Princess won't honor price quote!

JHB1901

The family suites typically charge full fares for the first 4 to 6 people in the room and the lower 3rd/4th rates for the 7th and 8th passengers. I think it sounds like an honest mistake which the "fine" print says can be refared at the higher rate. I think it is accept the new rate, select a different cabin (perhaps a mini suite), or cancel.

This sounds like a possibility given that the OP said they booked four people in family suite.

I wonder why neither the client nor the TA (who had booked many cruises before) smelled a rat when the quote came back $4000 too low?

I have booked some pretty expensive cruises and would know something was amiss if a price came back that much lower.

Mike:)

Not exaggerating here, but this is probably the least booked cabin on Princess ships and I believe agents have to call Princess in order to book it (due to the confusing pricing on this cabin). It wouldn't surprise me if the agent hadn't priced this type of cabin out before.

I personally have not heard of anyone intentially booking this cabin on this board. Many people get this cabin on upgrades.

The initial confirmation is an automated confirmation. If upon further review any errors were made the cruiseline reserves the right to make corrections. Read the fine print .. I have seen this happen before.

You have the option to get a full refund.

If an offer sounds to good to be true ???

Yep, read the fine print, Princess reserves the right to increase their fares whenever, however and to whoever, until the day you sail :D

I believe there is a little more to the story then what is being said. It sounds like someone (Princess or TA) did not figure in 3rd and 4th person and that is where the additional fare comes in. Princess charges for 3rd and 4th person and if the TA has any experience with Princess, or in fact, with any cruise line and did not see a charge for 3rd and 4th passenger, then they should of questioned it.

My suggestion is that you just ask for a full refund and book different cabins or if you really feel Princess is at fault, then with another cruise line. I don't believe the TA could even sue Princess even if they wanted to, since they are not any money. You are welcome to sue a Multi-Billion dollar Corporation if you want the experience but do to the fine print, you have no chance of winning. Sorry.

Calmom, The difference in this is if the OP booked the family suite, they charge the FULL SUITE rate for those 4 passengers, there is not a discount for the 3rd and 4th passenger at all as there is in other staterooms. It sounds like the family suite was misquoted in the beginning to the TA, not taking into consideration this is considered a full suite, even though it is more or less just a mini and inside stateroom combined by a common sitting area. ;)

On our second cruise with Princess we booked two coastal cruises - a one night and three night both with Princess - (SEA to LA). We were not familiar with the PVSA at that time and apparently neither was our TA and the Princess rep. I know our TA was working with Princess because we were trying to keep the same cabin for both cruises -so a lot of "can you hold while I check with the cruise line".

Anyway, it took about two months before we got the call that we couldn't do both cruises because of the PVSA. It amazed me it took so long.

The written confirmation is from Princess Cruises, not my agent. My travel agent sent me a copy. It's very clear what the amounts are that they had confirmed and it has my deposit on it. Now, they raised the price on the confirmation by over $4,000 and refuse to honor the original price quote.

My agent is not a discount agency. He is very reputable and is not at fault. He has filed numerous complaints against Princess, but they refuse to budge even though it's obvious they are in the wrong. Now, he is considering sueing them, although he would rather not have to do that!

It sounds like Princess are on pretty weak ground.

Calmom, The difference in this is if the OP booked the family suite, they charge the FULL SUITE rate for those 4 passengers, there is not a discount for the 3rd and 4th passenger at all as there is in other staterooms. It sounds like the family suite was misquoted in the beginning to the TA, not taking into consideration this is considered a full suite, even though it is more or less just a mini and inside stateroom combined by a common sitting area. ;)

Please. You are stating as fact a situation that was never described by the OP.

Princess is not alone in this. Sadly all the cruise lines appear to do it. They take no responsibility for mistakes made by their staff, staff they trained and supervise. Instead, when their employees or IT systems make mistakes the customer is expected to pay.

Wow, I didn't realize that they did not offer a discount for the 3rd & 4th for the Full Suite. Thanks for updating me. Of course, Full Suit are never in my budget :eek:, guess that's why I didn't know either.

On our second cruise with Princess we booked two coastal cruises - a one night and three night both with Princess - (SEA to LA). We were not familiar with the PVSA at that time and apparently neither was our TA and the Princess rep. I know our TA was working with Princess because we were trying to keep the same cabin for both cruises -so a lot of "can you hold while I check with the cruise line".

Anyway, it took about two months before we got the call that we couldn't do both cruises because of the PVSA. It amazed me it took so long.

