Question For All First timers & those that remember the first time?

What was the number one concern that you had to overcome before you were able to say - "Let's book it; I'm taking this Cruise"!!!!.

Nothing. We didn't have to overcome anything. We had never thought about cruising, period.

Got an email with a great rate on a brand new ship leaving from our home port, so we did it and had fun.

We still do more land vacations than cruises. We will never cruise exclusively.

Not everyone has to like cruising. We have several friends who tried it once and that was enough for them. ;)

I am always interested in what keeps folks from cruising. Many friends of ours him and haw about taking the leap. I understand that some folks have extreme motion sickness and I understand that.

My question is...

What was the number one concern that you had to overcome before you were able to say - "Let's book it; I'm taking this Cruise"!!!!.

I was worried that the people doing the rowing might get tired.

We are about to book our first family cruise (I have cruised once with girlfriends) and my DH is not that excited. Aside from the cost, he worries that we'll feel trapped on the ship. He also worries that he will feel unsafe out on the open ocean without being able to see land.

I love being on the ocean and I love the idea of a family vacation like this. We spent 11 days at Disney last September, and so I think honestly DH's real concern is money. That Disney trip cost so much money, I almost couldn't believe it. Here we are, looking at another pricey trip... and I think he's just nervous.

We are about to book our first family cruise (I have cruised once with girlfriends) and my DH is not that excited. Aside from the cost, he worries that we'll feel trapped on the ship. He also worries that he will feel unsafe out on the open ocean without being able to see land.

I love being on the ocean and I love the idea of a family vacation like this. We spent 11 days at Disney last September, and so I think honestly DH's real concern is money. That Disney trip cost so much money, I almost couldn't believe it. Here we are, looking at another pricey trip... and I think he's just nervous.

Well maybe this thread will help him :) Seems like mythbusters may have bebunked the trapped feeling urban legend :D

Thanks for the post - : )

Then why are you on a cruise board?
Sorry that my post was a bit garbled.

What I was trying to say is that we are now traveling with kids, which changes the equation. When you favor in the benefits cruises offer families, they become a much more desirable option for us.

Sorry that my post was a bit garbled.

What I was trying to say is that we are now traveling with kids, which changes the equation. When you favor in the benefits cruises offer families, they become a much more desirable option for us.

What ages are you cruising with? Our child will be 16 months.... A bit young to fully enjoy the cruise but he will have fun. I have always noticed that the kids absolutely have a blast on the ships!!! I don't even think I took a vacation with my parents until I was 14 years old. I can only imagine how much fun it would be to be on a ship as a child :)

The only problem we have is the money. I'd love to cruise regularly. As it is, once every couple of years is what we can manage. We saved, saved, saved, for our first one, knowing we'd love it.

I just had to add my 3 and a half cents worth on this topic..

I think for most it is the cost of a cruise. (Little they know, as they just look at the listed price) We went on our first cruise in 2006, a gift from my DW's mother.. We have been hooked ever since.. Keep in mind, we did not have to pay for the first cruise however we did have to pay for our on-board stuff as well as excursions.. The second cruise we paid for 100%. It was last November for a Salute to Veterans cruise on the CCL Valor. (A bunch of Military Veterans got together and had a blast)

Aside from that, we met some wonderful folks.. A newlywed couple from Aussie land which we still have major contact with. (We live in Virginia)

We love cruising so much that we started the booking process for our third cruise before we were off the ship from our second. Here is the good part, well I think so anyway.. Say you want to go on a cruise in May of 2011.. Yeah it is a long time away, and it is only March of 2010.. Book it.. Yeah the deposit can hurt a little however then you have about a year to pay it off.. (Our second cruise was booked 445 days out) You can even pay off your on-board gratuities ahead of time if you wish. The point is, you can budget the expense ahead of time for a wonderful time on the ship.. Heck we even upgraded to a CAT 12 for the Valor cruise and when we booked our next cruise for October, we went ahead and booked a CAT 11. (Love that VIP boarding)

We have met some wonderful people. Oldsters as well as the youngins.. (We are in our early 50's) Two of these folks are joining us for the October cruise.. Find a good PVP as we have or a good trusted TA. They will take care of you..

Unpack once and see 3, 4 or more different places..

