Upgrades only to specific passengers ?

NKG6002

Are upgrades given to people who book only thru Carnival or to anyone booking thru a TA ? Thanks in advance !! :)

Actually, they're only given to Scorpios. But the good news is that the "special people" changes monthly. I heard next month they're only upgrading Gingers. ;)

Actually, they're only given to Scorpios. But the good news is that the "special people" changes monthly. I heard next month they're only upgrading Gingers. ;)

Gingers?!? As in redheads, I mean if I have to dye my hair for an upgrade I'm outa here. When do Capricorns get theres? Oops, am I threadjacking here.

Free upgrades have always been "a big mystery".

In the past, folks who are on their first cruise got a free upgrade while others who cruised a lot did not.

The reason is TAs who book a lot of cruises with Carnival get free upgrades for their guests.

We got our first free upgrade in Nov 2008 after cruising with Carnival since 1982.

On our last cruise, we got a free upgrade from a 6B to an 8F....and we were told it was because our family are Milestone....

so who knows....

now the UPSELL fairy is not as mysterious.....we have received that call on many cruises....

Upgrades and even upsells are like the Unicorns of the cruise world. I'm Platinum and I've never gotten an upgrade of even an UPSELL!

I did one get a nice cabin when I booked a guarantee but that's it...

It's all a mystery...

:confused:

Uh-oh. If the gingers get wind of this the boats will be swarmed with them. Not cool.

Gingers?!? As in redheads, I mean if I have to dye my hair for an upgrade I'm outa here. When do Capricorns get theres? Oops, am I threadjacking here.

Ginger: redhair, fair skin, freckles. Reported also to not have souls.

Last year I booked a balcony near the middle of the ship. Thus was in august for a June sailing on the destiny. In September the ta called me and said I could switch to an aft for no additional charge. Because of cc I knew this was a huge upgrade and I took it. This was my first booking with the ta. She stated that she was checking promotions and saw the opportunity. Later, I went to make a final payment of about 200 dollars and found out there was a price drop that eliminated the need to make a final payment. Needless to say, I'm keeping this ta. This was only my 3rd cruise on carnival.

Out of 24 cruises with Carnival, 0 upgrades and 2 upsell calls, we did take the latest one because it was for a GS ON THE pride. We did have a conversation with our PVP and the person that called. Alot of things have to happen to get that call. What cabins are open that they are trying to fill and what you have booked. That means every cruise will be different for the calls. We were in a 9A and were offered a cat 11. Didn't do that one, we were happy with the 9A. We had a extended balcony on the pride so for the difference we took that one, we will never pay the going price for a GS cabin. Things just fell in place for that one. Both calls were 2 weeks from cruise date. So we will see what happens next Dec.

We have a Suite for the Imagination but not the Valor and thats #25 for us.

Actually they read all these threads and give them to the people who FLAME anyone whovever the least bit criticizes Carnival....Always remember that the beds are the best , the food is the best, the games on deck are the best , yada yada yada.....( I"m still waiting to hear from them ):rolleyes:

Upgrades and even upsells are like the Unicorns of the cruise world. I'm Platinum and I've never gotten an upgrade of even an UPSELL!

I did one get a nice cabin when I booked a guarantee but that's it...

It's all a mystery...

:confused:[/quote

Same thing here...been Platinum since the program started and have never gotten an upsell or upgrade call..... :(

yea well im just glad to be able to go on a cruise upgrade or not, not everyone gets this great opportunity!

Well, everyone has the opportunity. They wouldn't turn down anyone's money who could afford it. It's only a question of whether you can afford it or not.

Out of 27 Carnival cruises, we've been upgraded almost every time I buy TBA. We just got a FREE upgrade from inside to OV on "Miracle", but I've NEVER received an UpSell call. I do use a TA, and not a PVP, so I doubt that that has anything to do with it, especially, since my TA is an independent agent, and not part of a BIG agency. I truly believe it's just in the luck of the draw.

"SKY"

I've never had an upgrade call, but did get an upsell call in January before our Valor cruise. From Spa Deck 1110 to an OS somewhere midship, lower deck for $500 total. It was my 3rd Carnival cruise. Our first was free through Spirit Incentives for viewing a vacation club presentation. I booked the other 2 myself with a PVP.

We did not take the upsell, because through our roll call, we knew Carnival had offered the same Suite to two other families. One for $300 and one for $600. When I called them back and offered $300, she told me she had no ability to negotiate. When I mentioned the offer price differences, she said offers were set for each customer 'according to a formula'. Don't know what this magic formula is, but it can't bee booked with a TA, because we never have.

My upgrade was one cabin north. It was the cabin that was the first cabin in the next category next to the one that I had already booked.

It is like going to a ball game. You pay for a box seat and get the last row in front of the first row of the cheaper seat.

Out of 27 Carnival cruises, we've been upgraded almost every time I buy TBA. We just got a FREE upgrade from inside to OV on "Miracle", but I've NEVER received an UpSell call. I do use a TA, and not a PVP, so I doubt that that has anything to do with it, especially, since my TA is an independent agent, and not part of a BIG agency. I truly believe it's just in the luck of the draw.

"SKY"

You made a very good point that I usually "clarify".

90% of the time we also always get an "upgrade" at the time we book with our PVP.

(example: Pay for a 4A and get a 4C or pay for a 6A and get a 6D)

The free upgrade I am talking about is POST booking (a couple of weeks before you sail)....where we were upgraded from a 6B to an 8F.

Actually they read all these threads and give them to the people who FLAME anyone whovever the least bit criticizes Carnival....Always remember that the beds are the best , the food is the best, the games on deck are the best , yada yada yada.....( I"m still waiting to hear from them ):rolleyes:

How come I'm not always in a suite???:mad: Yer theory sucks!!!:p:D

Two things that I have just learned - upsells ARE negotiatable, ie. the price. I got a call offering to upsell from Cat 11 to Cat 12 (GS) on the Pride for our sailing in 2 weeks for a total of $300. I said I would do it for $200 instead of $300 and they agreed. The other thing - we booked our Cat 11, sleeps 3, almost a year ago, and there are just two of us. That is why they wanted to upsell us - so they could put:o three people in there.

Archived