Everything Serenade of the Seas

I am considering booking the SOS on 4/2/11. I have sailed on larger ships recently but the reviews of the SOS have been great. I will have with me my DW, DS9, DS17 and friend of DS who is also 17. I assume there will be lots of activities for them as on the larger ships. Not worried about the ice skating rink, flow rider, etc. A basketball court, pool and arcade will make the older boys happy.

There were plenty of youth on the ship on our recent cruise. There are basketbal courts, rock wall, ping pong tables, pools and other activities [not sure about arcade]. Just remember you will be in port for most days, so look for activities they will enjoy at port. We went on an all day tour in St. Lucia ,which my sister and I thoroughly enjoyed. There were a few teens on the tour and one in particular seemed bored out of her mind. She probably would have enjoyed a beach day more.

I think you, your teens and 9 y/o will have a great time.

I am considering booking the SOS on 4/2/11. I have sailed on larger ships recently but the reviews of the SOS have been great. I will have with me my DW, DS9, DS17 and friend of DS who is also 17. I assume there will be lots of activities for them as on the larger ships. Not worried about the ice skating rink, flow rider, etc. A basketball court, pool and arcade will make the older boys happy.

I would have no problems booking if I was in your situation. We were on the Serenade two years ago and while the ship wasn't flooded with children and teenagers, there were still quite a few and they seemed to be having a great time. There are still plenty of activities onboard that will keep that age group entertained (basketball courts, ping pong, mini golf, self levelling pool tables, etc.).

Are the stateroom TV's still the old style or have they been upgraded to flat panel TV's? Just wondering...and thanks in advance!

Just off the Serenade yesterday ... old style TVs, not flat panel.

Fabulous cruise, BTW.

Serenade is clearly my new favorite ship in the fleet. I'm working on my review and should have something to post soon.

This cruise is port-intensive, so you'll only be needing things for the kids in the evenings. The kids activities were very well-attended. In the early evening, they tended to put the younger teens in with the older teens, which didn't rate high marks from my 16-yr old DD. After 10 though it was the older kids only. She made a number of new friends and had a fabulous cruise.

Yes there is an arcade. There always seemed to be plenty of action on the basketball court. Your 2 oldest boys will be old enough for the Solarium. My DD was pretty excited about that, but she actually only used it once.

Just off the Serenade yesterday ... old style TVs, not flat panel.

Fabulous cruise, BTW.

Serenade is clearly my new favorite ship in the fleet. I'm working on my review and should have something to post soon.

Not that I will be watching TV much, but it does make a difference in space (it did on Liberty at least).

This will be my 4th time on Serenade and there's a reason why...it's just the right size and has a great itinerary! I'm pretty sure there are many others beside us who feel the same way!

Thank you so much for starting this thread! My husband and I are seriously considering the SOS this summer (8/1) sailing and this thread is perfect! Please keep posting the Compass, if possible, as I enjoyed reading the first one.

This will be our fifth time cruising, 2nd with RCI and 1st on a smaller ship. After all the terrific reviews and the fantastic itinerary, I cannot wait until we book!

There seems to be alot of different itineraries on the Serenade. We're doing San Juan, Curacao, Aruba, Dominica, St. Thomas in october. Are formal nights still night 2 and 2nd to the last? We leave on a Sunday.

My wife and I are on the SOS the week of April 17. Is there anything on the ship that is a "Can't miss"?

Thanks

D Jackson

One thing I really enjoyed was the entertainment in the atrium in the evening. They had a different style band every evening and all of them were good. We had the late dinner and the bands would be playing as we waited to enter the dining room. I wish I would have gotten ready for dinner earlier so I could hang out in the atrium and enjoy the music.

All I can say is that it is a great ship and my favorite of all RCCL ships. We are doing a B2B on her in Oct., diffent itenairies, because I told my DH that 7 days was not enough. Our first cruise on her was 14 days thru the Panama Canal. Can't wait to get back on her.

One time on Serenade.......

True, it is decorated nicely...... and the views are good but not my favorite class of ship. It doesn't mean I would never cruise on this class again. I prefer Filet mignon but I still eat hamburgers too.......LOL

Can someone let me know which dock Serenade leaves from in San Juan? We assumed OSJ and were going to try to get the Sheraton, but I read where it leaves from a different dock? Would it be better to try to get the Caribe Hilton?:confused:

Can someone let me know which dock Serenade leaves from in San Juan? We assumed OSJ and were going to try to get the Sheraton, but I read where it leaves from a different dock? Would it be better to try to get the Caribe Hilton?:confused:

It departs from the Pan Am Pier. Six of one, half dozen of the other in terms of the hotel location.

It depends on where you you'll want to spend most of your time while in San Juan. I've stayed at both. I like the Caribe Hilton for the hotel but the Sheraton for location. If you will be doing lots in OSJ, then you can walk to everything from the Sheraton. There really isn't too much else around the Caribe. A small beach is there though and I like the hotel better.