For those that get motion sickness, don't worry about it. Pick up the OTC meds for it and you should be fine.. Even when the seas get rough, which is not very often, they work wonders.. (My DW gets a little sea sick from time to time)

Trust me and others that say, once you do it, you WILL be hooked..

OK I have rambled enough..

Happy Cruising..

I am always interested in what keeps folks from cruising. Many friends of ours him and haw about taking the leap. I understand that some folks have extreme motion sickness and I understand that.

My question is...

People I have talked to fear motion sickness. Some don't realize the bargain with meals included. The price is scary if that is not considered.

:)

My question is...

We were both afraid we would be bored to screams on a cruise ship for a week. My sister and BIL kept saying how much they loved cruising, but they have few interests in common with us, so we fugured if they loved it, we would hate it.

We go to Key West a lot and we'd see gorgeous cruise ships docked there. We had to admit they were very impressive looking and we'd watch all the people get off the ship, looking as of they were having a wonderful time.

So we decied to give just one cruise a try. Our choice was Royal Caribbean's Mariner of the Seas to the Eastern Caribbean. Contrary to our misgivings, we loved that cruise and that ship so much we have been cruising very since!

I never had any concerns, but my brother and his wife won't cruise because they don't want to leave their two basset hounds!:eek: He will only go on vacations that he can bring his dogs along. I love my dogs too, but that is a crazy reason, IMO.:confused:

My DH is the same..won't leave the dogs but doesn't mind if DD and I go. I feel bad for him not going because I know he'd really enjoy it.One of the dogs is 16 1/2, blind, diabetic & almost deaf so really you can't leave her. He stays home to take care of her.

When I first read the title, I may have misconstrued its meaning...that being said, I think the first time on a cruise is pretty similar to the first time for other things. Make sure you're with somebody special, have a drink to help you relax, and don't worry about the little things...just go with the flow. ;) Happy cruising!

Oh, and to be specific, I booked our first cruise together for DW and my one year anniversary. We both are very excited for it.

I just had to add my 3 and a half cents worth on this topic..

I think for most it is the cost of a cruise. (Little they know, as they just look at the listed price) We went on our first cruise in 2006, a gift from my DW's mother.. We have been hooked ever since.. Keep in mind, we did not have to pay for the first cruise however we did have to pay for our on-board stuff as well as excursions.. The second cruise we paid for 100%. It was last November for a Salute to Veterans cruise on the CCL Valor. (A bunch of Military Veterans got together and had a blast)

Aside from that, we met some wonderful folks.. A newlywed couple from Aussie land which we still have major contact with. (We live in Virginia)

We love cruising so much that we started the booking process for our third cruise before we were off the ship from our second. Here is the good part, well I think so anyway.. Say you want to go on a cruise in May of 2011.. Yeah it is a long time away, and it is only March of 2010.. Book it.. Yeah the deposit can hurt a little however then you have about a year to pay it off.. (Our second cruise was booked 445 days out) You can even pay off your on-board gratuities ahead of time if you wish. The point is, you can budget the expense ahead of time for a wonderful time on the ship.. Heck we even upgraded to a CAT 12 for the Valor cruise and when we booked our next cruise for October, we went ahead and booked a CAT 11. (Love that VIP boarding)

We have met some wonderful people. Oldsters as well as the youngins.. (We are in our early 50's) Two of these folks are joining us for the October cruise.. Find a good PVP as we have or a good trusted TA. They will take care of you..

Unpack once and see 3, 4 or more different places..

For those that get motion sickness, don't worry about it. Pick up the OTC meds for it and you should be fine.. Even when the seas get rough, which is not very often, they work wonders.. (My DW gets a little sea sick from time to time)

Trust me and others that say, once you do it, you WILL be hooked..

OK I have rambled enough..

Happy Cruising..

I just loved your post!! What a nice gift from your mother-in-law. For me , as I said in an earlier post, it was money. I was a single mother, working 3 jobs to provide for and raise my 3 sons. They are all adults now and raising their own families and I am living a fairly comfortable lifestyle with my wonderful husband of almost 2 years. My best friend since childhood has gone on several cruises and I have always wanted to try it. Now that the finances are much better (I am thankful for this blessing everyday), DH and I are planning to celebrate our 2nd anniversary onboard the Veendam in Bermuda. I love CC so much and have learned a lot and I think I am already hooked. So much so that I am already planning our second cruise before we have even taken the first one.

