Liquor Taken!

proudmomma

I'm wondering if all the people complaining about liquor being brought on board bring camera's with them. You do realize taking your OWN pictures is causing the cruise line money and jacking the price up for all of us don't you? The cruise line figures on selling those pictures to all it's guests, it figures it in it's bottom line.

Also, please don't bother cruising if you don't expect to gamble some, they figure that in the bottom line as well.

While we are on that point, make sure you don't only eat in the free places, everyone dining at least once in the premiums is (you guessed it) in the cruise lines bottom line.

Just a point of semantics, someone earlier pointed out that if you want to break the law and bring booze on board, blah blah blah, a cruise lines rules are not laws, you cannot be arrested for bringing on booze.

Just a point of semantics, someone earlier pointed out that if you want to break the law and bring booze on board, blah blah blah, a cruise lines rules are not laws, you cannot be arrested for bringing on booze.

No...it's not breaking a "state-federal law"....it IS however breaking this company's rules and when you accepted their contract you, at least theoretically, agreed to abide by their rules.....why is that so hard to understand??????

I'm wondering if all the people complaining about liquor being brought on board bring camera's with them. You do realize taking your OWN pictures is causing the cruise line money and jacking the price up for all of us don't you? The cruise line figures on selling those pictures to all it's guests, it figures it in it's bottom line.

Also, please don't bother cruising if you don't expect to gamble some, they figure that in the bottom line as well.

While we are on that point, make sure you don't only eat in the free places, everyone dining at least once in the premiums is (you guessed it) in the cruise lines bottom line.

LOL, Glenn29. You're pretty awesome :D I like you!

No...it's not breaking a "state-federal law"....it IS however breaking this company's rules and when you accepted their contract you, at least theoretically, agreed to abide by their rules.....why is that so hard to understand??????

Well Gracie, that's just the type of guy I am, a rule breaker, a rebel, a man living on the edge. I also on occasion will try and use an expired coupon, I've made personal copies at work, sometimes I even sneak snacks into the movies (egad hopefully the FBI isn't monitoring this thread). If you live such a pristine life that you never break a rule or two, good for you, but there is a vast difference between breaking a company rule and breaking a law.

Secondly, the main point of my post was that if I sneak a bottle of booze on board it's not going to bankrupt the company and more then you taking your own photos, booking your own excursions outside of the cruise or not drinking at all.

I actually don't drink very much and am for the most part a follower of rules, so to be called out on something as foolish as this just seems, well, childish.

Remember, don't throw stones if you live in a glass house, I don't know everyone on this board, but I GUARANTEE there is not one person on here that has never broken a rule.

LOL, Rick, like I said before.. GET A LIFE. Yes, the drinks were $10 each, FYI. And no, I'm not a light weight. So I remember everything you idiot. Jeesh, you are probably a 39 year old dead beat dad with nothing to live for. I really feel sorry for you. :cool:

I am the Dad of 3 cats...2 hurricane Katrina rescue cats and one from an employee of mine that couldn't care for him properly. I love them very much. While no need to respond, please feel no sympathy for my life. We are actually very fortunate.

The picture of me having a pineapple drink (as in my avatar) was last year when we had the Garden Villa (that is only part of the living room)---at over 5,000 square feet (3 bed/3.5 baths), the largest, most luxurious room on any cruise ship in the world. Oh...and the alcohol...whatever you want...is included! Try it...you'll love it.

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2968026640104776953xFRCLG

Don't worry. They'll be getting that other one soon enough. :rolleyes:

Now that Obama care passed I think they will want more than the other penny :mad: ... But that's a differant discusion for another web site..:rolleyes:

I so do like this thread.... some of you are tooooo funny... and some need to maybe try decaf..... and some to "get a life" :eek: LMAO.....

Like I stated before.... what 1 person smuggles on board is NON of OUR business.....

