Liquor Taken!

proudmomma

I can't believe I forgot to share this.. My DH and I brought 2 bottles of smart water bottles filled with vodka. Mine went through, his got taken and replaced with an orange note, saying sorry, we took it. :eek: So it seems to be like a totally random check.

Oh and to all those who thinks this is breaking the rules.. Trust me, I know and I usually obey rules of all kinds, although.. We still spent $400 on liquor for 4 days.. so they didn't miss out on our $. :p

(Oh this was on the Celebrity Century Western Carribean)

Was the luggage locked?

It is one thing to be called down to the "naughty" room and open your luggage for security to examine, but it is very different for them to rifle through your belongings when you are not present.

Was the luggage locked?

It is one thing to be called down to the "naughty" room and open your luggage for security to examine, but it is very different for them to rifle through your belongings when you are not present.

No, it wasn't locked. I should probably do this next time. Yeah my husband was very mad that they went through his stuff.

This is becoming prevalent as past posts relay. It'll be interesting if come the months after spring vacationers, if indeed they are doing the same.

Were you able to retrieve it in Miami? Some here say they are getting bottles of wine etc back at the end of the cruise at port. But those might just be the unopened bottles, not the fakes in water bottles.;)

Sorry, I will probably get some angry posts back, but if people would stop trying to fool the system they would not have anything to complain about. If the rule is 2 bottles of wine per stateroom, which, by the way, is very generous and liberal, it is 2 bottles of wine per stateroon, not 2 bottles of snuck on vodka. It is people who try to sneak on extra booze that will ruin it for everyone.

If you smuggle booze and they confiscate it, you really can't complain that they went thru your stuff. You leave yourself open for that option. I am amazed at the "it is okay to smuggle against the policy of the ship because I spent a lot of money on booze anyway.", thinking. So I guess if you don't want your stuff gone thru, don't put booze in your water bottles..

Connie

I'm interested in the response when the cruise lines choose someone to make an example of, and either deny boarding, or disembark them over the violation, without compensation (as is clearly a remedy available per the contract). I suspect about a half-dozen cases between RCCL and Celebrity would change the dynamic of this issue.

Considering the number of posts indicating the prevalence of the violations, I suspect the day is coming.

Harris

Denver, CO

If you smuggle booze and they confiscate it, you really can't complain that they went thru your stuff. You leave yourself open for that option. I am amazed at the "it is okay to smuggle against the policy of the ship because I spent a lot of money on booze anyway.", thinking. So I guess if you don't want your stuff gone thru, don't put booze in your water bottles..

Connie

So in other words you're OK with them rifling through your dainties even though they won't find any contraband, right?

So in other words you're OK with them rifling through your dainties even though they won't find any contraband, right?

You had better be. You agreed to let them when you chose to take the cruise:

"i. In the interests of safety and security, Passengers and their baggage are subject to inspection or monitoring electronically with or without the Passenger's consent or knowledge. "

Pretty much any time you enter private property, you are subject to search by the property owner. Of course you can refuse such a search, but then they can refuse you entry.

Harris

Denver, CO

Sorry, I will probably get some angry posts back, but if people would stop trying to fool the system they would not have anything to complain about. If the rule is 2 bottles of wine per stateroom, which, by the way, is very generous and liberal, it is 2 bottles of wine per stateroon, not 2 bottles of snuck on vodka. It is people who try to sneak on extra booze that will ruin it for everyone.

If I were to drink wine, I wouldn't have even thought of bringing liquor. But I don't, so therefore.. I brought my drink of choice. :p

If I were to drink wine, I wouldn't have even thought of bringing liquor. But I don't, so therefore.. I brought my drink of choice. :p

And because your drink of choice is NOT allowed, you got busted. It could have been worse, they could have denied you boarding. Personally I don't think it is worth it....

I'm interested in the response when the cruise lines choose someone to make an example of, and either deny boarding, or disembark them over the violation, without compensation (as is clearly a remedy available per the contract). I suspect about a half-dozen cases between RCCL and Celebrity would change the dynamic of this issue.

Considering the number of posts indicating the prevalence of the violations, I suspect the day is coming.

Harris

Denver, CO

If the line denied boarding, how would they make extra money on boze?. Sure they would make money on the cruise since they would probably not refund their fare, but so much for repeat buissness. I think they are fine with just taking the contraban. No one is going to be denied boarding.

Some who smuggle liquor on the ship, get totally wasted then fall overboard would probably be the first to sue the company. So they are protecting themselves against this type of thing.

Is that why they offer the "all you can drink" booze and beer packages? :confused:

Is that why they offer the "all you can drink" booze and beer packages? :confused:

If they're pouring, they can cut you off. From the Guest Alcohol Policy:

"Guests who violate any alcohol policies, (over consume, provide alcohol to people under age twentyone (21), demonstrate irresponsible behavior, or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check points or any other time), may be disembarked or not allowed to board, at their own expense, in accordance with our Guest Conduct Policy. Celebrity Cruises reserves the right to revoke or otherwise restrict drinking privileges of any guest, regardless of age."

If a bartender observes a person that may be a danger to themselves or to others around them, they can deny them the booze, and have security get involved, if necessary. If someone overindulges in their room, then tries climbing down the side of the ship to the balcony of the stateroom below, Celebrity has no control over the situation.

I've seen some pretty drunk people on cruises and never seen a bartender refuse to make them a drink.

I think its a far and judgemental leap of faith to say people who smuggle on booze would probably be the first to slap the line with a frivolous lawsuit. However, this topic of booze smuggling has proven to be one with strong opinions on either side, so that kind of post didn't surprise me :P

Has anyone successfully tried putting vodka or another spirit in a screw cap wine bottle and putting a foil cap on it.

Just wondering like, it's just that a friend of mine said he might try it, I in no way encourage such behavior

I've seen some pretty drunk people on cruises and never seen a bartender refuse to make them a drink.

I think its a far and judgemental leap of faith to say people who smuggle on booze would probably be the first to slap the line with a frivolous lawsuit. However, this topic of booze smuggling has proven to be one with strong opinions on either side, so that kind of post didn't surprise me :P

Just ask RCL how much of a settlement they had to pay the young widow. He smuggled the booze fell off the balcony railing, she was too drunk to know he was missing until the next day, big payday. This is all a matter of record.

I'm just wondering how the cruise lines are still in business.

All the complaints are that the cruise lines won't make any money if people smuggle booze on, yet, people have been doing it forever, cruises are dirt cheap, and still the companies are turning profits, yes, they would make MORE money if people only bought drinks from them, but you know what, my vacation plans do not include making MORE money large corporations.

I can't believe I forgot to share this.. My DH and I brought 2 bottles of smart water bottles filled with vodka. Mine went through, his got taken and replaced with an orange note, saying sorry, we took it. :eek: So it seems to be like a totally random check.

Oh and to all those who thinks this is breaking the rules.. Trust me, I know and I usually obey rules of all kinds, although.. We still spent $400 on liquor for 4 days.. so they didn't miss out on our $. :p

(Oh this was on the Celebrity Century Western Carribean)

How desperate sounding. Sad.

Archived