What's PVSA?

Princess is not alone in this. Sadly all the cruise lines appear to do it. They take no responsibility for mistakes made by their staff, staff they trained and supervise. Instead, when their employees or IT systems make mistakes the customer is expected to pay.

This is exactly why Princess has the fine print, it is an easy out for them. Unfortunately, I don't think the OP can doing anything about it except cancel or pay the higher fare. Is it fair? Of course not. If it bad PR? Just it is.

Wow, I didn't realize that they did not offer a discount for the 3rd & 4th for the Full Suite. Thanks for updating me. Of course, Full Suit are never in my budget :eek:, guess that's why I didn't know either.

As I said previously (for the poster who chewed me out for saying IF the OP booked the family suite :rolleyes:), these family suites are totally different then regular suites as they are two staterooms combined. I am pretty sure there is a discount of some sort for 3rd and 4th in regular suites, but the family suite is priced totally different then any of the others.

broberts, Please notice that IF word in my post. I did not state this as a fact, but said IF IF IF. :rolleyes:

As I said previously (for the poster who chewed me out for saying IF the OP booked the family suite :rolleyes:), these family suites are totally different then regular suites as they are two staterooms combined. I am pretty sure there is a discount of some sort for 3rd and 4th in regular suites, but the family suite is priced totally different then any of the others.

broberts, Please notice that IF word in my post. I did not state this as a fact, but said IF IF IF. :rolleyes:

So there really isn't an advantage booking a Family Suite other than convenience, which you pay more for. Correct?

You'll always find posters that misinterpret you words :rolleyes: or just want to argue.

So there really isn't an advantage booking a Family Suite other than convenience, which you pay more for. Correct?

You'll always find posters that misinterpret you words :rolleyes: or just want to argue.

The price is enough to talk you out of the convenience of the family suite for most. It isn't designed like a regular suite, doesn't have the extras in the cabin (such as jacuzzi tub, wet bar, DVD player, stereo, etc). It is just a mini suite and inside stateroom combined with a larger sitting area with an inner door to close off the inside stateroom sleeping section. The larger living room is big, and so is the balcony, but the balcony is almost non-useable while out at sea because the family suites are located all the way forward and the wind is terrible. They do come with full suite perks though. I don't think I have ever read where someone purposely booked this type of suite, most are upgraded to it, and even then, some are very unhappy about the upgrade.

And for your second statement..............no truer words were ever spoken on CC. :)

Please post details!!!

- What cruise?

- What categorie of cabin?

- What was the original quote for Pass 1, 2, 3 and 4

- What is the new price Princess has quoted you?

- Was the first quote a courtesy hold?

- When was the date of the first quote?

- When did you make your deposit?

- Are you at past passenger?

We really need to know these details so we can give a rational course of action. if you don't you'll just get flamed from other posters on this thread.

Legally NO company can up charge for a mistake on thier part UNLESS it is in the fine print.

Hope to get the Fact

What's PVSA?

I am trying to find Karen's (SeattleCruiseLovers) thread about the PVSA but I can't find it. I tend to ramble describing the PVSA so here is the wikipedia definition:

Under the Passenger Vessel Services Act of 1886, 46 App. U.S.C. § 289, foreign-flagged vessels cannot transport passengers directly between U.S. ports. The handful of U.S.-flagged cruise ships in operation are registered in the U.S. to permit cruises between the Hawaiian Islands, or from the continental U.S. to Hawaii. The Passenger Services Act, however, does not prohibit foreign-flagged ships departing from and returning to the same U.S. port. Nor does it prohibit foreign-flagged ships departing from a U.S. port, visiting a foreign port, and then continuing to a second U.S. port. However, in order to embark in a US port and disembark in a second US port, the vessel must visit a distant foreign port outside of the North America(Bermuda counts as Part of North America). Nor does it prevent a ship from taking on passengers at a U.S. port and then returning them to another U.S. city by ground or air, or vice-versa as long as the ship either is a cruise to nowhere or if it stops at all, it must stop at at least one foreign port.

So for our cruise Princess would have been transporting us from Seattle to LA which is against the PVSA and big fines. It is because of this law that most 1 night cruises exist.

