prevention of travellers diarreah

reddirtgirl

Does anyone know of a non-prescription medication you can take as a preventive measure to avoid getting the dreaded travellers diarreah? we've never had issues with this in previous travels and this is our first time cruising and not sure if we need to be concerned about this or not; I know all the usual good health measures such as avoid using ice, wash hands frequently, wash fresh fruit, etc., but thought if there was a pill you could take to avoid it altogether? any thoughts?

Does anyone know of a non-prescription medication you can take as a preventive measure to avoid getting the dreaded travellers diarreah? we've never had issues with this in previous travels and this is our first time cruising and not sure if we need to be concerned about this or not; I know all the usual good health measures such as avoid using ice, wash hands frequently, wash fresh fruit, etc., but thought if there was a pill you could take to avoid it altogether? any thoughts?

Here's a link for it...

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dbmd/diseaseinfo/travelersdiarrhea_g.htm#prevent

The CDC does not rec any preventative meds:)

Be safe, have fun

Mike

You could treat your water (chemical or UV), drink only bottled, but you are still subject to all the other avenues of transmission like food, air, etc. It's pretty much impossible to prevent the random case, but take some Immodium AD with you just in case you get Motezuma's Revenge.

There is nothing to "prevent" it...and you don't want to! Immodium can "treat" it, once you get it (if you do!)....

If you eat something bad, that's your body's way of getting it out of your system!

You are unlikely to get a food-borne illness from the ship. Noro is a different story, as there are so many folks onboard....you just don't know who has what! And I would stay away from Mexican water, ice and fresh, uncooked foods.

The CDC recommends Pepto-Bismol for several days prior to going to areas where this problem is common, but not for just anyone embarking on a trip. I always take some with me. Far fewer side affects than Imodium unless you have Aspirin sensitivity. If you're concerned contact a Physician at a Travel Clinic or CDC.gov

Keep in mind that diarrhea is a sign that you have ingested something bad. Don't go running for the Lomotil or Immodium after the first poop. You don't want to keep it in..let it get through and out. If you still have diarrhea after a day, it is because the good bacteria that digest your food have gone out with the bad. Replace them by eating yoghurt. EM

Keep in mind that diarrhea is a sign that you have ingested something bad. Don't go running for the Lomotil or Immodium after the first poop. You don't want to keep it in..let it get through and out. If you still have diarrhea after a day, it is because the good bacteria that digest your food have gone out with the bad. Replace them by eating yoghurt. EM

I agree......we spend a lot of time in Puerto Vallarta and people always ask me what meds I use. I have to laugh because I use no meds, drink water straight from the tap, eat at all the safe taco stands and do everything most cruisers would be too afraid to try. Never ever have I had a problem there, if I did I would want what ever was inside my guts to leave now....only two points of exit that I know about and I want both of those working :D

I eat alot of yogurt down there as well as those propactive drinks a few weeks before leaving, I travel a lot for business and travel and do this everywhere. Only place I have ever had trouble was a 5 star hotel in Montreal, I spent two long days wrapped around a very fancy toilet.

I agree......we spend a lot of time in Puerto Vallarta and people always ask me what meds I use. I have to laugh because I use no meds, drink water straight from the tap, eat at all the safe taco stands and do everything most cruisers would be too afraid to try. Never ever have I had a problem there, if I did I would want what ever was inside my guts to leave now....only two points of exit that I know about and I want both of those working :D

I eat alot of yogurt down there as well as those propactive drinks a few weeks before leaving, I travel a lot for business and travel and do this everywhere. Only place I have ever had trouble was a 5 star hotel in Montreal, I spent two long days wrapped around a very fancy toilet.

I've spent many great vacations in Mexico as well, and have never had a problem. I stay at resorts, but eat local food, too. No problemo. No problems on shore visits in Mexico, either. I don't take anything before or during visitations. Quincytoo - you didn't happen to stay at the Queen Elizabeth Hotel in Montreal, did you? We did, and had no problems, other than only one English-speaking channel on our room TV! Beautiful hotel. I eat yogurt at home on a regular basis, but not while cruising. (Plenty of great solid food that's hard to resist!)

We were in Cambodia last month and my wife ate or drank something she should not have. We don't know what. We do know that she has amoeba parasites in her intestines. She became very dehydrated and spent 24 hours in the Royal Angkor International Hospital in Siem Reap, Cambodia. She had fluids by IV the whole time. They also put anti-biotics thru the IV. When she was discharged, they gave her anitbiotic pills (Flagil) to take. When we got home a week later, she still had the critters. Went thru another 10 days of antibiotics. Still has the critters. She is now on another round. Hopefully this will get rid of it.

I write this to tell everyone to be very careful if you do catch something like this. If you are uncertain, consult the doctor on the ship or on land.b

I've spent many great vacations in Mexico as well, and have never had a problem. I stay at resorts, but eat local food, too. No problemo. No problems on shore visits in Mexico, either. I don't take anything before or during visitations. Quincytoo - you didn't happen to stay at the Queen Elizabeth Hotel in Montreal, did you? We did, and had no problems, other than only one English-speaking channel on our room TV! Beautiful hotel. I eat yogurt at home on a regular basis, but not while cruising. (Plenty of great solid food that's hard to resist!)

I love the QE but this trip stayed at Sofital in Montreal and now that remember I think I only had one or two english speaking channels..

Paul929207 that is horrible about your wife :( I hope she is feeling better soon!!!

We were in Cambodia last month and my wife ate or drank something she should not have. We don't know what. We do know that she has amoeba parasites in her intestines. She became very dehydrated and spent 24 hours in the Royal Angkor International Hospital in Siem Reap, Cambodia. She had fluids by IV the whole time. They also put anti-biotics thru the IV. When she was discharged, they gave her anitbiotic pills (Flagil) to take. When we got home a week later, she still had the critters. Went thru another 10 days of antibiotics. Still has the critters. She is now on another round. Hopefully this will get rid of it.

I write this to tell everyone to be very careful if you do catch something like this. If you are uncertain, consult the doctor on the ship or on land.b

Sorry to hear this, and I hope your wife makes a complete recovery. Were you on a cruise or a land trip?

I think it is RX

I have not tried it but it is advertised in Canada

I would check with your doctor because some people should not take it

I wouldn't dream of taking any med without doctor's okay.

Just asking for trouble IMO

Paul, Very sorry to read about your wife's illness. Hope she makes a fast, full recovery.

Thanks to all for your responses to my question; As I said in my original post, hubby & I have travelled before and never have had a problem in this area - we eat & drink everything; however, I thought I'd ask because someone told me we should be taking something; Will continue to follow all the good health guidelines, continue to eat my yogurt & pack immodium just in case. Thanks again

Holy cow, Paul! Wishing her a complete recovery, the sooner the better.

Caro

Archived