Hotels in Dover

joan24

We are thinking about staying one night in Dover pre cruise. Has anyone stayed there and if so where did you stay. We were there for one day several years ago and I'm not sure about staying there. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Joan

When we embarked from Dover a few years ago, we stayed two pre-cruise nights in Canterbury-- at the Canterbury Cathedral Lodge. The rooms were simple and small, but impeccably clean and comfortable. We loved the town and of course the cathedral. (Gorgeous music.) We knew that we'd be hiring a private transfer to the ship, so we just had the driver drop us off at Canterbury after our flight, and then pick us up two days later to go on to Dover, which is close-by. We found Dover not interesting, though it was definitely a kick to see those "white cliffs" for the first time.

When you are back, can you come back and tell us about the hotel, what you did in Dover, how you got to the cruise terminal, did you eat at the hotel.

We plan on taking the National Express from London and seeing the castle while we are in Dover for a 1/2 day per cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

The Premier Inn near Dover Eastern Docks is of fairly recent construction and enjoys reasonably good reviews. Ask for a room at the front when you check in. The rooms at the back adjoin a dual-carriageway (the road from the docks and thus busy at intervals).

From this hotel you can look across the harbour and see the ships at the cruise terminal which is a mile or so away.

Dover Castle is located nearby and is spectacular in many ways. If you have three hours or so to kill it would be worth your while paying it a visit.

The Premier Inn near Dover Eastern Docks is of fairly recent construction and enjoys reasonably good reviews. Ask for a room at the front when you check in. The rooms at the back adjoin a dual-carriageway (the road from the docks and thus busy at intervals).

From this hotel you can look across the harbour and see the ships at the cruise terminal which is a mile or so away.

Dover Castle is located nearby and is spectacular in many ways. If you have three hours or so to kill it would be worth your while paying it a visit.

Totally agree... ask for rooms at the front.

If you have to stay in Dover, this is probably the only place I would suggest.

If you have a little more time, then stay in Canterbury instead.

Does the Canterbury Cathedral Lodge have air conditioning? We always travel in the spring and fall, but our cruise is in mid July. I never worried about air conditioning since we never really needed it before. We live in South Florida and we're really dependent on ac. Could you tell me what transfer car service you used from London to Canterbury. Thanks.

Joan

Does the Canterbury Cathedral Lodge have air conditioning? We always travel in the spring and fall, but our cruise is in mid July. I never worried about air conditioning since we never really needed it before. We live in South Florida and we're really dependent on ac. Could you tell me what transfer car service you used from London to Canterbury. Thanks.

Joan

A car service we used from London to Dover-- they also go to Canterbury -- is www.airport-connect.org

I tend to be a little(?) obsessive about planning for trips. I emailed Canterbury Catheral Lodge for July 14, 2011. They are completely booked due to a golf tournament in the area. I may have to rethink Canterbury and go to Dover. I asked the res agent for suggestions. She's been wonderful about emailing answers to questions. Any one else have a favorite in Canterbury? If we can't stay there, I'm sure we'll be happy in Dover for our 24 hours there.

Joan

I tend to be a little(?) obsessive about planning for trips. I emailed Canterbury Catheral Lodge for July 14, 2011. They are completely booked due to a golf tournament in the area. I may have to rethink Canterbury and go to Dover. I asked the res agent for suggestions. She's been wonderful about emailing answers to questions. Any one else have a favorite in Canterbury? If we can't stay there, I'm sure we'll be happy in Dover for our 24 hours there.

Joan

Check the Premier in Dover -- the one on the waterfront. It's pretty new, and is considered "better" in the area. With Canterbury being so close, though, it may be that they're full too, even this far out!

If the hotels you have been looking for are full, the nearest next alternatives are:

Folkestone

Ashford

There is nothing particularly touristy in either area to see, but you should be able to find rooms in either place.

Premierinn have hotels all over the place (there are 2 in Ashford and one on the outskirts) or, a bit lower down the scale is Travelodge, which again have lots of venues dotted around.

