Alaskan Excursions for Handicapped Mother?

scottndsky

Hi Folks! Seeking a little advice…

My mom and dad are celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary aboard the Oosterdam this July on HAL's Alaskan Explorer itinerary. My mom is completely wheelchair (scooter) dependant, but she plans on mustering the strength to disembark in Juneau and Ketchikan:

Day Port

0 Seattle, Washington, US

1 At Sea

2 Glacier Bay (cruising)

3 Juneau, Alaska, US

4 Sitka, Alaska, US (tender)

5 Ketchikan, Alaska, US

6 Victoria, British Columbia, CA

7 Seattle, Washington, US

I’d like to buy them a really nice excursion at one of those two locations as an anniversary gift. I’m thinking of an over-the-top float plane or helicopter tour, or something like that. It would need to be really easy for someone completely immobile. Scoot off the ship, get hoisted in, and off they go! It wouldn't need to be booked through HAL either. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Regards,

Scott

There was no way that the floatplane that I've been on was handicap accessable. You literaly have to climb in and climb out. Also, it's very "tight" inside the plane. I doubt that any helicopters are accessable either - probably even tighter than the floatplanes. There are boats that do whale watching out of Juneau that are accessable.

Your mother would have to be lifted and pushed and shoved a great deal to get on a float plane. Might be very embarrassing for her, but if she is willing to do that, she might enjoy the trip. As I have gotten older I have thought of 'sack of potatoes' when doing my best to get on to small planes. Graceful it is not.

The best excursion as stated above are the larger boat whale watching tours. Very easy access and a pleasant tour.

I took the helicopter/glacier landing in Juneau with HAL in 2003. Although it was a spectacular excursion, I'd like to caution you about my experience.

The helicopter dropped us off at the glacier and came back for us in 15-20 minutes (or maybe it was a different helicopter that came back for us - I can't remember). But bottom line is that after they dropped us off, it was reloaded with people on the glacier that had already been there for their 15-20 minutes. In other words, you have to get out so others can get in for their return trip.

In those 15-20 minutes on the glacier, you are expected to be able to walk away from the helicopter after landing and meet a group for a small talk. After that you have some time to walk around on the glacier if you want.

I would think this would be very difficult, if not impossible for your mom to do this, especially on the ice.

I don't know if that is the case with every helicopter excursion, (ship sponsored or private) but I'm guessing that you may want to check if a flight only excursion is available.

Getting in and out of the helicopter could also be a problem, although I don't remember the difficulty, perhaps someone else will.

Hi Scott,

My suggestion is to call a few of the operators that you are interested in flying with. Most likely your ship will not be accommodating with the companies they use as I have heard this before, but you might try contacting smaller companies besides the larger ones that your cruise ship contracts with. Many handicapped people are often able to go on float planes but this will depend on their weight and also their mobility. I have seen people completely lifted into the plane though and this can be done safely, but you need to talk with the operators themselves to get some good feedback. The Misty Fjords flight would be an awesome flight for your parents, and would be a highlight of their whole trip to Alaska, and an awesome anniversary gift!!

Well, Scott, you did say "over the top", so here is my suggestion. Check out limo service in Juneau. You could have a private limo show up with a bucket of Champagne in the back and maybe a nice corsage on the back seat for your mom. Mendenhall Glacier and Glacier Gardens are both wheelchair accessible. Ask the driver for other easily accessible scenic stops. Shrine of St. Terese is beautiful, but it is a gravel parking lot, so not sure if it would be easily transversed in the electric wheelchair.

Wish the a happy anniversary. You are a wonderful son for thinking of doing something special for them.

P.S. Ketchikan is pretty flat from the ship back to Creek Street. I'm sure your mom will have a nice time just roaming around the town on their own.

Please read this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1152005&highlight=

regarding one couple's experience with a non-HAL flightseeing tour. It wasn't very successful, despite the original assurances from the company.

Also have a look here for some info on handicapped transportation in Juneau

http://www.juneau.lib.ak.us/visitors/access.pdf

If you e-mail them they may be able to steer you to a private operator who could do a personalized tour for your parents.

There is a whale watching company in Juneau that has a boat that is wheelchair accessible. Larry's?? I can't remember the name but I'm sure someone here knows. It's not the over the top excursion you are looking for but it would be fun. I know from experience that it is less stressful to go somewhere that is set up for wheelchairs to get on and off. The idea from a previous poster to rent a limo is a very good one. There is a thread for handicapped travel that you should check out. There are many good suggestions there. Good luck to you, I'm sure your parents will have a great time.

There is a whale watching company in Juneau that has a boat that is wheelchair accessible. Larry's?? I can't remember the name but I'm sure someone here knows. It's not the over the top excursion you are looking for but it would be fun. I know from experience that it is less stressful to go somewhere that is set up for wheelchairs to get on and off. The idea from a previous poster to rent a limo is a very good one. There is a thread for handicapped travel that you should check out. There are many good suggestions there. Good luck to you, I'm sure your parents will have a great time.
Good suggestion. Contact Orca Enterprises in advance to let them know and they will treat your mother very well. She will get to sit in her wheelchair looking out the big window at the front of the boat right beside Captain Larry.

I would aim a tad lower and do whale watching with Capt Larry (Orca Enterprises) and maybe Mendenhall if you can work out the shuttle bus back from Mendenhall (Mendenhall is wheelchair friendly but the cheap shuttles are not). Capt Larry has a boat that is wheelchair friendly.

While now glacier landing - whale watching is a wonderful experience.

Archived