BTW OP thanks for the info, I hope you had a great cruise and on your next cruise to find a way to get BOTH bottles on..... If that's what you want ;) ... as for me.... its non of my business :D

The reason the cruise lines don't go bankrupt from people smuggling on booze is because they KEEP RAISING THE DRINK PRICES. The people that obey the rules and don't smuggle booze on board now have to pay higher drink prices because others feel it's their "RIGHT" to smuggle booze on board.

The cruise lines aren't being hurt, but other paying passengers are.

The reason the cruise lines don't go bankrupt from people smuggling on booze is because they KEEP RAISING THE DRINK PRICES. The people that obey the rules and don't smuggle booze on board now have to pay higher drink prices because others feel it's their "RIGHT" to smuggle booze on board.

Come on, drink prices are going up no matter how much is smuggled on. If they were making up for smuggled booze they'd be a lot more then they are now. Drinks are the same price over market (what you would pay off ship) as they have been for the past 20 years, there has been no exponential increase.

You people act like these cruise lines are cutting things so close to the vest that they have to raise prices because someone brought on a $20 bottle of vodka, be serious.

My last cruise I didn't drink at all, does that cost you more too? or for that matter you should be giving evil eyes to every child and non drinker on a ship as they are making you pay more. I'm sorry, I'm not buying it for one second.

Come on, drink prices are going up no matter how much is smuggled on. If they were making up for smuggled booze they'd be a lot more then they are now. Drinks are the same price over market (what you would pay off ship) as they have been for the past 20 years, there has been no exponential increase.

You people act like these cruise lines are cutting things so close to the vest that they have to raise prices because someone brought on a $20 bottle of vodka, be serious.

My last cruise I didn't drink at all, does that cost you more too? or for that matter you should be giving evil eyes to every child and non drinker on a ship as they are making you pay more. I'm sorry, I'm not buying it for one second.

I second this motion....:D

I don't think proudmomma (hi there, fellow cruiser! :)) was looking for approval or disapproval on what they did. She was just trying to pass on info to other future cruisers scouring these threads.

By the way, proudmomma, Celebrity just called me literally 2 minutes ago as a follow-up to my cruise questionnaire! I'm in the middle of trying to book another trip in the Fall!

This is the silliest argument I have heard on this topic. If that's true, how on EARTH is Princess cruise lines surviving, where you can bring on as much booze as you like. I just sailed on them a couple of months ago and their booze prices were right on track with Celebrity's. And please don't tell me they gouge customers in other ways: their fares and shore excurions were similar if not cheaper, and they gave free internet/wifi to anyone staying in a suite, which I would *love* Celebrity to do.

One thing you guys need to realize is some people who can't smuggle on booze will choose not to drink at all, rather than pay $12+ for a speciality drink or $8 for a badly made margarita. So the cruise line loses nothing either way.

Anyways, this thread has turn rather ugly and rather personal so perhaps we all should walk away before the flames get even worse.

Well Gracie, that's just the type of guy I am, a rule breaker, a rebel, a man living on the edge. I also on occasion will try and use an expired coupon, I've made personal copies at work, sometimes I even sneak snacks into the movies (egad hopefully the FBI isn't monitoring this thread). If you live such a pristine life that you never break a rule or two, good for you, but there is a vast difference between breaking a company rule and breaking a law.

Secondly, the main point of my post was that if I sneak a bottle of booze on board it's not going to bankrupt the company and more then you taking your own photos, booking your own excursions outside of the cruise or not drinking at all.

I actually don't drink very much and am for the most part a follower of rules, so to be called out on something as foolish as this just seems, well, childish.

Remember, don't throw stones if you live in a glass house, I don't know everyone on this board, but I GUARANTEE there is not one person on here that has never broken a rule.

Look I could care less what anybody does...I'm not throwing stones at all...simply stating the fact that if you break the rule and get caught you should be prepared for the penalty, whatever it is....If you've read this thread then you know I've already confessed to my speeding ticket....so I can hardly throw stones... just pointing out the obvious...no need for your hostility...

