Is is true 18-20 year olds can drink alcohol?

If you are cruising with her and from a European or South American port yes, if you are cruising from the US, NO.

Uh, why would you want her to drink alcohol in the first place.

There's an age limit for a reason. (And I believe it's only for obtaining/purchasing, not on the actual consumption and for that the cruiseline will have their own policies).

There's an age limit for a reason. (And I believe it's only for obtaining/purchasing, not on the actual consumption and for that the cruiseline will have their own policies).

Uh, I don´t even know her, so why should I care;):rolleyes:

There is an age limit and it´s for obtaining/purchasing and actual consumption and it´s set by the cruiseline. It´s 21 and for cruises out of a European or SouthAmerican port it can be lowered to 18 if a waiver is signed by the parent all within the cruiseline policy:rolleyes:

In many countries and cultures, younger people can and do drink wine with dinner. Some start as young as their stomachs can handle it.

Interestingly, these same countries have fewer problems with teen drinking. Withholding social alcohol use early seems to lead to binge drinking later. There's a lesson there but we American's have trouble learning sometimes.

Ray

Once in international waters, individual states drinking laws do not apply and it ALL (consumption/obtaining/purchasing) comes down to ship policies.

All due respect, it's none of your business whether or not anybody wants to let their 18-20yo have a beer or two on vacation. Anyway, it's a valid question b/c I do believe they used to have waivers for the US. However, once off the boat and at port there aren't too many places they won't be able to obtain a drink.

My DD read about a waiver I can sign......:rolleyes:

There used to be a policy like that, but it was changed as noted above several years ago.

Note that at many of the ports you visit, the drinking age may be 18 or even younger.

In 2006 we cruised on the Navigator. At that time they did have a waiver for 18-20 year olds. It was for beer and wine only. My DS was 19 at the time so we signed the waiver. They did away with this about a year later except for european cruises I do believe/

If your 19 year old son or daughter just got back from a tour of duty from Iraq or Afganistan and the wanted a drink would'nt you think thats O.K.

Interestingly, these same countries have fewer problems with teen drinking. Withholding social alcohol use early seems to lead to binge drinking later. There's a lesson there but we American's have trouble learning sometimes.

Ray

While I agree with the premise that a responsible young adult should be allowed to drink, I have a problem with the above statement.

European countries which allow teenagers/young adults to indulge, are having a very serious problems with binge drinking. UK has a very serious problem with 15-16 yo girls outdoing their male partners in heavy drinking. Ireland, Spain, Iceland, France, Germany, all countries that have liberal age drinking laws are finding themselves in serious troubles with their young people binge drinking on a regular basis.

http://alcohol-statistics-in-europe.own69.com/alcohol_in_teens/

and here is an excerpt from the above article:

Also, contrary to some beliefs, the stricter control of consumption of alcohol in teens in America has not translated into a "forbidden fruit" type mentality where American teens drink more and experience more problems than other countries that have a weaker control on alcohol sales and consumption.

While I agree with the premise that a responsible young adult should be allowed to drink, I have a problem with the above statement.

European countries which allow teenagers/young adults to indulge, are having a very serious problems with binge drinking. UK has a very serious problem with 15-16 yo girls outdoing their male partners in heavy drinking. Ireland, Spain, Iceland, France, Germany, all countries that have liberal age drinking laws are finding themselves in serious troubles with their young people binge drinking on a regular basis.

Also, contrary to some beliefs, the stricter control of consumption of alcohol in teens in America has not translated into a "forbidden fruit" type mentality where American teens drink more and experience more problems than other countries that have a weaker control on alcohol sales and consumption.

Couldn't agree with you more.

Binge drinking amongst teens in the UK is out of control and we're not a country that has traditionally included wine at the majority of dinner tables. Frankly I'm not all that sure whether the majority of French families do these days...well my family in France didn't that's for sure. Nevertheless, the availability of what we call 'alco-pops' and the cheapness of beer through supermarkets (cheaper than bottled water) has led to a tremendous amount of anti-social behaviour, criminal damage as well as personal injury and other disturbances which is eroding at the way of life in many town centres and communities throughout the UK.

I wouldn't pretend to know each countroes stats, However I'm sure there are an awful lot of adult drink related problems that start after the legal age. Every country has its own problems be it drink , violence, pregnancy etc, booze can and does contribute to this but in the hands of a responsible drinker and in moderation it doesn't matter the age, i've seen out of control adults under the influence !

I wouldn't pretend to know each countroes stats, However I'm sure there are an awful lot of adult drink related problems that start after the legal age. Every country has its own problems be it drink , violence, pregnancy etc, booze can and does contribute to this but in the hands of a responsible drinker and in moderation it doesn't matter the age, i've seen out of control adults under the influence !

LOL....On every cruise!!

If your 19 year old son or daughter just got back from a tour of duty from Iraq or Afganistan and the wanted a drink would'nt you think thats O.K.

Absolutely not. They swore to uphold the laws of the US, did they not? That is all that matters, is the law, whether you like it or not, and I'm not saying I always like it, but to argue is fruitless on any board, but if you want to change something, do it where it will matter, with your politicians!:D

Actually I do believe they swear to defend The Constitution, not silly laws that tell them they are old enough to sign a contract, vote, and die in a war but aren't mature enough to have a beer.

Some rules are just made to be broken.

Absolutely not. They swore to uphold the laws of the US, did they not? That is all that matters, is the law, whether you like it or not, and I'm not saying I always like it, but to argue is fruitless on any board, but if you want to change something, do it where it will matter, with your politicians!:D

We were in England last year and the drinking age there was 21. Each European country had a different policy.

Archived