First Timer!!

Moosey3

Hi everyone,

First off let me say how addictive these boards are and how amazingly helpful I find all the posts!

My boyfriend and I are planning on taking our first cruise this August. He's a high school teacher so that's the only time we can go. We were thinking about a 14 night cruise. Do you think this will be too long for our first cruise??

We were looking at the Emerald Princess or the Norwegian Epic which both do Eastern and Western Caribbean. At first I was all for trying the Epic but now I'm leaning more towards the Emerald because it has such great reviews and goes to more ports. Would you take a chance on a new ship or go with an older one? I know that's a completely personal opinion but just looking for advice. Have any of you sailed on the Emerald (I'll post this in the Princess section as well)? I'm a little worried that with all the pay extra activities and restaurants offered on the Epic we would be enticed to spend more. We both like to relax by the pool and are pretty easy going (not picky or fussy at all). I'm big into food so I'm excited to cruise since I hear it's non-stop eating :)

What do you think the weather will be like at that time of the year? I've looked into it and it seems to be hot but I know that's also the start of hurricane season. Have any of you cruised the Caribbean in August and if so did you get a lot of rain?

Any opinions and advice is welcome!!

Thanks in advance :)

Denise

Welcome to the CruiseCritic.

It is always hot in the Caribbean, so don't let that bother you.

There is a chance of a hurricane, but that is true half the year. The Captain will do his best to avoid the storm if one is in the area.

I don't think 2 weeks is too long...but whether it is for YOU is a different story!

There is no real reason to spend a ton onboard....except for the alcohol, the other stuff is just "fluff"...you can have a GREAT time without the specialty restaurants, the spa treatments and such!

Weather in the Caribbean is generally very nice...the ship will try to avoid showers, when possible, and if it rains on an island, it's usually short-lived and it's still nice and hot. You can't even worry about hurricanes...you have no control over them, and they truly can't be predicted this far out! Just go, and have a great time!

OP, I'm a lot like your DBF (I Hope) I love Mooseys too.

Enjoy your cruise it will be what you make of it. Read as much as you can here and any other resource you might hive. Library travel books are a great reference as well. NOTHING written anywhere is law so don't think you have to do things like use devices to smuggle alcohol on board (if at all) or stand at the bow like Titanic at sailaway. The cruise is YOUR vacation, take everything for what it is and have fun. [sermon over, is it time for the collection?]

Thanks again for all the help! Janet I checked out your packing list before even joining and it's amazing so I will definitely be using it.

MedicKen I have no idea what Mooseys are! My user name is a play on words about my last name. But now I'm intrigued to know what they are :). Oh and since you mentioned smuggling alcohol I have to admit I was definitely considering it. I know I'll probably get flammed for mentioning that! If not then I've heard Princess has $2.99 cocktails after 8:00 pm so those might just get me by!

Thanks again for all the help! Janet I checked out your packing list before even joining and it's amazing so I will definitely be using it.

MedicKen I have no idea what Mooseys are! My user name is a play on words about my last name. But now I'm intrigued to know what they are :). Oh and since you mentioned smuggling alcohol I have to admit I was definitely considering it. I know I'll probably get flammed for mentioning that! If not then I've heard Princess has $2.99 cocktails after 8:00 pm so those might just get me by!

Wifey is from Scotland, and according to her, a "moosy" is a little, gray, furry animal that likes cheese.

You are going to have so much fun, dont get caught up in the buy buy buy mode or you'll go broke (as i did my 1st cruise), this cruise I searched ways to save some money, have fun and truly enjoy my 2nd cruise and the boards here have tons of advise, and also snarky folks, yea for the 1st and just ignore the snarks! do a search of Rum Runners and enjoy all the posts there, once again IGNORE all the snarky remarks like a grain of salt!

Most of all spend as much time reading all the boards and its like a mini-vacation!!! I'm on the Emerald in 6 weeks and terribly excited and ready to go!!!!!

Life is Beautiful! :p

Snarky people suck, LOL;)

You are going to have so much fun, dont get caught up in the buy buy buy mode or you'll go broke (as i did my 1st cruise), this cruise I searched ways to save some money, have fun and truly enjoy my 2nd cruise and the boards here have tons of advise, and also snarky folks, yea for the 1st and just ignore the snarks! do a search of Rum Runners and enjoy all the posts there, once again IGNORE all the snarky remarks like a grain of salt!

