Nifty & Thrifty Find's

Bump!

Love this thread since I am a dollar tree addict! Less than 3 weeks to go, I better get my butt over there. I'm a big fan of getting toiletries there and leaving them behind at the end since I HATE unpacking at home. I can even do this with make up basis, I've found maybelline brand and also e.l.f. brand which I like. Mega bargain on the maybelline!

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

I make the most of sample sizes for toiletries. Dollar Tree and Big Lots are our favourites. I know Sephora isn't a bargain shopping store, but each time you order online, you get to select 3 free samples. When the order is delivered the samples go in my "vacation bag." I already have most of the things I need for our February cruise.

• 3 weeks later...

On a cross-country trip some years ago (Las Vegas to Louisville, KY, to Mt. Rushmore to Capitola, CA, back to Las Vegas), we stopped at a church flea market in Rapid City (I think). It was later in the day, and they wanted to get rid of more stuff, so everything was half price. I found a stunning red velvet dress with a large V-back and a rhinestone-studded bow at the base of the V. $1. I have worn it on several cruises, and it never fails to get compliments.

On one of our many cruises during October I bought to hang on the outside of our cabin door a picture of "Frankenstein" (full size fit the door) it was the talk all over the ship! We even won a "ship on a stick" for best decorated door, and it was shown on the TV. All the cabin stewards on our floor would come by to look at it. We left it for our cabin steward. We had a lot of fun with that door decoration!

Love all the tips on this thread, keep them coming.

• 2 weeks later...

Just scrolled through several pages and love the tips and ideas, so sharing mine for a recent Med cruise. Some may have already been mentioned since I didn't read every page. We stayed 4 days in Rome before the cruise so we were challenged by traveling light and carrying enough. At dollar tree I bought a folding/collapsible cube. Folds flat and light as a feather. When we arrive, we put all our toiletries, travel hair dryer, flat iron, hair brushes, make up into it and just grab it when it's time to shower and get ready. We have everything in one transportable "box" with handles. Made moving from bathroom to room or cabin so easy and fast and kept everything in the cabin in order. My daughters were jealous so I've purchased one for them for our upcoming Med cruise this June. The rain ponchos are our good luck charm (knock on wood). I also buy a few of the clear plastic "pencil pouch" that have the 3-ring binder holes. I use one for receipts. It stays in the binder I use until cruise time, then I just toss it into my carry on for easy access. I use one as a "tip" envelope, which I toss into the desk drawer in the cabin, with small bills for easy access for room service. Ulta has a $1-2-3 table. They have a tiny plastic container with little round nail polish remover sheets. They are extremely thin and they are fabulous..and don't spill. I buy the sample size nail polish at Sally's beauty supply for $1 for easy touch-up. Best tip I ever got on here was the big 2.5 gal zip lock bags. I buy them at the dollar store. I can put shoes and clothes in them. When I arrive, I can wipe out the drawers with an antiseptic wipe, toss the zip-locks into the drawers and I'm unpacked. I use all different sizes of the clear plastic bags. Sets of underwear go in one size, jewelry in the snack size, shoes, pjs, t-shirt and shorts outfits go into the large ones. When I'm ready to shower, I grab the collapsible tote and my zip locks and head to the shower. When I finish showering, the dirty clothes go into the empty zip lock bag, gets tossed into the suitcase and at the end of the cruise, I don't have to waste any of the last day/night packing..it's practically done. If you have small children, the zip locks can have a complete change of clothes and you don't have to search for a matching outfit. Grab and go! Also being able to squish out the air makes packing light easier. Anything wet or sweaty doesn't stink up or ruin your other clothes when packing for home. Our group can't resist a last night swim and we always have a wet/damp swimsuit to pack. I pick up a crossword and word search puzzle at the dollar store for the LONG plane ride... lulls me into a nice long nap on the plane. I also grab the individually packaged snacks for the plane (especially in case of those delays) and a big help to keep the kids quiet and happy on the plane when the meal isn't what or when they want it..trail mix, granola bars, rice crispy treats and everyone puts one in their carry on so that I'm not stuck with them all in mine and searching for what someone else wants. Dollar store has cheap change purses for those euro coins and I drop one of those into my cross-over bag for tipping in Europe. I grab a few of the "magic" washcloths that expand when they get wet. In LOADS of the small hotels in Europe, their idea of a washcloth is more like a linen dish cloth. We were EXTREMELY grateful for the ones I tossed into my luggage, even though I got made fun of for this dollar store purchase before they discovered the Italian version of a washcloth. We tossed them at the hotel, even though they took up no real space. Everyone got a different character from a princess to a super hero which provided a good laugh..lol. The kids would love these..we were all adults/teens. Hope these tips help someone else, since I originally got almost all of them from here a few years ago ;).

