Baltimore 2011

schinz2

Thanks,

I actually did go that far and see the Jan/Feb sailing on Mercury. I was really looking further in Fall 2011 and wondering if any ships would be doing the current Mercury routes for Fall of 2011.

I too have been waiting (not so patiently) to see if Baltimore will have a ship after Feb 2011. We are booked on 2/14/11 cruise, which is currently, the last Celebrity cruise out of Baltimore.

Hope they come back after Alaska. Or just stay in Baltimore. :rolleyes:

Thanks,

I actually did go that far and see the Jan/Feb sailing on Mercury. I was really looking further in Fall 2011 and wondering if any ships would be doing the current Mercury routes for Fall of 2011.

The new schedules for the fall of 2011 Caribbean sailings are not

out yet. Supposed to be done between now and about the 2nd week

of April.

We are all waitiing for them to be released. You can wait with us:):D

I work for cruises - so all of my "not working" time is focused on crusing. Planning future cruises, reliving past cruises, and waiting (not too patiently) for the future schedules to be posted.

I continue to wait - but :o - I would really rather have the schedule so I could move forward with the planning.

Hi,

A ''hint '' about == X == intentions re; Baltimore/Charleston: RCCL has now deployed Enchentement of the Seas year round in Baltimore from Spring 2011.

Would the RCL conglomerate deploy TWO of their brands ships there for a whole year ?? Me think not.....:rolleyes::confused:

Cheers

My Jan cruise on Mercury was marvelous, it was my 1st X cruise and is the reason I've booked another X in May.

I'm glad it'll continue in Baltimore but I'll be selfish and a hog: Celebrity, how about an M-Class or even S-Class?

Florida and NYC are wonderful places......

But the DC-Baltimore area has 6% unemployment even in these bad times. Due to government expanding beyond our wildest dreams, job growth and INCOME growth will continue to be strong. Competition-wise there is no Crystal or Regent, no HOLLAND either. X would be the sole premium mass market provider.

Summary: I'm Jedi and I'm too lazy to go to Florida and I want some more ships in my backyward, waaaa waaaa waaaa.

My Jan cruise on Mercury was marvelous, it was my 1st X cruise and is the reason I've booked another X in May.

I'm glad it'll continue in Baltimore but I'll be selfish and a hog: Celebrity, how about an M-Class or even S-Class?

As I recall someone in Baltimore telling me, there is a bridge that the ship has to pass under on its way in and out of Baltimore.

The Mercury is small enough to get under it when the tides are right, but the M and S-class ships are way to "tall" to clear whatever the obstruction is.

Art

There is a bridge that ships sailing from Baltimore have to go under - RCL and Celebrity have been tag teaming Baltimore for 2010, but carnival is there full time - and now RCL, would just like to see Celebrity there - RCL is pretty good, but I really like Celebrity. :D:D

Summary: I'm Jedi and I'm too lazy to go to Florida and I want some more ships in my backyward, waaaa waaaa waaaa.

Me too! I don't want to have to get to FL to cruise. We have Baltimore AND Norfolk right here. I want to be able to drive the AM of my cruise from home to the port.

And my Nov & Jan Mercury cruises (1st & 2nd X cruises) were fantastic as well ... I was hoping to keep sailing on her or another X ship right from home!

Florida and NYC are wonderful places......

But the DC-Baltimore area has 6% unemployment even in these bad times. Due to government expanding beyond our wildest dreams, job growth and INCOME growth will continue to be strong. Competition-wise there is no Crystal or Regent, no HOLLAND either. X would be the sole premium mass market provider.

I agree, this area could has a large population that has money to spend on a higher-end line. Most of the ships we get are older ones that are not as nice. You have NYC, DC, Baltimore, Philly, and Wilmington all close...;)

I agree, this area could has a large population that has money to spend on a higher-end line. Most of the ships we get are older ones that are not as nice. You have NYC, DC, Baltimore, Philly, and Wilmington all close...;)

Correct, the demographics are there. If they moved the cruise terminal, we could get the newer, larger, updated ships, but the Locust Point terminal recently replaced the Dundalk terminal and I'm afraid it is what it is and we have what we have.

From Cruise Maryland...

Consumers: Strategically located in the heart of the largest and wealthiest region in the country. Eight million consumers with a median household income of almost $68,080 live within an easy drive.

http://www.cruisemaryland.com/aboutcruisemaryland.htm

As I recall someone in Baltimore telling me, there is a bridge that the ship has to pass under on its way in and out of Baltimore.

The Mercury is small enough to get under it when the tides are right, but the M and S-class ships are way to "tall" to clear whatever the obstruction is.

Art

I find it very difficult to get info on ship heights [must be out there somewhere], but NauticalCities dot com has what I think are reasonably accurate ship profiles. Looking at those both C-class and M-class ships look to top out right at 180 feet above water line, while S-class is maybe a few feet taller [front mast somewhat taller than the stacks, but it should be lowerable].

It appears that the Chesapeake Bay Bridge is 186 feet above the main navigation channel [with approximately 1.5 feet of tidal variation], and Key Bridge 185 feet, so it would probably be really tight getting an S-class into Baltimore, but while M-class would be tight, it is about the same as C-class Mercury.

Note that all of this is based on what seem to be reliable internet sites [referencing the MD DOT etc], but are not based on personal measurements:rolleyes:

Thom

Or just go up to the bridge during sailaway and tell the Captain "C'mon Cappy, you don't have the stones to take out that bridge. C'mon do it I dare you".

Barring that, if the captain is from Greece we could convince him the bridge was built in honor of the great nation of Turkey ;)

Art

I live ten minutes from the Bay Bridge; it has 180 feet of clearance. Not sure how tall the ships mentioned are. RCCL and Carnival do sail out of BMore. All older ships... Norfolk would not be bad either and they would not have to worry about a bridge.

Ships can just depart out of Annapolis whereas they do not need to pass under the Bay Bridge. I remember years ago, my mother took a cruise that left out of Annapolis. Maryland just redid the bridge, you would have thought, Maryland would have raised the bridge a little for larger ships to pass under the bridge but Maryland was only thinking of how to control traffic congestion to and from Ocean City.

Archived