cruises during that period, but I wouldn't be disturbed if they are indeed wildlife.

I can't recall the corral on Motu Mahama, but the corral reef in the middle of the Bora Bora Motu has been dead since '02, and probably before. It is indeed a shame.

Yes, the dogs are a serious problem--I remember two dogs on the BB motu, but they seemed very happy and healthy--too bad if this situation has gotten out of hand.

As for the pigs, they are feral, not wild. We saw a big sow on a motu on the south end of Raiatea once while snorkelling, so this is not uncommon. Plenty of stuff there for pigs to eat I guess.

Archived