• 2 months later...

I was at Harbor Freight Tools w/DH and decided to just wander around. Major score!!! Little bottles of "craft magnets" in a small bottle, contains 8-10 dime sized magnets for $.33. Yep, I bought 3 sets for less than $1. Since walls and doors are metal, I can use these to put up my door decorations and hang things in the cabin as well. I have been looking at outlet extenders (like a power strip but they plug directly into the outlet and convert a 2 outlet into 4 or 6) but they have all been around $10. Found one of these at Harbor Freight for $3. They even had 4 outlet power strips for about the same price but this is smaller and lighter.

At Sam's Club and I got a very colorful beach blanket that folds into its own very flat tote for $15. I know we don't really need it since they provide beach towels but I thought it would be helpful to identify our spots among so many identical beach towels.

Cruise shopping is almost as much fun as cruise packing:D Only 43 days until my 2 wk cruise vacation!!

• 4 weeks later...
It is important to remember that, depending on where you travel, your medication may have to be in its original bottle from the pharmacy.

I have never found that to be true. We have traveled for 42 years and never questioned anywhere in the world! I always carry mine in individually tiny ziplock bags labeled "morning" and "night" and never once been questioned. YMMV

We carry dh's meds mixed in the mini travel boxes by day but I always have a printout from the pharmacy of what they are.

If we ever have a problem I'll get the pharmacy to do his pills in the mixed blister packs to take after that.

I can see original bottles being more important for strong painkillers like oxycotin and other types of drugs because they want to know that you are not bringing them to sell.

I have never found that to be true. We have traveled for 42 years and never questioned anywhere in the world! I always carry mine in individually tiny ziplock bags labeled "morning" and "night" and never once been questioned. YMMV

Lucky you...it has happened to me twice...once in London and once in Italy.

Just wanted to share that I just bought a tablet-sleeve at Dollar Tree. I received a Nook for Christmas from my children and have yet to purchase a proper cover. I came across this cheapie that will make-do until I can find one that I really like.

Here is a pic if anyone is interested. I got one in hot pink, but some of the other colors were: black, red, Forest Green, Aqua, and a medium shade of Blue.

I found it in the auto accessories asile not the stationary and office supply section.

http://www.dollartree.com/office-school/electronics/Tablet-Sleeves/610c548c548p333606/index.pro

I also found a To-Go wine glass. I bought only one for cruising but should have stocked up as they sold quickly. Perhaps they will

come back again as some items seem to do. Here is a pick of the exact style glass that I got. The pic is from Amazon as I could not

find it on the Dollar Tree site as they may be out of stock at this time.

I like them because they are made of a hard-durable plastic and also contain a tight fitting lid. They would have made a nice

gift for fellow friends and cruisers.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=to+go+wine+glasses&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=36365986238&hvpos=1t4&hvexid=&hvnetw=s&hvrand=2524768621708214515&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_5nc0slbr9t_b

Edited by FlaGrl4Evr

Looks like this thread has been around for a while but I love it!

Last cruise I found plastic collapsible water bottles with a belt hook in the dollar store. What a great find, I used mine for iced tea from the buffet hubby used his for water! They were great.

Also have used those plastic pill holders to put earrings and rings in!

Also pick up clearance ribbons after a holiday and always decorate our door area with a bow. Makes it easier to find our door.

I make the most of sample sizes for toiletries. Dollar Tree and Big Lots are our favourites. I know Sephora isn't a bargain shopping store, but each time you order online, you get to select 3 free samples. When the order is delivered the samples go in my "vacation bag." I already have most of the things I need for our February cruise.
I signed up for Sephora's Beauty Insider and last year for my birthday I got a mini mascara and a skin brightener that I took on our cruise.

Looks like 2014 is "The set features deluxe size samples of MAKE UP FOR EVER's Smoky Extravagant mascara and Rouge Artist Natural lipstick in N9."