On another note, thank you from the bottom of my heart for serving our country. My oldest son is a US Navy veteran and my husband was (always) a US Marine and my dear dear nephew, a US Marine, is fighting for us over in Afghanistan. God bless all who have served and who now serve. You are America's heroes.

a

Our number one concern was to find a baby sitter for our kids for a week back in 1972.

I've lost track of all our cruises in 38 years,but you will always remember your first cruise.

Our first cruise was on the oceanic (home lines).The ship became the big red boat for disney.Right now she is docked in freeport in the bahamas and is rusting away.

long cruiser

I've cruised with Princess once before and heading for my second Princess cruise in May. There are people of ALL ages. I am 29 and my boyfriend is 30 and we were able to make lots of (hopefully) lifelong friends on our last cruise. Some were our age.... and some were older (although they were our age at heart) and we had an amazing time!

Have fun!

Thanks! I just finished booking and am now super excited! I'm sure we'll have a fantastic time and meet lots of wonderful people :)

Thanks for all of of your shared memories. I enjoy my roll-call and I'm getting REALLY excited for my upcoming cruise.... But this thread is way up there with the things I look forward to reading. It seems to be running itself but if anyone else has been enjoying this thread please keep it on track while I am away. I would hate to come back from vacation and find out its a "heated discussion" about jeans in the dining room :eek:

My trip will begin on 4/6... we sail on the 9th :)

My question is...

Until recently I was never interested in cruising. Like many others I was certain I'd be trapped, claustrophobic, bored, and reduced to playing endless games of shuffleboard (too many episodes of The Love Boat as a child :rolleyes:).

But over the past couple of years more of my friends and family have been cruising and coming home with very positive experiences. I watched Samantha Brown having a blast on her cruises, and I gradually started to warm to the idea.

Last year, Samantha and my cousin finally convinced me to take the plunge. I'll be going on my first cruise (to the Mediterranean) next summer, and I'm super excited! It's an area that I've always wanted to visit, and I was attracted to the port-intensive schedule. I hope to be able to report back with a great review!

My wife and I are considering our first cruise in June.

The only thing that has ever held us back from cruising has always been price. All inclusive in the Caribbean are just so much cheaper, easier to book last minute at fantastic rates 800 - 1000 pp including flights.

AI's, aside from 1 dollar tips, you really don't have to worry about anything else once you've paid ... it really IS AI. A cruise on the other hand will probably run us double (from these boards I'm gathering probably even more) what a 5 star Mexican/Cuban/DR AI would cost.

I'm also a little worried about getting sea sick and worried about "not having enough time" to enjoy port stops. Wife and I are "beach bums" so we're also a little concerned that we won't get alot of beach time in (we don't really like pools).

Aside from that though I've always wanted to do a cruise ... the main issue has always been a money that's held us back.

My husband and I hve just booked a RCCL cruise next March with our 3 teenagers. We are doing a lot of research but what concerns me most is that there seem to be long lines for everything, and it sounds as though it may be impossible to get a deck chair. Any suggestions? Or are things not as difficult as they appear?

Thanks

DH is part of the "OMG I'll be trapped on a ship and bored" group. I told him that many many people seem to say the exact same thing and then love it. So we are booked on a 7 day in September. I really, really hope it goes well. Or it will probably be our last cruise (at least together :D)

My husband is in the same group. However, I've booked us on a 7 day cruise to the Bahamas in August. Hopefully he will like it. :)

Been cruising since 1972! If it wasn't for my mom to suggest a different vacation (we were all tired of going to Las Vegas, San Diego, going to see relatives - which is really no vacation, LOL), she said "let's take a cruise." Mom would always get a bit seasick but no matter what, always wanted to continue going on cruises. Here I am 75 cruises later, and I still love them! So, taking a cruise has never been an issue! I look for good deals so I can go at least twice a year and I'm not ready for retirement (no where close to retiring)!

My question is...

I was concerned that we didn't have the right clothes since I was going by the photos in all the brochures. So we didn't even think about taking a cruise. We did motorcoach tours instead.

Then we won a Caribbean cruise from Frommers Guidebooks and we discovered that folks on cruises wear the same kind of clothes I have in my closet. We discovered how much we love cruising and we've been cruising ever since, both informal and formal.

Archived