Joan

HI Joan

check out the holiday inn express Canterbury.It is 4 miles out of the city centre so would require a taxi or bus to get into the centre but we're staying there the night before the cruise as an alternative to Folkestone or Dover which we've stayed before and to be honest don't warrant repeat visits

bsquare12,

Since Canterbury is ruled out for my 1 night stay July 14, 2011 because of a golf tournament, and Dover doesn't seem to be what I want, do you have any suggestions for a nice inn or hotel out of these towns but not too far from Dover. That was definitely a long sentence! Are there any really nice inns in nearby towns that actually have a little town with restaurants or shops. I really don't want to stay in London pre cruise since we'll be staying a couple of nights post cruise. Early booking fever is in high gear and after the golf tournament in Canterbury, I'm obsessing about finding someplace with some interest to stay 15 months from now. Crazy, yes I know. I think that I'm afficted with the horrible "booking as early as I can" disease. Thanks for any advice. I really do appreciate it and my husband will be so relieved so he doesn't have to hear my Canterbury story again.

Joan

Don't rule Canterbury out yet! ;) Lots of sites don't seem to show availability yet as it's over a year to go. The golf is actually being held at Sandwich.

Look at bookdirectrooms dot com and type in Canterbury.............a couple of hotels came up with availability.

My favourite would be Grove Ferry Inn. It's a beautiful place in a delightful setting. About 6 miles from the centre of Canterbury. You could even take a boat trip into Canterbury. :) It only has 6 bedrooms but with new owners is offering an excellent deal of £60 a room per night including full breakfast!

Good luck in your search!

Mrs TW

Thank you so much for the link. The Grove Ferry Inn looks great but with no car we'll probably book Magnolia House. Both places have availablity. Some of the hotels in Canterbury such as Canterbury Catherdral Lodge and ABode told me that they were full due to the golf tournament. They must just block out rooms during the event.

Joan

bsquare12,

Since Canterbury is ruled out for my 1 night stay July 14, 2011 because of a golf tournament, and Dover doesn't seem to be what I want, do you have any suggestions for a nice inn or hotel out of these towns but not too far from Dover. That was definitely a long sentence! Are there any really nice inns in nearby towns that actually have a little town with restaurants or shops. I really don't want to stay in London pre cruise since we'll be staying a couple of nights post cruise. Early booking fever is in high gear and after the golf tournament in Canterbury, I'm obsessing about finding someplace with some interest to stay 15 months from now. Crazy, yes I know. I think that I'm afficted with the horrible "booking as early as I can" disease. Thanks for any advice. I really do appreciate it and my husband will be so relieved so he doesn't have to hear my Canterbury story again.

Joan

Booking early is not a disease... it's a necessity. Today, I was really cheesed off to find out I cannot get a balcony cabin on the cruise I want in August 2011..!! So.. I have to have NO balcony.. or not go..!

It looks like you found somewhere to stay, but if you still need some possibilities, just post and I'll dig up some other options.

Beverley x

Thanks so much, Beverley,

We booked Magnolia House in Canterbury, which really looks nice. It's on a residential street and is about a ten minute walk to the main area. It never ceases to amaze me, even after all the years I've been on CC, how amazing the other members are. Now all I need is a hotel in London and driver LOL. That's another search. Thanks again everyone.

Joan

We booked Magnolia House in Canterbury, which really looks nice. It's on a residential street and is about a ten minute walk to the main area. It never ceases to amaze me, even after all the years I've been on CC, how amazing the other members are. Now all I need is a hotel in London and driver LOL. That's another search. Thanks again everyone.

Joan

I just looked at Magnolia House - it looks really pretty - full of character and charm.

You'll love Canterbury. I live about 15-20 mins from there, and it really is a lovely place to go. It's got lovely little streets, the Cathedral, shops (both big and small).

There is a theatre there too (The Marlow), you could check to see if anything is on there that coincides with your trip.

There are absolutely loads of lovely little places to eat in Canterbury ranging from independent places to chains.

Not sure if you've ever been to Belgium, but in Canterbury there is a restaurant called Cafe Belge which does fantastic mussels. We often go there for lunch:D:D part of a small chain, but really lovely food and FANTASTIC belgian beer according to my husband!

Joan

Joan...............glad to hear that you've booked somewhere! ;)

I've often received or read excellent tips and ideas on this site so it's always nice to be able to offer help! :D

My mum lives in Canterbury and I'm not too far away. It's a lovely city just to wander around. I'm sure it will make a great start to your holiday! :)

Archived