why no webcams on RCC ships?

:mad::mad: Apart from a camera in the promenade of VOYAGER, can anyone tell me why RCC don't have webcams around their huge ships? Don't tell me it's a security issue! Most ships have at least a bridgecam. There are even cruise lines with multiple cameras with different ship perspectives like port and starboard views, internet room views, aft views. This has to be good promo for a cruise line. Look at COSTA, CRYSTAL, HAPAG LLOYD, MSC.

....and RCC? one camera in ONE ship! Aren't you proud of your ships RCC?

PS. not sure whether any members remember, but a few years ago, CELEBRITY (interesting isn't it? - the "owners" of RCC) had great webcams and even a date/time stamp where you could see deck activity or a port or a sailaway or a docking over a 6 month span.... it was great. BUT, they just closed them all down.

I guess it's a matter of preference. I'm not a fan of them, and particularly wouldn't want them onboard as I've seen some do. The outward ones have less personal issues, but it's still a question of the advantages vs disadvantages.

Someone recently posted a web cam from the Boardwalk of Oasis. Don't have the link handy but I'm sure someone will pipe up.

But yes to answer your question, I wish there were at least bridge cams so you could check out where you will in week or so!

ETA - oops see Grumpus and I were posting at the same time. Knew someone would have it.

Someone recently posted a web cam from the Boardwalk of Oasis. Don't have the link handy but I'm sure someone will pipe up.

But yes to answer your question, I wish there were at least bridge cams so you could check out where you will in week or so!

ETA - oops see Grumpus and I were posting at the same time. Knew someone would have it.

Looks pretty quiet on the boardwalk this AM.;)

PS. not sure whether any members remember, but a few years ago, CELEBRITY (interesting isn't it? - the "owners" of RCC) had great webcams and even a date/time stamp where you could see deck activity or a port or a sailaway or a docking over a 6 month span.... it was great. BUT, they just closed them all down.

It's the other way around. Celebrity was purchased by RCCL.

As far as I can tell, the only mainstream line with webcams on every ship is Princess. I love it. My wife and daughter took a 30-day trans-Pacific on Star Princess and I could watch them enter every port. Couple that with a satellite view on Google maps and I had a pretty good idea of what each port was like, where they docked, what the weather was, etc. Very useful.

I guess it's a matter of preference. I'm not a fan of them, and particularly wouldn't want them onboard as I've seen some do. The outward ones have less personal issues, but it's still a question of the advantages vs disadvantages.

yeah, I really don't wish to be captured during vacation and never follow their footage. would be wasted on me.

hi texasmunk....

don't know about cost.... the cameras are there anyway (for ship security to see what's going on)... they just need to link a few into the website.... take a "snapshot" every minute and so and transmit...

hi retiree,

I see your point, but most cams certainly aren't that accurate that you can see individual faces.... I agree with you there, but I'm mainly talking about "external" cams from the bridge so your friends and rels can share your holiday and see sea conditions and the far away ports that you dock and sailaway from.

I am thankful that they don't.

I wish Voyager did not have one.

When I am paying what is it

55 cents a minute, for internet service.

I would rather not share it with a webcam.

Even at 1 picture a minute.

Sorry, but that is opinion.

:cool:

:mad::mad: Apart from a camera in the promenade of VOYAGER, can anyone tell me why RCC don't have webcams around their huge ships? Don't tell me it's a security issue! Most ships have at least a bridgecam. There are even cruise lines with multiple cameras with different ship perspectives like port and starboard views, internet room views, aft views. This has to be good promo for a cruise line. Look at COSTA, CRYSTAL, HAPAG LLOYD, MSC.

My guess is they don't want to waste expensive bandwidth on a webcam. People already complain bitterly about slow internet speeds, why would you want to literally waste part of that bandwidth on an otherwise useless webcam.

hi retiree,

I see your point, but most cams certainly aren't that accurate that you can see individual faces.... I agree with you there, but I'm mainly talking about "external" cams from the bridge so your friends and rels can share your holiday and see sea conditions and the far away ports that you dock and sailaway from.

:o guess I didn't consider what footage they were gathering! hey, so long as I'm not being blasted across the internet with my glow in the dark white legs, have at it!

can't think of anyone that would want to watch our trip but I do understand researching your own trip or in the days before, checking weather or during storms.... yeah, ok, with ya.

I still don't think I would ever watch "because Billy and Judy are on a ship pulling into Portex!" If that's what people are into, groovy for them, s'ok by me. It just seems too much like sitting in their living room watching their vacation slides. no thanks.

As far as I can tell, the only mainstream line with webcams on every ship is Princess. I love it. My wife and daughter took a 30-day trans-Pacific on Star Princess and I could watch them enter every port. Couple that with a satellite view on Google maps and I had a pretty good idea of what each port was like, where they docked, what the weather was, etc. Very useful.

I agree. We looked at the Princess webcams daily in the weeks leading up to both our Alaska cruise on the Star Princess, and our Mexican Riviera cruise on the Sapphire Princess. We found them very useful in seeing where the ship docks in each port. It also got us super excited about our cruise. I wish Royal Caribbean would do the same.

As with most things that seem logical but aren't done... I suspect somewhere there's a lawyer who said 'no'. Maybe fear that they'll be recorded and used as proof of something against RCL. Why give the other side the evidence they need?

I'm also thinking of the thing that happens on some roller coaster rides. There's a long tradition of giving the camera a little extra to look at.

About cams in general: Many forms of transportation are saying that cams are not allowed. Too many minutes of video on the news from inside a plane with pax being kidnapped on the tarmac. Virgin America got that type of coverage today on the news. I'm sure if you got video of something going very badly on an RCL ship, and they saw you shooting the video, I bet you wouldn't leave the ship with it.

About the planes being held, sooner or later someone is going to call in a kidnapping to the FBI. You can wave FAA rules but sooner or later, a judge is going to say it's false imprisonment.

Ray

I beg to differ with you celebrity does not own RCCL it's the other way around RCCL aloso owns AZAMURA

Carnival has them too. Lynda

Archived