Snack ok in carry on on NCL Spirit?

lbeatty

I'm a newbie here. :)

First time cruising on the NCL Spirit.

Is it ok to have a snack in my carry on when boarding the ship? Nothing that will be for the whole cruise just for that first day, maybe leftover from the trip to the pier?? Like brownies, a muffin or cookies?

Also, is it common for folks to board with water or soda? Or will it be taken? If ok, is it best to put in carry on or in checked luggage?

Thanks so much! :)

I'm a newbie here. :)

First time cruising on the NCL Spirit.

Is it ok to have a snack in my carry on when boarding the ship? Nothing that will be for the whole cruise just for that first day, maybe leftover from the trip to the pier?? Like brownies, a muffin or cookies?

Thanks so much! :)

Just make sure there's room in your carry-off for muffins, cookies etc when disembarking at the end of your cruise :)

John Bull

you can have SNACKs in your carry-on pretty much what you want...for those late nights or too to take with you off ship on shore on excursions

make sure THOSE are pre-packaged items...not just something in a zip-lock...all food items must be pre-packaged that are taken off the ship...no items such as fruit or food from the ship is to be taken off...but PRE-PACKAGED are okay!!

it is common for passengers to bring on water (altho the ships is just fine--bring a water bottle or two to refill) and they bring on soda too...we just carry-on ours in our small shoulder tote coolers..

Welcome to Cruise Critic Lbeatty.

You really won't need to bring any snacks aboard with you. As soon as you board the ship you can proceed directly to the Lido for lunch where you will find a complete smorgasbord of offerings from soup to nuts. You can easily steal a brownie or cookie here and take one back to your cabin. ;)

Jonathan

OP: Welcome to CC. Have no fear there is somewhere to eat or drink every 50 feet or so it seems. The buffet will be open when you board for that first "Cheeseburger in Paradise". But if you really want to bring your own snacks have at it. No one at the terminal will tell you not to. Personaly I am a diabetic and take a couple of granola bars everywhere I go. Never can tell when a little low sugar may kick in and there is nothing else to munch on. Enjoy your cruise and don't sweat the small stuff.

GREAT! Thanks everyone. :)

It's actually for my picky 10 year old.

I'm still too afraid to bring my own water or soda but certainly tempted so I thought I'd ask what others have done.

Thanks again.

GREAT! Thanks everyone. :)

It's actually for my picky 10 year old.

I'm still too afraid to bring my own water or soda but certainly tempted so I thought I'd ask what others have done.

Thanks again.

Generally you can bring on a "reasonable amount" of soda. "Reasonable amount" is open to interpretation, but I've seen people with a case of 12 cans, for example. There is of course soda available (for a price) on the ship, and all the lines have soda cards, where you can get all the soda you can drink -- for a price. Usually you 'd need to drink 3-4 sodas a day to make them worthwhile.

As for the water: the ships water is very very pure. Clean. Clear. Especially if you're going to be toting soda, yo might just want to bring along a few bottles of your favorite water, then refill them from the various taps and fountains you'll find all over the ship. Keep a couple in your cabins refrigerator, or in the ice bucket in your cabin (which your steward will gladly keep filled with ice), and you'll be good to go!

We always bring a couple of bottles of water - they are nice to have for port days and we've never had a problem bringing them on. We usually bring some kind of chips and the last time I brought chocolate mints to tuck into the towel animals (with a couple of $) for the room stewards...they seemed to get a a kick out of that.

I akways bring some prepackaged food because I have had the misfortune of being delayed at embarkation, waiting for the ship to be cleared by the CoastGuard & FBI:eek:.

FBI?!?!?! I really try not to be too nosy, but not knowing why the FBI was holding everything up would have driven me nuts!!!!:eek::p:eek::p

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again!

It's getting close. I'm getting very excited. :)

So it's alright to bring some soda, right? I was going to put it in my carry on bag. Is that the best way?

Also, I have a small roll away suitcase and was going to use that as my carry on (20 inches). I was going to put the soda and change of clothes in that. Sound good? What else would I need in a carry on? Toiletries?

What about bathing suit? Do you wear it under your clothes or not necessary? What do most do that first afternoon/evening?

I just got an email about the bar set up. I had to request the price of the liquors I was interested in. I asked about Peppermint Schnapps (and Baileys and Captain Morgan) but she said she wasn't familiar with PS and didn't know if there was a similar one on the list. Oh well. So I will probably get the Captain Morgan. The prices were $63 for CM and $83 for Baileys.

Thanks everyone!

Hi again!

It's getting close. I'm getting very excited. :)

So it's alright to bring some soda, right? I was going to put it in my carry on bag. Is that the best way?

Also, I have a small roll away suitcase and was going to use that as my carry on (20 inches). I was going to put the soda and change of clothes in that. Sound good? What else would I need in a carry on? Toiletries?

What about bathing suit? Do you wear it under your clothes or not necessary? What do most do that first afternoon/evening?

I just got an email about the bar set up. I had to request the price of the liquors I was interested in. I asked about Peppermint Schnapps (and Baileys and Captain Morgan) but she said she wasn't familiar with PS and didn't know if there was a similar one on the list. Oh well. So I will probably get the Captain Morgan. The prices were $63 for CM and $83 for Baileys.

Thanks everyone!

Since you say its getting close can i ask which sailing on the Spirit are you on? If its the April 11th Repo out of New orleans have you joined our Roll Call? We have 140+ members and are a real lively bunch with lots of activities planned!

Since you say its getting close can i ask which sailing on the Spirit are you on? If its the April 11th Repo out of New orleans have you joined our Roll Call? We have 140+ members and are a real lively bunch with lots of activities planned!

Sure, it's the May 7th out of Boston. Sorry we won't see you guys!

This is a fun thread. We do agree with the others that bringing on snacks is a bit silly unless you have something that you crave that cannot be found on a ship (knew somebody who would always bring Oreos). As to water and soda, we usually bring a few bottles of diet coke on cruises so that we have it to drink in our cabin or on the balcony (a can of coke on a ship costs more then $2). On cruise lines such as Princess and Holland America we also bring a few bottles (or a box) of wine to enjoy on our balcony (some lines do not permit passengers to bring any alcohol aboard). The tap water on cruise ships is still free (at least this week) and normally pretty good. For those that simply must have bottled water does make sense to bring some aboard for your cabin since you will pay a lot more for bottled water on the ship.

Hank

Archived