Most of all spend as much time reading all the boards and its like a mini-vacation!!! I'm on the Emerald in 6 weeks and terribly excited and ready to go!!!!!

Life is Beautiful! :p

Snarky people suck, LOL;)

Tessa,

I hope you're not referring to my comment about what a moosey is, when you are talking about snarky people!! It certainly not meant in that way, and I actually wanted to add an LOL or a :D after I hit the submit button, but there doesn't appear to be a way to edit a post. If it came across that way, I apologize, it was meant to be a good natured joke. :)

Hi everyone,

First off let me say how addictive these boards are and how amazingly helpful I find all the posts!

My boyfriend and I are planning on taking our first cruise this August. He's a high school teacher so that's the only time we can go. We were thinking about a 14 night cruise. Do you think this will be too long for our first cruise??

We were looking at the Emerald Princess or the Norwegian Epic which both do Eastern and Western Caribbean. At first I was all for trying the Epic but now I'm leaning more towards the Emerald because it has such great reviews and goes to more ports. Would you take a chance on a new ship or go with an older one? I know that's a completely personal opinion but just looking for advice. Have any of you sailed on the Emerald (I'll post this in the Princess section as well)? I'm a little worried that with all the pay extra activities and restaurants offered on the Epic we would be enticed to spend more. We both like to relax by the pool and are pretty easy going (not picky or fussy at all). I'm big into food so I'm excited to cruise since I hear it's non-stop eating :)

What do you think the weather will be like at that time of the year? I've looked into it and it seems to be hot but I know that's also the start of hurricane season. Have any of you cruised the Caribbean in August and if so did you get a lot of rain?

Any opinions and advice is welcome!!

Thanks in advance :)

Denise

Only my opinion but 14 nights for a very first cruise is way too much.

You have no idea what it "feels" to be on a ship. I have done so many cruises myself and I don't even think I could handle 14 nights myself.

I would do a week long tops. But that is just me.

Brewzz don't worry I didn't take any offence! But just so you know it's Moosey not Mousey :P

Glad you didn't take any offense!!

The joke was concerning Wifeys Scottish accent; if there was a mouse in the house, she would say "There's a moose in the hoose!!"

Of course, she'd be saying that in a rather loud, high pitched tone, while she's either hiding behind me, or climbing on top of the kitchen cabinets. :D

Glad you didn't take any offense!!

The joke was concerning Wifeys Scottish accent; if there was a mouse in the house, she would say "There's a moose in the hoose!!"

Of course, she'd be saying that in a rather loud, high pitched tone, while she's either hiding behind me, or climbing on top of the kitchen cabinets. :D

That must be quite the sight!!

Only my opinion but 14 nights for a very first cruise is way too much.

You have no idea what it "feels" to be on a ship. I have done so many cruises myself and I don't even think I could handle 14 nights myself.

I would do a week long tops. But that is just me.

Thanks! We normally do a couple of vacations a year and this year we have yet to go on one so I was hoping to make our cruise extra long. I wasn't sure if 14 nights would be too long. Thanks for the input.

I recommend Princess over Norweigan...I am biased, but my folks have done both & put Norweigan a distant fourth (and last) compared to Celebrity, RCL & Princess.

One nice thing on Princess you can bring water, soda & wine aboard. (we have also snuck alcohol in our suitcase...) You can choose to spend as much or as little as you want. Do not pay for shore excursions...site see on your own. Avoid paying for drinks. Take your own pictures (tho we always get one formal pic on every cruise for $20-30--you cant get a sitting fee for that price. Bingo/gambling will run up your bill fast, as will shopping.

Have fun!

I recommend Princess over Norweigan...I am biased, but my folks have done both & put Norweigan a distant fourth (and last) compared to Celebrity, RCL & Princess.

One nice thing on Princess you can bring water, soda & wine aboard. (we have also snuck alcohol in our suitcase...) You can choose to spend as much or as little as you want. Do not pay for shore excursions...site see on your own. Avoid paying for drinks. Take your own pictures (tho we always get one formal pic on every cruise for $20-30--you cant get a sitting fee for that price. Bingo/gambling will run up your bill fast, as will shopping.

