cruise alone. Good or bad

jenndun

My kids will be with their dad for Christmas until the 28th this year. Since my divorce when the kids are gone for holidays I hate being around family. They are always saying how sorry they are for the kids being gone and how hard it is. I am thinking about skipping the family stuff this year and going on a 7day. It would be just me unless I can find someone else to go. Is it a good or bad thing to crusie alone. Can I book two people and then go alone if I don't find anyone to go with me. Will they charge me more when I get to port. Can I book if I don't have a name for the second person. It is cheaper to book two then one person. On the other hand if I book one and then find someone who wants to go can I change it to two and get the rest of the money in obc or refunded.

Thanks

My kids will be with their dad for Christmas until the 28th this year. Since my divorce when the kids are gone for holidays I hate being around family. They are always saying how sorry they are for the kids being gone and how hard it is. I am thinking about skipping the family stuff this year and going on a 7day. It would be just me unless I can find someone else to go. Is it a good or bad thing to crusie alone. Can I book two people and then go alone if I don't find anyone to go with me. Will they charge me more when I get to port. Can I book if I don't have a name for the second person. It is cheaper to book two then one person. On the other hand if I book one and then find someone who wants to go can I change it to two and get the rest of the money in obc or refunded.

Thanks

Only you can decide if it's good or bad.....But.......I just booked a cruise all by myself......I decided I needed some "Me" time also....Here's what I decided to do after some advice from some cruising friends.....I booked a 1A stateroom, which has one lower and one upper bunk....The fare was 150% more......But I was told if I found someone who wanted to go with me, then my fare would drop back down to the regular fare and the 2nd person would pay whatever was current at the time I booked...

I'm really looking forward to my trip all by myself...

Sharon

Go for it! I've done two solo cruises and getting ready for my 3rd. I've cruised with and without friends and I have to say that it's easier to meet lots of people when traveling solo because you don't have th other person to talk to all the time so you'll find yourself chatting with other cruisers more often. It's also great to have the chance to go and do whatever you want whenever you want. Want to go to breakfast early? No problem! Want to call it an early night? Yep -can do that too without checking with anyone else.

I say go solo and share the cabin with no one. It is all going to depend on how picky you are with your cabin choice. If you don't care what kind of cabin, see if there is any 1A's left and you'll pay 150% only, now a balcony will cost you 200%, but if you don't care then go for it...

I have done seven solo cruises and it is the best way to go, it isn't cheap, but escaping and doing as you please is well worth the price!

All I can say is how sorry I am for your divorce. Been there twice and it's not easy . . . especially where children are involved. I've been cruising solo since my last divorce in 1995 and I love it. You will not be alone . . . it is so easy to make friends on a cruise. Now that my son is 33, I go visit him for the holidays but there was about five or six years when I was alone (he'd spend Thanksgiving with me and Christmas with his daddy and step-mother). It's nice to be with family over the holidays but sometimes . . . it's just as nice to be on a cruise.

I've sailed solo a number of times and never had a bad experience. I met tons of new folks and always had a great time.

You can book a cabin as a solo... no problem but you can't book a second as 'to be announced.' If you elect to add another person to your cabin your cabin before you sail you'll need to pay the additional taxes, etc. but that's about it!!

Do it! You'll have a fantastic time!

:)

book a 1A cabin. and GO FOR IT. if you book a tour thru carnival you'll have other people to do the tour with, talk to people and get a chance to talk to them, go to the show's. as you can see it doesnt matter if you get stuck traveling alone. that way if you do have someone that can go with you, then you can still have them in a 1a cabin. my friend and i did the 1a on the triumph last june we had the one at the front of the ship so we had a twin and the couch. the 1a's are better priced than the std inside cabin

...... Is it a good or bad thing to crusie alone. Thanks

Hi Jenn. About half my cruises have been solo, and I love it. Not trying to meet anyone, just enjoy my ALONE time. I chat w/lots of folks during the cruise. I love the peace and quiet of my cabin, and the fun all over the ship.

The only thing I do dislike is the supplement of 150%, but I usually get a 1A (with portholes), and like that arrangement just fine.