Sorry to go Off Topic

I am trying to find Karen's (SeattleCruiseLovers) thread about the PVSA but I can't find it. I tend to ramble describing the PVSA so here is the wikipedia definition:

Under the Passenger Vessel Services Act of 1886, 46 App. U.S.C. § 289, foreign-flagged vessels cannot transport passengers directly between U.S. ports. The handful of U.S.-flagged cruise ships in operation are registered in the U.S. to permit cruises between the Hawaiian Islands, or from the continental U.S. to Hawaii. The Passenger Services Act, however, does not prohibit foreign-flagged ships departing from and returning to the same U.S. port. Nor does it prohibit foreign-flagged ships departing from a U.S. port, visiting a foreign port, and then continuing to a second U.S. port. However, in order to embark in a US port and disembark in a second US port, the vessel must visit a distant foreign port outside of the North America(Bermuda counts as Part of North America). Nor does it prevent a ship from taking on passengers at a U.S. port and then returning them to another U.S. city by ground or air, or vice-versa as long as the ship either is a cruise to nowhere or if it stops at all, it must stop at at least one foreign port.

So for our cruise Princess would have been transporting us from Seattle to LA which is against the PVSA and big fines. It is because of this law that most 1 night cruises exist.

Sorry to go Off Topic

Thank you. I sometimes get confused on the abbreviation used on CC :confused:

So somebody at Princess most likely made an error and mis-quoted a price.

Now the poster wants to take advantage of that error and get a price that he/she is not really entitled to.

What has happened to honesty and morality in the USA?

I wonder what his/her Rabbi, Priest, or Pastor might advise???

I also wonder if the poster had made an error and over-paid the cruise line by $4,000, would it then be OK for the cruise line to just keep the extra money??

OP clearly stated at the start that they booked a family suite, where the pricing is exactly as Toto described. The first 4 passengers pay full fare, then passengers 5-8 pay upper berth rates.

Please. Read carefully before flaming!

If the mistake is obvious, companies have the privilege to seek redress. Anyone can fat-finger a quote.

It sounds like the OP wanted to book a suite for four. My suggestion would be to look at one of the other suite categories that have room for 2 extra passengers, where they would be able to take advantage of the reduced rates for upper berths. It sounds to me that that is what the TA priced out initially with Princess.

Oh, but of course, what other option then to "sue".

And if the shoe were on your foot, and you had a confirmation from Princess, I'm sure you would gladly pay the higher price.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I am against frivolous law suits but if there is a legitimate reason then it should be used.

Now the poster wants to take advantage of that error and get a price that he/she is not really entitled to.

I also wonder if the poster had made an error and over-paid the cruise line by $4,000, would it then be OK for the cruise line to just keep the extra money??

I think that is just silly and taking it too far. No one is trying to take advantage, they just want what was promised to them. Why bash the poster for wanting that? If it can't be worked out, the poster will have to cancel, change rooms, etc. They are being confronted with a decision they must now make and are not happy about it. I don't think this says anything about their honesty.

If you go into a store and it has a sale price listed on a dishwasher and then when you go to pay for it and it's 100$ higher, you would generally question the company and say "Hey, you quoted such and such price" The company either has to sell the dishwasher at the price they quoted, negotiate something the customer would be happy with, or not make the sale to that specific customer should they choose not to buy it based on the 'new to them' price.

The OP may not be able to get the cruise for the price they were quoted, and they may have to cancel, but wanting the price that they thought was guarenteed to them does not make them dishonest or immoral.

I am NOT trying to take advantage of the situation! Princess Cruises quoted and confirmed a price that was what was reasonably expected for the suite we were booking. So, I AM entitled to that price. It is Princess Cruises that is being dishonest by not honoring their original committment. I have done nothing wrong!

suing will not settle the matter

presumably the op wants to go on the cruise

and presumably someone has made an error

so it needs fixing

if the op cant afford the extra$4k change rooms/change cruiselines

things happen and no one here can fix this predicament

the op and the t/a have to deal with it and it sounds like its "take it or leave it" time

i assume the op are grown ups, not sure what they expect from these boards??

hava great cruise

suing will not settle the matter

presumably the op wants to go on the cruise

and presumably someone has made an error

so it needs fixing

if the op cant afford the extra$4k change rooms/change cruiselines

things happen and no one here can fix this predicament

the op and the t/a have to deal with it and it sounds like its "take it or leave it" time

i assume the op are grown ups, not sure what they expect from these boards??

hava great cruise

I dont' give up that easy! You may allow yourself to be cheated, but I don't. There are other options that I have and I intend to take them. I have received many helpful suggestions here and in other places, which is appreciated.

Archived