Veranda Door vs. The Sleeper Sofa ??

MysticalMagic

Our family of 4 is sailing for the first time on the Oosterdam (VD) to Alaska. We have some questions regarding the Veranda Door. Does the door swing into the room when you open it? And can this door open when the sleeper sofa is set up for sleeping?

I guess we were assuming we could sit out on the deck for a little while after the kids were in bed or in the morning with tea before they wake. Just wondering if this is really possible. :confused::(

Our family of 4 is sailing for the first time on the Oosterdam (VD) to Alaska. We have some questions regarding the Veranda Door. Does the door swing into the room when you open it? And can this door open when the sleeper sofa is set up for sleeping?

I guess we were assuming we could sit out on the deck for a little while after the kids were in bed or in the morning with tea before they wake. Just wondering if this is really possible. :confused::(

Had a VD on the Westerdam recently. If I recall the door swings into the room and if the sofa was extended it would be a factor. You could go to the foot of the sofa and then squeeze out the door. Drapes will also come into play. Can be done, but a minor pain to navigate. We did not use our sofa for sleeping, so this is my best guess.

Upon further reflection, KK is correct, the door swings outward, so it will be less of a pain.

Had a VD on the Westerdam recently. If I recall the door swings into the room and if the sofa was extended it would be a factor. You could go to the foot of the sofa and then squeeze out the door. Drapes will also come into play. Can be done, but a minor pain to navigate. We did not use our sofa for sleeping, so this is my best guess.

Door swings outward.

Door swings outward.

As Krazy Kruizers said the door swings outward and it is not only extremely heavy, but also spring loaded. Someone sent me a photo of the sofa bed open (I canot find the photo right now) and how limited the access was to the Verandah door. They had to climb over the sofa bed to get to the door.

Joanie

You will pretty much have to crawl over the opened sofa bed in order to get to the Veranda door on HAL.

If you need to use the sofa as additional bed space, the Veranda cabin layout on Costa is much better in that the sofa is in the inner part of the cabin rather than against the door. However, we prefer the overall HAL

product and ambiance of HAL to Costa and you may as well.

Archived