Gratuities on RCL

I am considering booking a cruise with Royal Caribbean and am a bit confused about the gratuities... Having only cruised with Thomson before, who don't have gratuities, I am unclear as to how it works and whether it is best to prepay or settle onboard.

If you choose not to prepay, is it a fixed amount that is added to your onboard account, or does the amount vary depending on what you do/how much you spend on board?

Thanks.

RCI tips are $9.75 per person per day. If you don't pre-pay them, you can have them added to your on board account once aboard, or pay them in cash. Either way, you will be given envelopes to hand over to the tipped crewmembers. If pre-paid, or if added to your on board account, you'll be given paper vouchers to put in the envelopes.

I see, so there's no difference in the amount you pay, it's just whether you choose to pay before or at the end of the cruise?

Thanks.

Gratuities, other than those automatically added to things like bar tabs, are technically optional, so you can choose to pay in cash, rather than prepay or add to your account (at least you could last time I cruised). But if you choose to either prepay or add to your account onboard, the amounts are the same. If you pay cash, it's whatever you want to pay, but as these employees depend primarily on gratuities for their pay, I would recommend tipping at least the recommended amount, unless you have serious service issues.

I have a question on tips as well. I am going to be in a JS, should my prepaid tips be at the suite level or the standard cabin level. My understanding there is no suite attendant for JS so tipping should eb at the standard level. Thanks in advance.

RCI tips are $9.75 per person per day. If you don't pre-pay them, you can have them added to your on board account once aboard, or pay them in cash. Either way, you will be given envelopes to hand over to the tipped crewmembers. If pre-paid, or if added to your on board account, you'll be given paper vouchers to put in the envelopes.

$12.00 per person per day if staying in a GS cabin or higher.:D The suggested gratuity for the cabin attendant goes to $5.75pp per day.

I have a question on tips as well. I am going to be in a JS, should my prepaid tips be at the suite level or the standard cabin level. My understanding there is no suite attendant for JS so tipping should eb at the standard level. Thanks in advance.

The suggested amount for a JS is the $3.50pp per day.

Hi, I have selected 'My Time Dinning' and therefore my gratuities are pre paid, I would like to know whether this covers all the staff that I would need to tip or are there other tips to be made, room service for example.

I know about the 15% on drinks ( although I read in a thread that the 15% had been dropped,True or not?) but was wondering whether in reality further tipping is expected, is it considered an insult not to tip further? I will be cruising with my two teenagers, we have an inside cabin and I would like to have a true picture of what funds will be required. I Don't want to be considered a 'cheapskate Brit' but nor am I in a position to be 'Flash' simply would like to do the right/proper thing.

Hi' date=' I have selected 'My Time Dinning' and therefore my gratuities are pre paid, I would like to know whether this covers all the staff that I would need to tip or are there other tips to be made, room service for example. [/size']

Yes. All the people you tip at the end of the cruise are covered (waiter, assis. waiter, head waiter, room attendant).

You'll need to budget for tipping room service, normally a dollar or two for snacks and 5 for full meal seems to be the going rate, if you order in the early hours of the morning tip is auto added i think its about 4 dollars. Spa services will have extra on, you know about the bar bills, couple of dollars for porters to take bags. Can't think of anything else.

Hi' date=' I have selected 'My Time Dinning' and therefore my gratuities are pre paid, I would like to know whether this covers all the staff that I would need to tip or are there other tips to be made, room service for example. [/size']

I know about the 15% on drinks ( although I read in a thread that the 15% had been dropped,True or not?) but was wondering whether in reality further tipping is expected, is it considered an insult not to tip further? I will be cruising with my two teenagers, we have an inside cabin and I would like to have a true picture of what funds will be required. I Don't want to be considered a 'cheapskate Brit' but nor am I in a position to be 'Flash' simply would like to do the right/proper thing.

Yes. All the people you tip at the end of the cruise are covered (waiter, assis. waiter, head waiter, room attendant).

While I have to confirm what Paul said there´s one thing you asked about that is not covered. It´s everything covered with your tips besides room service. If you order from room service you should tip the people as they are not included in the positions you prepaid your tips for.

On another note towards room service, there is a charge for roomservice during the night time. I don´t know the exact time, something like midnight to 5am or so. This charge includes the tip, but during other times where rooms ervice is free a tip would be the thing to do.