I also got a sample bag at Christmas time with a few mini items when I made a $25 order.

Just wanted to share that I just bought a tablet-sleeve at Dollar Tree. I received a Nook for Christmas from my children and have yet to purchase a proper cover. I came across this cheapie that will make-do until I can find one that I really like.

Here is a pic if anyone is interested. I got one in hot pink, but some of the other colors were: black, red, Forest Green, Aqua, and a medium shade of Blue.

I found it in the auto accessories asile not the stationary and office supply section.

http://www.dollartree.com/office-school/electronics/Tablet-Sleeves/610c548c548p333606/index.pro

I had one of those at home and I cut the bottom end off to use as a cheap and colourful knee wrap for a strain. I have big knees and none of the drug store wraps were large enough to be comfortable.

For under 2 dollars I bought a spare for the future and one to sew into new neoprene wrist supports for volleyball like an old store bought pair that I can't find anymore.

I also found a To-Go wine glass. I bought only one for cruising but should have stocked up as they sold quickly. Perhaps they will

come back again as some items seem to do. Here is a pick of the exact style glass that I got. The pic is from Amazon as I could not

find it on the Dollar Tree site as they may be out of stock at this time.

I like them because they are made of a hard-durable plastic and also contain a tight fitting lid. They would have made a nice

gift for fellow friends and cruisers.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=to+go+wine+glasses&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=36365986238&hvpos=1t4&hvexid=&hvnetw=s&hvrand=2524768621708214515&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_5nc0slbr9t_b

Thanks for sharing, I'm going to get a couple of those wine glasses for when I go on our next cruise! Wish it was soon:D

I love the Dollar Tree and have gotten some great things there. I got the cutest, small, reading glasses there. They are so cute and work really well. I also get a bunch of these little plastic packages that contain those soft wiping cloths for cleaning your glasses. At $1 a piece, I have reading glasses in every room of my house, including the kitchen and bathrooms so I never have to run around to get one when I need it. LOL!

Edited by mousey

Thanks for sharing, I'm going to get a couple of those wine glasses for when I go on our next cruise! Wish it was soon:D

I love the Dollar Tree and have gotten some great things there. I got the cutest, small, reading glasses there. They are so cute and work really well. I also get a bunch of these little plastic packages that contain those soft wiping cloths for cleaning your glasses. At $1 a piece, I have reading glasses in every room of my house, including the kitchen and bathrooms so I never have to run around to get one when I need it. LOL!

I recently found a pair of black cat eye ones with rhinestones there that everyone comments on (in a good way). Better quality and clearer than I've seen in the past at dollar stores.

I have them everywhere also. Most I've bought with 40% off coupons from Michaels craft stores.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I still can't buy stuff to plan to throw it away. It's more about environmental guilt than the waste of money. I take a reusable travel cup from Starbucks that you could put your own paper insert in the side. Mine is photos of us, pets and cruising cartoons.

I love the Dollar Store. Sorry that this is a little off topic, but is one of my favorite newspaper articles of all time.

ShowLetter.jpg

That's spit-my-coffee-out funny !!!!! I wonder if she is on the People of Walmart site?

She is most likely the one's that you see coming into the store dressed in PJ bottoms and slippers. Not to be mean, but if you get dressed-up for Walmart what does Dollar-Palace attire entail ?

I have seen a couple of posts about taking power strips for their cabins. I was watching tv last week and saw a segment talking about plugin that had three electrical outlets and two ups outlets. I missed where to buy. Anyone have any ideas?

I make a few of these to help keep the clutter under control when we travel:

http://www.origami-instructions.com/origami-box

You can cut an 8-1/2 inch square from a letter size sheet of paper for a box that is a bit under three inches square, but I usually use a piece of 12x12 scrapbook paper for a box that is a bit over 4 inches square. You can use plain paper or pretty paper if you want to leave it out. Then you can recycle or toss at the end of the cruise. I use these when we travel, in my desk at work, and even use two pieces of pretty patterned paper to make gift boxes (cut about 1/2 inch off the length and width of one piece of paper for the bottom so the top will fit comfortably on top.)

The only cost is for the paper, and it can be as plain or as fancy as you want it to be. And it's easy enough for kids to do too!

When I use these for travel I unfold the sides so they lay flat for travel..... and put them in my travel folder so they are easy to find.