CocoCay mini-straw market

tinaka

Ok...I've been to Labadee 3 times now and know what to expect when walking through the market there (very pushy sales people that you can negotiate with).

This May we are going to CocoCay for the first time and I see that there is a small market there. I have read a few things about it, but never heard much about sales tactics/pricing. How is it compared to the Labadee market?

No pressure at all...if anything the vendors seem almost indifferent!! Many times the items we are looking at have no price marked & have to track someone down to find out the price..we are at the point now we just don't even bother...

Where do the vendors come from if it's a private island? Just wondering.

-Heather

You tenders and the straw market people are both contracted from inhabited islands. They are local people that have jobs because of RCCL.

Like others have said the people at the straw market in Coco Cay seem rather indifferent. They do allow a little haggling, but there isn't much wiggle room. I found it rather nice to go looking through the shops without being bothered by the shop owners.

My DH have been to both places & LOVE Coco Cay so much more!!! One of the reasons is because the people are SO much less pushy & aggressive than Labadee. I was so turned off by that!!! The market at Coco Cay is much smaller but I still managed to find plenty of trinkets to buy!!! Overall we found the "feel" of Coco Cay to be much more relaxed & had much more of the "island" feel. We just booked our upcoming cruise specifically because it goes to Coco Cay! Have fun!

Ok...I've been to Labadee 3 times now and know what to expect when walking through the market there (very pushy sales people that you can negotiate with).

This May we are going to CocoCay for the first time and I see that there is a small market there. I have read a few things about it, but never heard much about sales tactics/pricing. How is it compared to the Labadee market?

We are sailing on the FOS on May 9. Just checking if that's the same time you're going?

Going on the same cruise. Never been to Cococay either. I have a question about the tender. How long does it take you to get from the ship to land. Are the tenders the same as Labadee? Are we as close to land as Labadee. Just a little nervous about the tender. I like BIG boats not little boats.:o

Hope you don't mind me asking. :)

Just was in Coco Cay Last week . . . so sad I'm not there now! Tender only takes about 10-15 min from load to unload. Very fast and no worries - it doesn't rock at all and it's a great chance to get pics of the Ship! There are many many chairs and things on the snorkle/swim beach as well as spread out on "Wanders' Beach." We found some about a 30 min walk on the other side! Last time I had been there was 2 years ago and I thought it had changed! Lots of people to buy coco locos from and no problems with pushy people either! Have fun!

If you are really intent on buying Bahamian merchandise, buy it when your ship stops in Nassau. Check out the large tented market right by the water. You can see it from the ship. If you do shop at the Coco Cay shops, you will need cash because you can't use your SeaPass at the handicraft shops.

I hope you enjoy Coco Cay as much as I do. I haven't been there in a year and I do miss it.

Just was in Coco Cay Last week . . . so sad I'm not there now! Tender only takes about 10-15 min from load to unload. Very fast and no worries - it doesn't rock at all and it's a great chance to get pics of the Ship! There are many many chairs and things on the snorkle/swim beach as well as spread out on "Wanders' Beach." We found some about a 30 min walk on the other side! Last time I had been there was 2 years ago and I thought it had changed! Lots of people to buy coco locos from and no problems with pushy people either! Have fun!

There is also a shuttle operated by RCL and a great guy named Garfield that gives a great tour.

Our best find in Coco Cay has to be coconut footballs. In the straw market area there is a man who has a variety of coconuts that he has put thread thru to look like a football. Anyway, he will paint your favorite NFL or college team logo on these for you. It takes about 30 minutes for him to complete, so it's best to hunt him down beforehand and give him your order. My husband got his coveted coconut a few years ago and loves it. It is always a conversation piece when friends visit. They make awesome Christmas gifts too. I believe it was $25 for this, but he does an excellent job and they are well worth the money in my opinion. Also, he has a bunch of these already done, so you may see your team there ready to purchase.

Our best find in Coco Cay has to be coconut footballs. In the straw market area there is a man who has a variety of coconuts that he has put thread thru to look like a football. Anyway, he will paint your favorite NFL or college team logo on these for you. It takes about 30 minutes for him to complete, so it's best to hunt him down beforehand and give him your order. My husband got his coveted coconut a few years ago and loves it. It is always a conversation piece when friends visit. They make awesome Christmas gifts too. I believe it was $25 for this, but he does an excellent job and they are well worth the money in my opinion. Also, he has a bunch of these already done, so you may see your team there ready to purchase.

I'm going in June, so I will look for this guy. Three guesses as to what coconut football I would be interested in!! :D:D:D

If you are really intent on buying Bahamian merchandise, buy it when your ship stops in Nassau. Check out the large tented market right by the water. You can see it from the ship. If you do shop at the Coco Cay shops, you will need cash because you can't use your SeaPass at the handicraft shops.

I hope you enjoy Coco Cay as much as I do. I haven't been there in a year and I do miss it.

Last time we were there, August '08, I was disappointed to find that most of the merchandise they were selling was "made in China". I ended up leaving empty handed. So double check the underside of the merchandise if you are trying to purchase something hand-made or bahamian. I didn't see the coconut footballs, that would have been nice.

Have fun, it's a great island.

Archived