As for the 15% on bar bills I don´t think they are discontinued. The only I have heard that on sailings out of the UK they sometimes have raised the prices to built in the 15% and not have them on the bill as an add on. This is just hearsay though.

In addition to the per diem tip, there are separate tips automatically added to the bills for bar services (both alcoholic beverages and soda) and spa/beauty salon services.

You'll need to budget for tipping room service, normally a dollar or two for snacks and 5 for full meal seems to be the going rate, if you order in the early hours of the morning tip is auto added i think its about 4 dollars. Spa services will have extra on, you know about the bar bills, couple of dollars for porters to take bags. Can't think of anything else.

When did they start adding the tip automatically for spa services? I don't recall seeing that on previous cruises.

IMO it's allways best to tip at the end of your cruise, pre paying tips will eventually lower the quality of service.Just as if you went out for dinner,good service good tip!!!!!! Service first tip after!!!!!! We have have allways had good service on rccl but I'm concerned that if everybody prepayed there tips, service would suffer.

Thank you so much for all the answers, very good of you all to take the time:)

If I'm getting this correctly, tipping is done at the end via Little envelopes for both prepayers and none prepayers. Room service needs tipping (thanks for guidance on amounts)and presumably a little extra for anybody exceptional (would that also be done at the end in cash in the envelopes along with the voucher things?)

Do people generally leave it at the added 15% at the bar or do they tip in cash as well?

In regards to addition tipping on the bar bill...I would look at the amount of the tip on the bill...if it is a decent amount....$2.00+ I would let it stand (we only ever ordered drinks for two of us) if it looked a little low I would top it up. Mostly I let it stand. Though I found out once my husband had a couple of beers he was adding $3 to every round, after that I bought all the drinks ;-)

Hi Tummysmummy

I'm guessing you're from the UK. It can sometimes be cheaper (or more expensive) to prepay the tips. They are converted from the $ to £ at a rate set months ago. We prepayed ours for our cruise (next week:)) and have saved a bit on the exchange rate. We Always prepay and so far its worked out OK for us.

Kay

I am considering booking a cruise with Royal Caribbean and am a bit confused about the gratuities... Having only cruised with Thomson before, who don't have gratuities, I am unclear as to how it works and whether it is best to prepay or settle onboard.

If you choose not to prepay, is it a fixed amount that is added to your onboard account, or does the amount vary depending on what you do/how much you spend on board?

Thanks.

http://cruisetip.tpkeller.com/

This should have the informations you want as to amounts. If you choose to prepay it will be added to your shipboard account. RCL will lprovide a form to request prepayment. Some lines do it as a daily entry to your account.

I am just wondering why one can pre-pay tips in advance, for service you had not yet recieved. I was under the impression that in USA people were rewarded for the service they provided by tipping, and this is after the service had been provided not before. E.g leave some money on the table at a resturant. Where is the incentive to provide good service if you get the tip regardless. I am happy to tip at the going rate but only after a full assessment of the services provided and I will tip accordingly. hey maybe it is an Australian thing but I think great service = great tip, poor service = poor tip. is it just me or do others have a thought on this?

I am just wondering why one can pre-pay tips in advance, for service you had not yet recieved. I was under the impression that in USA people were rewarded for the service they provided by tipping, and this is after the service had been provided not before. E.g leave some money on the table at a resturant. Where is the incentive to provide good service if you get the tip regardless. I am happy to tip at the going rate but only after a full assessment of the services provided and I will tip accordingly. hey maybe it is an Australian thing but I think great service = great tip, poor service = poor tip. is it just me or do others have a thought on this?

Hi livingstone :)

When we booked our cruise our TA included the gratuities, we didn't have a choice. We don't mind though and we would have tipped even if it wasn't pre-paid.

Having said that, it would be REALLY nice to hear from our TA again as we are supposed to leave in 3 weeks...and have NO documents :(

It´s a hot discussed topic on the boards and you´ll get many different opinions on this. So here is mine.

With the tip on a cruise ship being the actual salary of the employee I have no problem with prepaying my tips. The recommended amount would be my base tip anyway. To reduce this tip it would have to be non-existant service. Good and excellent service is rewarded on top of the recommended amount by me. JMO, YMMV.

Archived