We usually stay at the Caribe Hilton. You can actually see the ship from the hotel. It's a short taxi ride. But there is not much around there. We're usually too tired from traveling all day to do much of anything anyway, so that's fine with us.

First time posting here. We are sailing on the Serenade on 4/24, and we are really excited about this trip! This will be my 9th different RCL ship that I have sailed on. My question is regarding the menu schedule in the Main Dining Room. Does anyone know what the schedule is for the menu for each night? We enjoy going to the Dining Room for dinner, but we try to schedule Portifino on a night where we don't like the menu. We usually try to skip the "Caribbean Night". I can't seem to find it, and I'm hoping to find an answer here.

Me, my wife, and our 3 year old are counting down to days until we leave. If you are sailing on this trip, I'll mostly be wearing a Georgia Tech or Red Sox hat during the day!

First time posting here. We are sailing on the Serenade on 4/24, and we are really excited about this trip! This will be my 9th different RCL ship that I have sailed on. My question is regarding the menu schedule in the Main Dining Room. Does anyone know what the schedule is for the menu for each night? We enjoy going to the Dining Room for dinner, but we try to schedule Portifino on a night where we don't like the menu. We usually try to skip the "Caribbean Night". I can't seem to find it, and I'm hoping to find an answer here.

Me, my wife, and our 3 year old are counting down to days until we leave. If you are sailing on this trip, I'll mostly be wearing a Georgia Tech or Red Sox hat during the day!

Welcome to CC!

Just checked my compasses from my recent trip- Sat.-casual, Sunday- formal, Monday- casual/ 70's attire, Tuesday- Caribbean, Wednesday- Casual, Thursday- formal, Friday- casual.

To be honest, many patrons did not pay attention to the dress suggestions other than the formal nights- so not to worry about the Caribbean night.

Welcome to CC!

Just checked my compasses from my recent trip- Sat.-casual, Sunday- formal, Monday- casual/ 70's attire, Tuesday- Caribbean, Wednesday- Casual, Thursday- formal, Friday- casual.

To be honest, many patrons did not pay attention to the dress suggestions other than the formal nights- so not to worry about the Caribbean night.

I'm not as worried about the dress suggestions (heck, we usually don't follow them except for Formal Night). However, your list is very helpful because I do remember that "Caribbean Night" usually featured a 'Caribbean' menu, and we're not fans of the food choices that night in the Dining Room. That's why we try to book either Portifino (or Chops) for that evening, and not on a night were the Dining Room menu choices are more palatable.

Thanks for posting!

One time on Serenade.......

True, it is decorated nicely...... and the views are good but not my favorite class of ship. It doesn't mean I would never cruise on this class again. I prefer Filet mignon but I still eat hamburgers too.......LOL

Serenade is simply elegant and perfect for this true island destination cruising.

If you're looking for the ship as a destination with a visit to no where in particular I can see how you might be understimulated on Serenade.

My wife and I are on the SOS the week of April 17. Is there anything on the ship that is a "Can't miss"?

Thanks

D Jackson

Must spend time in the Solarium. It is extremely relaxing. The roof is kept closed and it is climate controlled. The sound of water falling and song birds fills the air. Pool water does tend to be a bit chilly but if you to get

a quiet place this is it.

Oh yeah and don't forget the smoked salmon in the Windjammer. They hide it in the back on the opposite side of where the desserts are displayed.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

I have narrowed down a Southern Caribbean cruise for September 2011. There are two routes:

Ports of Call: San Juan, Puerto Rico; Bridgetown, Barbados; Castries, St. Lucia; St. John's, Antigua; Philipsburg, St. Maarten; St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands; San Juan, Puerto Rico

or

Ports of Call: San Juan, Puerto Rico; Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas; Basseterre, St. Kitts; Oranjestad, Aruba; Willemstad, Curacao; San Juan, Puerto Rico

Has anyone done both that can give me feedback? I want to surprise DW so I can not ask her.

By the way is cabin 9092 a good choice? Looks almost too close to the elevators.

Thanks in advance for all the help!

Be glad to help....did both weeks this past January and am doing them again this January and once again have booked for January 2012 so what can I say we like it.

9092 is closer to the elevators and some like it....we are aft balcony people so like them better...so ask some specific questions or email me at lou at louhood dot com and ask away put in the subject Serenade

Lou

Be glad to help....did both weeks this past January and am doing them again this January and once again have booked for January 2012 so what can I say we like it.

9092 is closer to the elevators and some like it....we are aft balcony people so like them better...so ask some specific questions or email me at lou at louhood dot com and ask away put in the subject Serenade

Lou

those weren't the two weeks we did in January - September is the modified version because Adventure is in Europe. We didn't go to Aruba or Curacao. However, some love Aruba, I can take it or leave it. We prefer the Barbados route. Beautiful beached, lots to do IMHO.

We are "hump" people so love the proximity to the elevator/staircase. You don't hear any noise.

Whichever route you take you will love the Serenade. Enjoy your cruise.

Archived