Look I could care less what anybody does...I'm not throwing stones at all...simply stating the fact that if you break the rule and get caught you should be prepared for the penalty, whatever it is....If you've read this thread then you know I've already confessed to my speeding ticket....so I can hardly throw stones... just pointing out the obvious...no need for your hostility...

I do apologize for any hostility, not my real intention, sorry about that.

I do agree with you, anyone smuggling on stuff must be prepared to lose it, it's really all part of the game.

What I got from the OP is that it's a good idea to split the smuggled liquor into separate luggage to increase your odds of getting some through.

If they charged a fair markup on the liquor bottle in the cabin, I'd do it. They buy it at wholesale and sell it for twice RETAIL. Therefore IMHO, $100 for a bottle of mid line Scotch is greedy. I also like Bourbon but they don't stock my brand in the program. They only offer sour mash. :eek:

I had already obtained my Rum Runners. I have friends that just got back from a cruise before mine so I loaned them the RRs. They passed through with flying colors. ;)

So those that don't like it, save me the pious position. I'll be happy to take the consequences if they're discovered. However it's my understanding that if liquor is confiscated you get it back on the last night before debarkation. So what's the down side in trying?

You drive in the left lane going exactly the speed limit because that's the law. I'll go around you on the right about 10 miles faster because I can. :D

So those that don't like it, save me the pious position. I'll be happy to take the consequences if they're discovered. However it's my understanding that if liquor is confiscated you get it back on the last night before debarkation. So what's the down side in trying?

Just so you know if they confiscate liquor not in it's original packaging they will throw it away. Truthfully I'm not sure I'd want it back since you wouldn't know if someone "modified" it for the week or so it is away from you.

Just so you know if they confiscate liquor not in it's original packaging they will throw it away. Truthfully I'm not sure I'd want it back since you wouldn't know if someone "modified" it for the week or so it is away from you.

They actually throw away (or so they say) any liquor that they confiscate. I wrote about this in a thread when we got back from the Solstice two weeks ago. It doesn't matter if it's sealed or not, you will not get it back.

Drinks are a big part of the bottom line. Just skip cocktails the next time you go out to your favorite restaurant. You will save a bundle. (Unless you smuggle in a bottle!)

A really interesting comment!

Do you think that the folks who "smuggle" booze onto the ships also bring their own hip flask when going to a restaurant (non-BYO) at home? Ask the waiter for a glass and ice and maybe a mixer, then when nobody is looking mix up their own cocktail at the table?

A really interesting comment!

Do you think that the folks who "smuggle" booze onto the ships also bring their own hip flask when going to a restaurant (non-BYO) at home? Ask the waiter for a glass and ice and maybe a mixer, then when nobody is looking mix up their own cocktail at the table?

This is a completely different situation. I can tell you I take my own alcohol when staying in a hotel room.

This is the silliest argument I have heard on this topic. If that's true, how on EARTH is Princess cruise lines surviving, where you can bring on as much booze as you like. I just sailed on them a couple of months ago and their booze prices were right on track with Celebrity's. And please don't tell me they gouge customers in other ways: their fares and shore excurions were similar if not cheaper, and they gave free internet/wifi to anyone staying in a suite, which I would *love* Celebrity to do...
I can't testify what Princess' enforcement policy is, but right in paragraph 5 of your contract [ http://www.princess.com/legal/passage_contract/index.jsp ] with them, Princess clearly states:

Passengers agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind (except wine and champagne) on board for consumption.

Thom

This topic has been discussed over and over and over since I've been a member of these boards. I personally don't care one whit about who smuggles alcohol. It's a matter of consequences. If I choose to smuggle booze and get caught - my bad - I knew the rules or I wouldn't have been "smuggling". If you choose to bring your own booze aboard just understand that it might be confiscated, if it isn't then by all means enjoy! It also doesn't matter to me what the cruiseline's reasons are for confiscating liquor - the end result is the same no matter what.

• 1 month later...

Archived