Have fun!

Thanks for the advice :) I think we have decided to go on the Emerald Princess. I've read amazing reviews about this ship and the more I think about it I'm not sure I'm willing to gamble on a ship that hasn't even sailed yet for our first cruise. I also think we've decided to do 7 nights instead of 14 just in case cruising doesn't agree with us and we get seasick. Just about to go and finalize the details with my boyfriend and hopefully book!

Now my other question is who should I book with?? I've talked to a travel agent and to be honest I think her price was higher than I have seen online. Is it okay to book directly with an online provider? I've spoke to them as well. I just want to get the best price possible (doesn't everybody!).

Thanks again!

Thanks for the advice :) I think we have decided to go on the Emerald Princess. I've read amazing reviews about this ship and the more I think about it I'm not sure I'm willing to gamble on a ship that hasn't even sailed yet for our first cruise. I also think we've decided to do 7 nights instead of 14 just in case cruising doesn't agree with us and we get seasick. Just about to go and finalize the details with my boyfriend and hopefully book!

Now my other question is who should I book with?? I've talked to a travel agent and to be honest I think her price was higher than I have seen online. Is it okay to book directly with an online provider? I've spoke to them as well. I just want to get the best price possible (doesn't everybody!).

Thanks again!

You can also book directly with Princess. DH and I have been on 2 cruises so far and I booked both directly with the cruise line. Worked great.

I must say that my wife is determined to get me on a cruise,I love her so here we go....

We are considering a mexico cruise out of san diego between 3-6 nts. We are both 40 with kids and need a break. we arent partiers, but have been known to go out for bahama mamas and appetizers together quite a bit. I am big on nice rooms, good food, and relaxation. Sooo many ships to choose from can anyone help us make a decision?????

Thanks to all.....

Tessa,

I hope you're not referring to my comment about what a moosey is, when you are talking about snarky people!! It certainly not meant in that way, and I actually wanted to add an LOL or a :D after I hit the submit button, but there doesn't appear to be a way to edit a post. If it came across that way, I apologize, it was meant to be a good natured joke. :)

no no no not you at all! I was speaking in general, I've become quite addicted to this site but do find there is a lot of snarky remarks on here so its nice to know up front to just ignore those people and enjoy the good one's

Stephanie aka Tessa

I must say that my wife is determined to get me on a cruise,I love her so here we go....

We are considering a mexico cruise out of san diego between 3-6 nts. We are both 40 with kids and need a break. we arent partiers, but have been known to go out for bahama mamas and appetizers together quite a bit. I am big on nice rooms, good food, and relaxation. Sooo many ships to choose from can anyone help us make a decision?????

Thanks to all.....

The only cruise lines I have been on is the Princess and the Carnival. I like them both. If you are going with kids I would say take Carnival, they are very kid friendly and have kids clubs for all age groups, the prices are good, the rooms are bigger than those on the princess to include the size of the bathrooms, the food is as every bit as good. The difference is the Princess has more of a formal atmosphere and the Carnival is more laid back. Carnival has free 24 hr room service and 24 hr pizza and soft serve ice cream, Princess does not (not 24 hr) but has a limited 24 hr buffet. The Princess pools are a little larger, hot tubs about the same. Both the service is excellent, room stewards, dining room hosts etc... Some of the Princess ships has a adult only swimming pool area, Carnival does not, but now some ships have a serenity adult only area with lounge chairs .. and hot tubs.

I would not go on a 3 night.. not long enough... would do at least a 4.. or 5... preferably the 5, unless you get the price so cheap that it is worth just the 3 day... because it is just too short, you really need a 5 to enjoy yourself, the ship and the ports it goes to.

I usually take Carnival and I my children are adult now. The price is good, I generally like the ports they go to, the rooms are nice size. The beds and pillows are so comfortable I wish I could take them home with me. The bathroom is actually large enough that 2 people can stand in there. The one in the Princess I could shower and brush my teeth at the sink at the same time, there was no way someone could take a shower and someone brush thier teeth at the same time... you would be hitting them in the shower if you moved any at all (on the princess) at least the ship I was on. But this is not to say the rooms were not great and the service fantastic, as it is on both ships.

For some Carnival information check out seauonboard.com

Archived