As to your other questions, I'd go along w/Mach's comments.:)

Most of my cruises have been solos, others my sister was with me, or I had friends onboard. Many years ago, after I took my first 'real' vacation, to the Caribbean, one of my cousins asked how I could travel alone. From her point of view, it would really be scary. My answer was, 'It's 100% better than not going at all!" EM

Thanks everyone. I really think I might just go ahead and book it. I think I will wait until after my may cruise so I will be a past guest. Hopefully it will get me a discount. Or can I book while I am on the may cruise and get a better deal then online? So 1A portholes are best for one person? I'd love a balcony but the cost is over twice as much as a 1A. Okay. I'm already addicted to planning cruises and my first one is not until May. Just planned a friend one for may a couple of months ago and I am planning this solo one for christmas and a multi generation family for next summer. Wow

Thanks everyone. I really think I might just go ahead and book it. I think I will wait until after my may cruise so I will be a past guest. Hopefully it will get me a discount. Or can I book while I am on the may cruise and get a better deal then online? So 1A portholes are best for one person? I'd love a balcony but the cost is over twice as much as a 1A. Okay. I'm already addicted to planning cruises and my first one is not until May. Just planned a friend one for may a couple of months ago and I am planning this solo one for christmas and a multi generation family for next summer. Wow

I agree with everyone else and will add to join your Roll Call. Also, there are only a limited number of 1A's with port holes, on certain ships and they book quickly. Look at the deck plans, they're usually on the Main deck in front and if they're not listed call to check availability.

My 1st solo is planeed for May, but I've already booked 3 more. I KNOW that I'll enjoy the "ME" time.

Enjoy!!

I'll be on my third solo cruise in May and I can't wait. On my past two cruises I met fun, friendly people at dinner on the first night as they seat singles together. I ended up hanging out with some of them and even went on excursions with them. I'm hoping for the same on my upcoming cruise. I also booked the IA at150% which all things considered (being able to do whatever I wanted to do whenever I wanted to do with whomever I wanted to do it with) well worth the extra $'s.

If you go I'm sure you'll have a great time!

I cruise solo all the time, and it works great. Tips to meet people: 1- Join your cruise's Roll Call and do some posts. You'll already "sorta know" some people as soon as you board-- then if someone (why not you?) arranges a "meet and greet" shortly after boarding, you'll be able to put faces to names. Even if some of them are sailing as families, at least you'll know a few people. And most Roll Call posters are nicer and more fun than cruisers in general! 2- Usually, I find at dinner that the maitre d has seated me at a large table with other singles around the same age, which is great! (sometimes, Roll Call friends will arrange to be seated together, which can work well too.) 3- Participate in activities and do some excursions. 4- Hit the piano bar. 5- You'll see singles "meets" in the Fun Times-- sometimes these are better attended than other times. 6- Of course, a fun attitude helps to attract new friends! 7- I've met some nice people on previous cruises, and now we often plan cruises with each other-- although while sailing with friends I still book a 1A if I can get it, and pay the 200% for an inside otherwise.

I'm kinda' hesitant to say go for it . . . 7 days is a long time to be out of pocket if you find you DON'T like being that far away; also it depends on how old the kids are, and is there any possibility that you'd be needed for some sort of emergency (elderly parents? little kids?). If you'd like to get away from it all, I think I'd look into a great B&B somewhere like Key West, or one of the all-inclusive resorts like Sandals . . . you'd have the option of bailing out if you wanted to. I'm just sayin' . . .

Thanks so much for your thoughts I'm taking my first cruise and will be travelling solo. I was a little nervous however your comments have made me feel that I made the correct choice after all.

is my vote. as long as you don't mind the extra $ you pay for being by yourself in the cabin, do it!!! and as there are a "million" people on the ship, you technically won't be alone. just think of them as friends you haven't made yet! :)

I have done two solo cruises and I really enjoyed them. I mainly did them for some alone time. I spend a lot of time talking to people with work and I am very comfortable being alone. The first trip I met a few people here and there and had some great conversations. The second trip the only people I ever talked to was a couple at my dinner table. Otherwise I stuck to myself and just relaxed. On Carnival they sat me at a dinner table with some other solo cruisers. On RCL they set me at a table for 8 with 7 members of an extended family (!?!). It is a great time to catch up on your reading if that is what you are into. Go and enjoy. I would certainly do another one.

Go for it! I went solo on my Holiday cruise last year. I had a 1A porthole and loved it. I got involved in the roll call, and got to know several of those people and had a great time with them on the cruise. If someone can join you later, there is a 2nd bed in a 1A. Either that, or you can upgrade, even with earlysaver. Earlysaver will usually be better than a past guest rate, and past guest rates aren't always available. And even if you were to later find a past guest rate that's better than what you booked, you can apply for OBC or rate reduction, as long as it's for the same sailing and same category that you're booked in.

I also say "go for it"! I have sailed solo three times and really enjoyed it, and will give it a go again this coming September. I was a bit nervous the first time, but had great dinner companions, and quickly felt very comfortable. Enjoy!:)

I'm not a party or meet and mingle type of person. I'm not sure I'd like solo cruising. Think it would be pretty boring for me since I'd pretty much spend it all by myself.

If you like to get out and meet new people though I could see it as being a lot of fun.

Archived